Walmart to restart layaway??

littlesdcen

Wal-mart will not bring it back because only 33% of people picked up layaways and took far too many expenses to get these little amount of sales!!!!

;););)

well glad to know I was atleast one of 33% I know up until the stopped I had 2 500.00 plus layaways ayear and I never layawayed on Black friday. With four kids it saved me every year. I will tell you I sure do miss it this year more then ever

well glad to know I was atleast one of 33% I know up until the stopped I had 2 500.00 plus layaways ayear and I never layawayed on Black friday. With four kids it saved me every year. I will tell you I sure do miss it this year more then ever

Me too. It was nothing for me to put a huge layaway in about mid Oct. and pay 100-150.00 dollars weekly until it was due out in Dec. then on the day it was due out I would just wake up early in the morning and be one of the first to get mine out before the madness begins. I miss walmart layaway too

My morning show was actually talking about this, this morning. LOL. They had people call debating the issue on both sides and then one of the guys on the show, went into a comedic rant about using lay-away for everything from food shopping to cars.

Man- Yea! I'd like to get this Corvette!

Dealer- How much do you want to put down!

Man- I'll put $15.00 down and come back next week with another twenty towards it next week!

(laughter)

Man- The way I'm going! I'll be the proud owner when I retire!

Nww that's funny as h@&%!!! Good One!

Wal-mart is insane if they are sticking behind the idea of credit cards over layaway. I have had their CC for not even a year and they cut my credit limit from $250 to $100!!!! Seeing that $100 is chump change nowadays, I took that card and threw it in my drawer! In my opinion if they are hell bent on not returning layaway then at least give people descent credit limits!!!!

Btw, this credit reduction has happened to a lot of people, maybe as a result of the economy!?!

Wal-Mart still doesn't get this whole "credit" crisis, huh? Well, maybe the Kmart/Sears layaway will be wildly successful and show up Mall-Mart this year.

yeah maybe it will send them a bit of a message.

I can understand about ppl not picking up layaways but they could have tried charging fees to cancel layaways or stopping the ones that do it all the time to not be allowed to layaway anymore. I did well over a $1000 in walmart layaways every year until they stopped them. This year all 4 of my kids needed bikes to I broke down and went to kmart and put them on layaway

Layaway cost (storage trailers, employee time, missing items) > Profit of layaway sales

It's really not complicated. For people who used it to hide items, sure okay but it's not like they kept them right up to Christmas for you, it was a couple weeks before that items had to be picked up. For others who do not have enough financial control, it's about time you learn how to manage money.

I went to my local walmart excited to start some serious christmas shopping...and I was disapointed to hear that they are no longer using lay-away. How do they expect people to pay for all the gifts. It was so much easier to pick out the stuff and each week and pay 50 bucks each week! I am really bummed!!:(

Layaway cost (storage trailers, employee time, missing items) > Profit of layaway sales

It's really not complicated. For people who used it to hide items, sure okay but it's not like they kept them right up to Christmas for you, it was a couple weeks before that items had to be picked up. For others who do not have enough financial control, it's about time you learn how to manage money.

I believe that this comment is insulting to a lot of people besides me, You have no idea what a persons reason's are to use layaway. I manage what little money I have just fine thank you, But I also with the help of Layaway saved a tremendous amount of maney every year, along with time and problems finding those hard to find toys my 4 children would want. I know with Layaway from Oct through Dec I paid walmart 1000.00 for what was on layaway.

You are very condisending and insulting

I agree with above comment. I have used layaway for 20 years. I knew where the stuff was and how much to pay onit each week. I had 5 layaways at a time one year. I now lay away everything at the Farm supply for my husband, it's his kind of thing. I buy Walmart giftcards and put money on them and if I find something I want, the money is there. In two years i went from having three kids at home, to having two new spouses and 5 step grandchildren and 1 new one. That's a lot of extra people to buy for. I have been buying all year long and putting it up for the little ones. If my 12 year old son told me something he wanted since summer, I bought it. I have him bought for. I only need a few things for the older ones and I'm done. So layaway may be gone from Walmart, but there are other ways to get around it.

I'm sorry I offended you but it's how it is. Layaway does not reduce the cost of an item. Christmas is the same date every year.

It's a matter of changing your mindset. You need to start saving sooner (hard for some but it can be done) and then when the time comes to go shopping you will have the money set aside already and will not need layaway.

I will still disagree with you, Do you have children? I know in the 20 years I used layaway my oldest is 21, I never had to run from store to store to find what they wanted as things got sold out, I already had it on layawy.

Everything is not about money.

Layaway served a purpose and it is missed.

