Is all of the attention ruining BF?

Josher5513

Is anyone else thinking that maybe the relatively recent media blitz, and online exposure explosion have contributed to the pretty dull BF ad's so far this year?

Those of us with a background in business management realize that these sales are pretty much set in stone FAR advance, with the exception of some last minute deals. So, many retailers were hurting after last years poor holiday numbers, and didn't stock up on inventory this year, therefore realize they don't need to be discounting as much to push product this year.

As far as Black Friday goes, I think the retailers realize now that no matter what, there will be lines around the block for whatever is in the ad, because of the hype that has developed.. I've been camping out for Black Friday since about 2003. Every year, I've had to get in line earlier and earlier.. My last year was 2005, when I got in line at Circuit City at 7:30, and was number two.. Number three didn't arrive until 2 hours later. In 2006, there was a line 10 deep by 4pm. Even worse in 2007. I've notice every year it seems there are more people who don't realize when things aren't really THAT BIG of a sale, they just go thinking it has to be, because it's the infamous Black Friday. They see something in the ad, and automatically think it must be a HUGE discount. It seems retailers have caught on to this, and over the past couple of years have eased up on the deals, because they realize this day they will sell the items in those ads, no matter what (Not including Wal Mart's problems last year).

It's just a little disappointing, this year.

A lot of people aren't really paying attention to the ads before Black Friday.. I am finding just as good of deals in the last couple of weeks of papers as I will on Black Friday. Of course with the exception of some things. I love Black Friday and will be out there in it and have been for the last 10 years but I think I do it more now for the humor and spirit of it. Also word is getting around more.. There are a lot of people that didn't know about BF and now they are learning. I have been really really disappointed in the last 2 years ads.... I was hoping this year would be a little better but it isn't looking that way.

I agree :gdyeahthat:

I have found things this week and last that are the same prices in some of these BF scans.

For example, (and I know folks this isn't about a highly sought after laptop but) I got Hershey's Pot of Gold at Walgreens on Sunday, 2 boxes for $6 I bought 10 boxes--I could have easily bought 20, there was NO limit and no line when I was there.

These same chocolates are advertised in TWO BF ads @ 2.99 and people will be all huddled around them trying to scarf up the flavor they want on that day...

Also I found Christmas cards --exact same style, cheaper now, also a game, cheaper now...

And Target "tentative" list includes the Dr. Suess game that my son wants, for 14.99 (it is regularly 19.99 at both Target and TRU)

I plan to buy this game, Fri the 14th at the TRU 2 days sale, with the percentage off, it will be only 12.99!!

:gdconsoling1:it does seem to be a disappointing year, for the BF ads, thus far...

I have not seen anything in the ads this year that make me want to stand out in the cold for hours in "hopes" of getting it. I have been happily finding deals online that are as good as, or close to, the Black Friday scans. Stores realize that they don't need to do much on Black Friday anymore, as some people that think they will find an amazing deal are willing to brave bad weather and long lines. The only hot deals that I have seen are on high end electronics, which I don't buy, and a few select toys.

I would rather order online and avoid the craziness again this year...and I will spend maybe 5% more than if I had went to the stores. That 5% is the gas and food I would have spent money on anyway....so it evens out. Plus, by shopping clearance sales online early, I am saving a ton of money :smart: I plan to be ordering online after Thanksgiving dinner again this year, as I saved around $200 last year doing it....and was warm and cozy. :yup:

I agree. I dont think the sales are good at all. I am so disapointed. I am not all that excited this yr. A few yrs ago I took a hundred bucks with me on black friday and I was able to completly fill up our blazer and stiil had things on my lap. This yr a hundred bucks wont last me 10 min.:(

I think that we all wait for ads and get too exicted. Then when they come out you or me do not see what we want and call the ad garabage. But just becauce you or me dosent like the ad, that will not stop all the people who do. This is a great wesite but not everyone in the country goes here. so people who do not go here wil say hey thats a great price.Furthermore waiting for black friday for as an employee has made me anxious as my store has not released it's ad yet. But iam getting ready and expect all stores to be busy.

I think this is the year we will find just as good of deals throughout the season as on BF because retailers can;t carry the inventory they used to and people don;t have credit to make the huge purchases in one day. So far most of the stuff on my lists I have found at prices that I know will rival BF ads and with the exception of my Disney Store stuff which I am fairly sure with the extra BF% off will be cheaper on BF (both in store and online) thats probably the only thing I will buy on BF.

The only ad that may be earthshattering from the rumbles around the inductry is WalMart and apparantly we won;t know whats in that ad for another week or so.

I agree. None of the current leaked ads excite me. If I find a nice deal on what I want before BF I will buy it and skip the standing in line thing or at least roll in around 6am. Though if I had someone to tag along I would consider standing inline but all my friends are hurting big time by the economy and just can't afford BF this year.

Only other friend I am trying to convince to go but she is too scared to go.

I would have to disagree and say that the economy has more effect on the pricing than the attention. If you pay attention to ALL sales throughout the year NONE of them are as good. Things like Back to School sales, Memorial Day sales, etc. that used to containg fantastic deals just are barely worth going to anymore. Retailers just don't have as much leway (sp?) these days. And with media attention or not they know that they are going to have customers for these sales.

The average person (not the people on here) think that just because it has the word "sale" attached to it that it's automatically way cheaper. That's just not true. EX, my husband works reatial and his company will put something out on the shelves for a week or so then mark it down to where it will stay. They intend for it to be the cheaper price all along but by doing it this way they can legally advertise that it is a sale price and people assume they are getting a great deal when actually they just marked the original price way up and then marked "sale" to "trick" consumers. This happens with many companies. Just like with the BF ads. Just b/c it's in the ad everyone assumes that its a great deal. There have always been shoppers for BF, so the companies know that they will have plenty of consumers. For me it's more about the tradition and the rush of it. There are always going to be soem things that I'll enjoy getting and there are good deals to be had, they're just not always on the bigger items.

If anything I think the only hurt that all this media attention has brought to us is that we have to get in line WAY earlier. (Thanks alot Brad!!:mad:) j/k...please don't ban me:tongue1: