Kids opening gifts - how's it work @ your house?

conj

OK, maybe I am anal... but we have rules about how presents are opened at our house... do you? here are our rules.

1. We take turns. Everyone watches each gift be opened - giving the opener our full attention.

2. You show appreciation. even if you hate it. even if you already have one. even if it is broken.

3. You do not tell the giver if you already have it... you can tell mom and dad separately, we will assist you in finding a solution.

4. Be polite.

5. You do not open a gift that is not yours (ok, this rule has been retired as they've grown older... it is not an issue. It used to be :rolleyes:)

These rules have stayed the same since DD was 2, and they are repeated like a mantra repeated over and over for a couple of weeks which includes DDs Bday, Xmas, and Hanukkah. They've carried over to other occasions where there are gifts being given... and to other houses, as friends and family visit and admire how it works.

I've been at Xmas celebrations where I did not know what was being exchanged. barely controlled chaos. I like this much better - we all get to ooh and ahh.. and I can associate a gift with a giver, to make sure thank yous are written.

am I the only with rules?

Wow conj, I thought we were the only one who did this lol. I love the way we do it, one person at a time. It makes everything more fun and exciting. We all enjoy watching what everyone gets. I often am surprised what the gift is that I wrapped for someone, since I usually wrap and put them in the garage months before they are opened. When my children were really little opening gifts Christmas morning would take hours lol. They would often open a gift, be so excited and run to their room to play with it.

We take turns! I feel that I spend so much time preparing for x-mas that I want it to last more than 10 minutes.

When we go to my parents house my dad gives everyone a gift and we all open it then everyone goes around showing what they got.

I personaly like the one at a time!

ok my kids get gifts from there dad and there aunts/grandma about a week before christmas and they take turns opening there gifts as i have to get pictures of there reactions and then with the gifts to send to there dad and such.

on christmas eve we go to my family and open gifts, there is alot of us

12 grandchildren, plus 2brothers/2sisters/3in laws and parents,

my sis in laws parents, my bro in laws brother and his family so we pass out

gifts to everyone and once all gifts are passed out, everyone opens at once,

it gets crazy but it would take to long to open one at a time, but as one is

opened we yell o ut thank you or go hug and thank them for the gift, after

we clean the mess up and get the kids situated the adults play the white

elephant game

christmas morning the kids gifts appear under the tree, i pass them out and they open as they get them, then they get there stockings

i take whatever pics i can on christmas eve and christmas day usually at the end i will get them a pic with all there gifts

Stocking are first and everyone can open them at the same time.

Gifts are opened by the little ones first going back and forth, taking turns to open one gift at a time.

Adults, who are my dd and sil, alternate opening one at a time also. This is the only way I can see them and take pics.

At my Mom's, later in the day, each family takes a turn handing out gifts. No one can open a gift until the giver has completed handing out gifts. Then the gifts are opened by groups who are sitting by each other and can be in the same pic, starting with the kids on the floor.

This has worked well for years. It used to be a free for all and if you were the gift giver you never knew if they even knew who the gift was from and for get taking pics.

When I wake up on Christmas morning I cannot help but get excited when I see all the gifts under the tree. There are of course the ones we wrapped and usually there's quite a few as we give a gift to each member of the family. Then there are the ones left by Santa, scattered among the others. They are sitting there looking so festive, in their Santa paper, bows and tags. The elves must be so busy cause sometimes we find one or two unwrapped.

As for the rules...

On Christmas Eve

1. Each person gets to pick out one little gift and open it. If someone got Christmas pj's, I try and guide them to that package.

2. Everyone must wear something Christmas like to sleep in. It makes for great Christmas morning pictures!

On Christmas Morning

1. Someone is the gift giver...It is their job to make sure everyone gets the right gift. They must read the tags, pass them out, crawl around under the tree, reach and stretch, until all gifts are passed out. Anyone who is not present on Christmas morning, their gifts are left under the tree until we see them. No one must touch them.

2. As you get your gift from the gift giver, it is your job to stack all your gifts up next to or around you.

3. You must not touch anything that is not in your pile.

4. If Santa left a note, it is read aloud by me.

Now the rest of the rules can be different depending on if we are on Vacation or at home

At Home...

