Stealing or Getting Lucky.... What do you think?

You've waited outside BB for 4 hours in the cold. You then wait another 2 hours inside to get a camcorder. The camcorder line is also a checkout line. You get to the cashier and the poor thing is really frazzled looking. Just as you're about to put your things down, some jerk comes up and starts screaming at the cashier. You wish the jerk "Happy Thanksgiving" and give him a candy cane. Surprised, he calms down and walks away. The cashier thanks you and begins ringing up your stuff. As you leave the store you realize that the cashier did not charge you for the camcorder, but did take the security devise off.

Do you go back into the store and tell the manager about the mistake or consider it kharma and enjoy a free camcorder?

I go back and tell someone...

I've found that in the long run, honesty is ALWAYS the best policy...

if you believe in karma, you could consider the 'freebie' a test and whether or not you return it could affect an actual better 'good thing' to happen to you later

Edited by theboyzmom
typo

Hhhhmmmm...I don't know. Honestly I have just kept on walking and not gone back in before. But never with something as expensive as a camcorder or anything. Uusally it's something small like a couple dollars and I didn't notice the price was a little less than it should have been. But generally I pay attention when the cashier is ringing things so I know when something doesn't get rang up. I would especially notice if my total was $100 less than it should have been and I would probably say something right then. With something as expensive as a camcorder I would go back in and just say I think someone forget to ring this up. And at my best buy last year they were checking all the receipts as you walked out so that could never happen.

I would go back and tell as well. The cashier could very well lose her job if the store was to find out that she missed something, especially as expensive as a camcorder and I know I wouldnt want that on my shoulders just to save a few bucks that I had already planned on spending anyway.

Ok, I'm going to be completely honest.

I wouldn't go back, I'd keep walking. I'd consider it an early Christmas present from the store. I probably wouldn't even think about it for more than a second, other then when I give my friend a high five after telling her about it.

I wouldn't say it was stealing because you intended to pay for it. However I wouldn't just keep it either. But then I never would have made it past checkout because I keep myself on a strict budget and know within a dollar or two what my total will be at any given store, even when I have 2 carts of groceries at a time. Plus I keep an eye on everything as it rings up because I have too often been cheated the other way..... so I would see her not ring it up and say something right then and there....

Now should I decide to keep it... Karma can really bite cause it would probably quit after I had spent the money originally allocated for it and then I wouldn't be able to get warranty service on it.... cause I guess I have "reverse Karma" lol

Some stores have the policy that the person at the register loses the money out of their PR if it is over a certain amount, so I would have to go back in, actually I would go back in anyway but thinking about the person would help me in case I was tempted to keep walking. To answer you question it would be stealing.

Ok, I'm going to be completely honest.

I wouldn't go back, I'd keep walking. I'd consider it an early Christmas present from the store. I probably wouldn't even think about it for more than a second, other then when I give my friend a high five after telling her about it.

Com you should be ashamed of yourself! As for what I would do, I will respectfully plead the 5th amendment :D:rolleyes:

I am a supervisor at BB and one time we had a situation like this with a $300 camera but it was purchased with a home theater system so it kinda blended in. When the customer came back in our manager was in shock how honest the person was so when he re-rang the product he also gave the customer a $100 gift card.

I say keep it. Its the store's responsibility to hire and train competent people, if they can't do that its thier fault. It was a mistake, but you don't want the chashier to get in trouble. Best Buy can afford it.

I say keep it. Its the store's responsibility to hire and train competent people, if they can't do that its thier fault. It was a mistake, but you don't want the chashier to get in trouble. Best Buy can afford it.

The OP said that the cashier was frazzled. When I worked at Target in the electronics department on busy days, I've had customers leave bags of expensive items at the counter. Would I put these items back on the shelf and say "oh well" because the customer made a mistake and left them? No, I'd keep the bag behind the counter in case he/she returned. Shouldn't it work the other way as well? Cashiers are people too. They make mistakes. Best Buy might be able to afford it but with the economy as crappy as it is right now, I don't think the cashier could afford it if he/she lost their job. I'm sorry but my conscience would tell me to do the honest thing and go back in the store and pay for the item.

I would SO go back in...

And how much stuff can you buy and not notice at the time of checkout, when the cashier gave you the total, that she didn't charge you for a CAMCORDER??

Thank you. It's not like the camcorder was like a bag of chips or something were one wouldn't notice an extra few dollars not on thier total. How could one not notice that the cashier did not ring up a camcorder:confused:

And yes the OP should go back and pay for it.

Not to get all politically but isn't that Obama's philosophy? Best Buy can afford it so someone who has less should be entitled to keep it? :no:

You are getting political and it's not necessary in this thread. The political threads are that way. >>>>>>>>>>>

As far as the question in the OP, I would take it back in and pay for it. I wouldn't want the Karma from keeping it and not paying for it.

I did have an experience with BB where I ordered a camcorder online and they sent me a digital camera instead. I called them and told them of the error. They replaced the order to send the camcorder. I asked them how to send back the digital camera. The CSR phone rep asked me if I was "willing" to keep the digital camera for $50. Hell yes!!!! It was a $300 camera! So I got a new camcorder and new digital camera for around $250.

You are getting political and it's not necessary in this thread. The political threads are that way. >>>>>>>>>>>

As far as the question in the OP, I would take it back in and pay for it. I wouldn't want the Karma from keeping it and not paying for it.

Ok, I deleted it. ;)

You know yesterday Kohl's delivered an order to me damaged, but not necessarily beyond repair.... I called and they credited me and resold me the same item and marked it down to the same price I paid and didn't mention what to do with the damaged item

I thought that meant throw it out (or fix and keep) but he didn't say at all so I said "before you go I need to know what to do with the one you sent me" Then he said, you can repair it, fix it and keep it, or donate it somewhere. It's yours, we don't want it back so you get to decide.

Had I not asked i would have felt guilty keeping it even to throw away ... because once he credited me it was no longer mine, in my mind.

So if I would make someone answer me over a 9.00 item I would certainly go back to pay for the camcorder... :)

if it was on black friday..i would just keep it...like hell if i am going to get back in that store wait in another long butt line to say hey u oops on this let me pay for it...

and if it was black friday, are u really paying attention to the price of the items ringing up if u have lots of items...its already crazy as it is...

i would call the store know as soon as i found out...but technically there isnt anything they could do if u didnt bring it back except repremend the cashier if they find out who didnt ring it up, or write it off as a loss...

i would not go back in-you say this was BB-i boycott them-i got shafted by them 3x's once for a warranty i purchased on a computer and when i had a problem the mgr told me i got the computer cheap enough and he wasnt going to honor the warranty so I was out over $600- the 2nd time was a few years later when with a friend or i never would have entered the store and ended up purchasing a dvd for a Christmas present and when that person opened it there wasnt anything inside! Then when I tried to take that back with the freaking receipt they told me they were going to call the police on me for fraud because i was lying i will never ever ever step foot in a BB again in my life and everyone i know knows I am honest and they wont go near them either. Theres has been many people reporting problems with them and there was an article in the paper about them calling their customers who only buy the sale items devil customers. I dont have time now to find it but if you google Best Buy and devil customer you should find some reference.....so i am glad you got a camcorder out of the deal...they didnt lost any money it was my money from my warranty they wouldnt honor!