I currently work p/t at WalMart and I also worked in their layaway (we were one of the last stores to get rid of layaway in our area)... one of the big problems we had, was people would put stuff in layaway, pay the minimum they had to, come in just before they had to have it out, .. then cancel the order (or at least the bigger ticket or hard to find items), get their $$ back (as there was no cancellation fee)... wait in the store for us to pull their order and put it back on the shelf (or if we had stock, put the item back in.. one time, there was a person who had 4 of the big kids truck (kinda like the ATV's) .. then they would come back with the same items and put them back in layaway again.. this way they would have a lot longer time to pay it off or in some cases it would down to a clearance price, as when they pay off an item the computer would mark it at it's lowest price..... one time, someone got a $200 some odd dollar order for about $90 because so much had gone on clearance and they were one of the ones putting several of the same orders in during the month (everytime they came in, they would put the same things in layaway)...

we were told things like this was a big decision in dropping the layaway system -- not cost effect...

just people's way of abusing the system for everyone else who used it

that being said, people also said that WalMart's sales would drop because of them taking away layaway and our sales were not lower.... they were even higher last holiday season.. (this is based at least on our stores sales)..

Actually layaway is financial control, it's pretty much the same as putting money away and saving it for Christmas, you've just picked out the presents beforehand instead of afterwards so you know your exact budget instead of estimating how much you will spend. And you're not using credit cards for your (large) purchases which really is the end result / definition of being in financial control.

I believe that this comment is insulting to a lot of people besides me, You have no idea what a persons reason's are to use layaway. I manage what little money I have just fine thank you, But I also with the help of Layaway saved a tremendous amount of maney every year, along with time and problems finding those hard to find toys my 4 children would want. I know with Layaway from Oct through Dec I paid walmart 1000.00 for what was on layaway.

You are very condisending and insulting

I agree with you Illinoismom, I believe we had this same debate last year or the year before. Please don't let it get to you, its very easy to judge when you have no clue about other or their reasons for layaway. For me, it saved me time. I put everyones presents on layaway at 1 time, didn't have to run from store to store, everything was nice and convenient in one place. Oh well, things change, nothing I say will or will not bring it back.

I agree I miss Walmart's layaway. People can say what they want about me but layaway made getting the "good" gifts possible after a very hard year. I don't think there is anything wrong with using layaway for ANY reason...especially financial ones...that is what the purpose was for...letting you pay little by little until you get it out...and get your kids/family the things they wanted but in a way you could afford it.

I'm glad Kmart has layaway...I don't use it cause I think their prices are kinda high on stuff...but now that we are in a MUCH better financial situation the last 4 years layaway isn't needed...but for the next family along the road that needs it...I think its stubborn to let it go.

Layaway was great.

Maybe I am wrong, but isn't Layaway similar in a way to Credit Cards? I say that, because so many people have credit cards.

Layaway - you pick what items you want, you pay a small fee to have it held at the store, you make weekly/monthly payments, you get the item once it's fully paid for. Also, with layaway, you almost always buy within your means, like you'd put $100/$200 of items on Layaway, knowing that when it's time to pay up you can.

Credit Cards - you pick the items you want, but then pay massive interest rates. You do get the item the same day you charge it. However, that item isn't truly paid for yet. Also, with a credit card, you usually have pretty large credit limits, so I would think the chances of buying beyond your means is high.

Yes, I know there are some folks that pay their credit cards off completely each month before interest arises. However I think they are far and few in between.

I am all for layaway, and I think it should be brought back. Yes, you can save your money, but honestly for some, having that money available when they find other things they may want, isn't always the greatest idea.

Imo, Layaway isn't much different than a credit card. And honestly much better. Because of the interest rates. I don't think people who use/d layaway are any less than those people who use credit cards.

I'm a manager of a retailer that still does layaway, and a former layaway customer, so I've seen it from both sides of the fence. As an employee, I can understand why WalMart eliminated layaway. I understand the need for such a program, but the customers are the reason it's gone. It's sad that everyone had to lose out due to irresponsible customers abusing the system, but there's no way to make it work. The store I work for still does layaways, and I would say only 15-20% are actually paid out. The rest are done by half-wits(and that's being conservative in some cases) who couldn't manage their money if their lives depended on it and are just taking solace in the fact they don't have to pay for it right then. Supplies are limited, especially around Christmas time. Why should we lose sales because the merchandise is in the back in a layaway bin, being held for someone who's never coming back to get it? I say let them have to get the credit cards and have to pay the ungodly interest. Most of the ones who never pay them out are the same fools borrowing money from finance companies at 40% interest. I miss layaway as a shopper, but as a retailer, it's a pain in the butt, and the efforts of a few irresponsible morons ruined a good thing for everybody.