1. The youngest goes first and opens their gifts. If it is not a Santa gift, then the person closest to them will let everyone know who the gift is from. After they finish opening the gift, they must thank who ever gave it to them.

2. Then the next oldest opens theirs and so on until everyone has opened theirs. I am always last because I am so busy taking in the moment, clicking pictures or cam cording.

3. Then they race for their stockings and empty the contents.

4. Everyone picks up the wrapping paper!

5. Now comes the time to get everything out of its box or put together.

6. Then each persons things (when not playing with them) go in a pile, under the tree for a few days.

On Vacation...

1. When I say go, they all dig in and its a free for all. I sit back and cam it all, I know who is opening what so I can get their expressions when they open it. If I think I might miss something, I simply ask them to wait a moment so I can capture the moment and they are pretty good about it

2. Everyone is thanked for the gift they gave

3. Everyone picks up the paper

4. They head towards their stockings to unload the contents

Now they must be polite, thankful and courteous. They already know, if it don't fit we can exchange it, if they don't like it, we can get something they like instead, if they already have it, its okay so and so don't live with us and they didn't know you have it and I'll take them to the store to get something else they want instead. Funny thing is, none of those things really happen because I make suggestions to the Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, etc.. from the list of things I already know they want, need or like. They also know that if they find coal in their stockings and it has happened that they found a little piece of coal in the toe of their stocking, that they better behave, bring up their grades or knock off the attitude or else, next years stocking will be full of coal!!

I am almost always awake, peeping out of my eyes, and listening. i almost always sleep on the couch Christmas eve so I can.

My kiddos are early risers on Christmas morning. They are allowed to open (more like dump) their stockings once they wake up. Jessica is usually the first awake, she doesn't touch a thing, looks, whispers, giggles, and quickly awakes the other two kids.

They dump out their stockings, laugh and giggle at what each of the neatly wrapped gifts hold, guessing what this and that is.

After they appear bored of their stockings, I then 'wake up'. We sit in a circle, and I allow them to take turns getting gifts for each other. One at a time. Only one kid opens a gift at a time, so I can take pictures and so we can all watch each others' excitement. I like to watch their little faces beam with excitement and joy, that is why we do it this way.

Clean up of wrapping paper is a team effort. Then we work on unboxing the presents, recycling what can be and tossing what should be.

Then its off for the hunt for batteries and screwdrivers. And then the whirls of toys, and OH Wow's happen. It's a wonderful time.

On Christmas morning the kids at home get up to one unwrappeed gift and a stocking. They are allowed to enjoy that while I fix Christmas breakfast and watch them and see their excitement. After breakfast we open gifts one gift per person at one time. We choose one person to be the gift giver and he or she gets the gifts from under the tree. We usually go around the room. I love for it to last all day!! Last year we started about 10:00 and finished around 3:30!! When everyone has opened one gift the gift admired by all and the givers have been thanked, the gift is taken to a designated spot, and paper is put in a trash bag. then we do it again and again and etc.... We do not cook a Christmas dinner (breakfast is huge) but we do stop to enjoy ham rolls, crackers, cheese, cookies, etc... This year I plan for DD5's dollhouse to be out and for a family of Barbies to be inside. The other kids (that still live at home) will only have their stockings out and the married ones will get theirs when they come to the house (some will be there for breakfast and others will come later) Then when everything has been opened everyone usually goes to look at all their stuff and enjoy it again and to relook at what others got again as well.

I also hand out needed batteries after it all opened. Mom and I make a list of what is needed as we wrap to make sure we have the right ones on hand.

OK, maybe I am anal... but we have rules about how presents are opened at our house... do you? here are our rules.

1. We take turns. Everyone watches each gift be opened - giving the opener our full attention.

2. You show appreciation. even if you hate it. even if you already have one. even if it is broken.

3. You do not tell the giver if you already have it... you can tell mom and dad separately, we will assist you in finding a solution.

4. Be polite.

5. You do not open a gift that is not yours (ok, this rule has been retired as they've grown older... it is not an issue. It used to be :rolleyes:)

The same rules above apply to our house, our parents (kids grand), and grandparents (great grands) house.

The first thing that is opened is the stockings though and its one stocking item opened, then the next person same as with presents.

Kids can get up as early as they want, but cannot leave their rooms until my husband and I are ready (we go downstairs... get the tree lights on, start coffee, and get video camera ready).

While kids are waiting, their stockings are in their rooms. I love to hear the giggles as they unwrap the gifts inside. I usually get up when I hear them and go through their stockings with them. (both my kids are older so they know the "little secret"

Once we are ready, the herd (haha) comes the down the stairs. Im usually video taping at this point. My husband then takes over the video camera. He sits in his throne (recliner in the corner) by the sectional.. and I pass out gifts. Each child then shows what he/she got. I have a trash bag and gather all the trash. They have their own piles to put gifts so its not such a mess. (did I mention Im a neat freak and all the paper/bows/etc drives me nuts? lol

4. Be polite.

Same rules for us with the emphasis on #2 & #3!

We only have one child, so at our house it's pretty easy. We just let him go at his presents and his stocking is usually last. He just turned 3, so this will be his first Christmas where he really understands what's going on. Before now, he just got presents and didn't really know why, so I'm really excited for this year! DH and I take turns opening presents from each other. I set up the video camera and get the digital camera ready the night before so I don't miss a minute. This year I'm going to try to get a Denver Omelet Casserole into the oven before DS gets up so breakfast will be ready once the presents have been opened. Here's to hoping!!!

At my sil's house, it's usually 5 kids (3 are teenagers and young adults) and 5 adults, but we still do the free-for-all.

At my parent's house, it becomes a little crazy. There are 3 kids (all under 8) and 7 adults. My mom goes absolutely overboard on everyone!! I would say that each kid gets at least 20-25 presents and she gets the adults about 10-15 gifts each. We usually let the kids open theirs first and then pile them so they don't get mixed up and pick up the paper as we go along. Once the kids have settled into their gifts, the adults open theirs.

My children always grab their gifts to us first. Its cute. My daughter still has the secret santa shop at her school and she loves to shop for us herself. Now its funny because she spends the alloted money, but she skimps on our gifts to make sure she can buy something for herself. Its so funny. I started to add some extra money last year so she could buy herself something without worrying about having enough for gifts for other people. Its that age

We sleep in as late as possible- 8 or so. then stockings. everyone can open at once. then we have a big big breakfast. for gifts, we all take turns, rotating who opens first with each roudn of presents. we open a couple each and then take a break- (for playing, trying on, showers, , snacktime, whatever). we make it last all day.

One at a time here too. Of course we just have a small family but I like the fact that it takes about an hour or so to open gifts. I also like to discuss the item with the person because I'll usually always have a story about how I got the item, why I bought it for them, etc.

We only have one son, who is almost 16. On Christmas morning, I have pretty much always been the first to get up. The 3 of us gather around the tree and the gifts were already put out the night before in piles. I put out my husbands and son's- my husband is a good shopper and he puts out mine. We each take turns doing our entire stockings first. Then for the gifts, we usually have my son start and he'll do 3 or 4- and then my husband and I will each open 1 gift, then back to my son and we continue the cycle. We have stopped 1/2 way through to have breakfast and then finished afterwards. It all depends on how many gifts there are. There have been years when my son has had 35-50 gifts and my husband and I have each had 20-25 a piece. Last year was alittle tighter and my husband and I only did stockings so my son could still have a very nice Christmas.

Now we go to my sisters on the Saturday before Christmas for dinner w/ our immediate families. There are 3 kids there- and they each take turns opening gifts as best as possible. The 2 little one's usually have a lot more to open than my son. That is because we all spend the same amounts, but his stuff is always way more expensive. Then the adults usually have to open at the same time. This is because my mom will get me and my sister very similar gifts and my husband and bil very similar gifts.

At my extended families on Christmas eve, there is usually close to 50 people. Everyone gets a name drawn to exchange with and the gifts get passed out.....and it's a free for all.

On Christmas at my husbands family gathering.....there is usually close to 30 people and once again it's a free for all. All the adults pick 1 name to exchange with. My grandfather-in-law buys for everyone and everyone buy's for him. Then everyone buy's for everyone under 18. We also exchange w/ my MIL, her BF, and my BIL (and this year his new baby) there as well. Several of his other family members (his 1 aunt and her adult kids and grandkids) exchange there as well too. So, the gift #'s are not even amongst families/people so I think tat is why they do it free for all style.

My ds either comes home from or has to leave to go to my ex's on Christmas Day at 1p.m. So, on the year he leaves Christmas day, we have always opened presents the weekend before so we can see him enjoy his gifts. The year we pick him up on Christmas, we open gifts as soon as we get home. Either time, we have the same routine I take pictures while my dh hands out the gifts. Once the piles are made, ds & dd open at the same time. We always make sure they open their "big" gift at different times, so I can get pictures. Our 4 legged babies also open their gifts at this time too. Then, after they are finished my dh and I open our gifts.

I grew up opening presents on Christmas Eve, and it has stuck with me. Each year our Christmas plans change, but the kids get to open at least one present on Christmas Eve - their new Christmas PJs. I might have to add a more exciting gift as they get older.

DH's family plays "The Game" first, where each person ends up with at least one prize to open. It's kinda a white elephant thing. After that is cleaned up we pass out the presents from the name exchange and when everyone had theirs we all open at the same time. Then Grandma passes out her gifts and we all open them. The rest is opened Christmas morning, and we try to take turns. With 4 under 5, it gets a bit crazy.

If my Mom, sister or I am running the show, every child will have the same number of gifts and they will probably coordinate, somehow. Here, there are 6 kids ages 2-10. One of us will start handing out our gifts, making sure that each child has one. They all open at the same time, but they can't open the next until everyone is finished and givers are thanked. Then the next round begins. Adults generally open after the kids are finished. Adults open one at a time while the others watch.

I am trying to teach my kids to be grateful. They do thank the giver. But they are still learning. DS opened a gift on his birthday, and before I could say anything DD said "We already have that one." I had to distract everyone with another gift so I could sneak that one away, before she made a scene talking about how that is just like our other one - the one in the rummage sale box.

We do the same exact thing as Conj. One by one, being sure to thank and acknowledge

the gift. As soon as the gift is opened however the wrapping paper/trash goes immediately

into the trash bag. Two different times things got accidently thrown out in the chaos with

paper everywhere so I am adamant about this too..like Elena.

We open our Stockings Christmas night...it gives them something to look forward to and

then it is not "over" in 20 minutes :( So all day something you may have really wanted you

may have but it could be in your stocking. One year my Dad put a note in my stocking

that my new skis were in the hall closet:fluffy: I just thought I did not get them that year,

so it is fun to make the anticipation last, imho

Growing up my parents would hide the "Christmas Pickle" (its a ceramic pickle ornament - its a German Christmas Eve tradition) and whoever finds it would go first then we would go in a circle clockwise.

Opening a gift one at a time and everyone pays attention to whoever is opening. It usually takes us a couple of hours to get through gifts. We still do that even though our ages range from 13-23.

Christmas morning we go youngest to oldest with stockings and santa gifts.

When we all go over to Grandma's house its kinda a 'free for all' since everyone tends to be all over the house. Usually one of the aunts hands out the gifts and the younger cousins give it to the person and such.

Since it already takes around 2hrs normally to open gifts we do not do them 1 at a time like I'd like to,lol. My oldest son hands everyone a gift somewhat equal in size. After everyone has one they open them. We check out what everyone got, take a quick picture and move on. We do this at Nana's house to with their cousins.

We have the same rules as Conj when it comes to opening gifts at other peoples houses. Although I mostly help pick out the gifts and in some cases actually buy them so I know they will like them and not already have it. (My mom gives me the money to shop for my kids,lol)

as of right now, our dd2 and dd9 get up at different times, so the past 2 years we have been able to watch each one individually open gifts - kinda nice for the older one the first year (avoided jealousy issues). hubby and i exchange gifts at this time - makes it nice so we can focus just on each other and so that the next day is solely the girls.

night before is inlaws and hubby's grandpa (only grandparent left)- a few gifts there. come home and into bed. i lay out all of the gifts and put a few underneath their tree upstairs (small 3ft bright pink tree). these they can open as soon as they get up.

xmas morning - they have to do the stocking first. they can do this while hubby and i are waking up, getting things ready (camera, food, drink, ourselves, etc.) i am the mean wrapper who has wrapped a pencil before. my mom always individually wrapped everything (and that was with 4 kids) and i have just continued that (2 years ago i ind. wrapped a 6pk of the small pepsi cans - refuse to buy anyother time, so.... dd9 didn't find it too funny).

dd9 passes out all of the gifts and we let them dig in. i have them stop from time to time to pose w/ gifts. once those gifts are done, we give the big gift. this is the gift from hubby and i (the others are from "santa", at least when dd9 still believed adn this will stay the same for dd2). last year, a 4wheeler for dd9 and a cast iron tractor for dd2. i think so far this year dd9's gift is a pink cricket .22 gun and no clue for dd2 yet.

we then head down to inlaws to get rest of gifts, my parents come out after that for gifts and breakfast, then lunch and more gifts at my grandma's house......makes for a really crazy day, but it's fun.

We take turns by person. After the kids have opened - because it's not fair to make them wait- the adults all rotate. Like grandma will open all of hers then my uncle will open all of his and so on until everyone is done. I see it both ways - I take a lot of time to wrap and so I like to enjoy seeing everyone open their gifts and I hate Christmas to be over in 20 minutes. But sometimes it feels like forever before we are done!!! I like a few rules just to teach younger kids to be polite when getting gifts but too many rules takes the fun out of it too.

well santa wraps each persons gifts in the same paper. with one big gift left out so the child knows what is his even tho there are tags on it. each one is piled in a nice display. say blue paper in one cute pile spread out . green paper in another pile. so on and so on. the kids run and look and we take pics at them looking at some little things that were not wraped. and getting all worked up. then they sit and say can we as long as my camera is on i say go for it. and we take pics and tape. and we watch them yell scream. at each other look what i got oo look what u got ohh i wanted that to . lol as they do it they put the paper in a garbage bag. so less of a mess for me to clean. then when all done they usally say can we eat. then its while im making it can i open one. they do then they move on to another one. so its fun here in the am. i cant sit and watch each person open one at a time. i m usally way to tired lol . then again its us here and some come for the holiday. but we enjoy it this way. we have lots of fun.as im sure u all do that do it dif. and that is what its about . enjoying your time and smiles.

4. Be polite.

These rules have stayed the same since DD was 2, and they are repeated like a mantra repeated over and over for a couple of weeks which includes DDs Bday, Xmas, and Hanukkah. They've carried over to other occasions where there are gifts being given... and to other houses, as friends and family visit and admire how it works.

I've been at Xmas celebrations where I did not know what was being exchanged. barely controlled chaos. I like this much better - we all get to ooh and ahh.. and I can associate a gift with a giver, to make sure thank yous are written.

My parents held my brother and I to the same rules when we were children. Also the kids found the parents' gifts for them when it was mom or dad's turn to open one. :) Will be implementing similar rules with my daughter.

Only difference is that on Christmas eve everyone opens one present, and it is a present that mom picks out to be opened. Being that there are now two moms under one roof (my mom and i) now my mom picks out the gifts everyone but my daughter will open. I choose which little one she gets to open. Usually it's something out of the stocking or it's something like PJs.

on Christmas eve we do it with my family and the youngest opens all theirs first and then the next youngest and so.. Christmas morning all eyes are on my two boys. I usually video tape and dad helps. The oldest has NO problems opening his present but my youngest doesn't really like to do it (autism) so we kind of help him becaue he does get excited about the toys..On Christmas day we go to church and then come home and open stocking and play with new toys all day..Then on New Years Day we have Christmas with my husbands side(we have to rent the church gym there is over 100 just immediate family). There usually around 2:00 the older kids start passing out presents and you just open them( you only get presents from your godparents).

I have the same rules as conj.I always tell the oldest even if you have one or don't like it you better act like it is the BEST thing you have ever been given:)He's pretty good about it.