Circuit City may "downsize". What does this mean to us?

DumbPoet

It is something that everyone needs to watch. If they are going to file for chapter 11 protection then they could have less credit to buy stock and that could mean that CC will have less stock to sell.

There are already reports that mos stores will have less stock this year to cut down on loss.

Below is a bigger article on the CC situation.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa081020_lj_circuitcity.12f5ab9df.html

It's going to hurt future BFs if CC is gone. Just last year we lost CompUSA and now CC. For tech deals, we'll be left with BB and the office stores (and other than Staples, those haven't been great lately either as far as BF ads)

Guest CS.Dean
I thought I read somewhere a few months ago that CC was on the market and they were entertaining offers for the company. Then somewhere else I remember that BlockBuster was a possible buyer. That would be an interesting idea if they bought in. From what I see CC has horrible upper management. We have a small store here and they struggle against Best Buy which is like 1/2 mile down the road. BF is a joke at our CC. No organization at all. Just to much hassle to go near them

I agree with everyone that it would be extremely sad to see CC go, just because less competition is bad for the consumer. I do think they have a lot to learn about how to run a BF tho. I have hated Best Buy for the longest time because of their immature customer service and their ungodly lines, but lately, they've really shaped up and they REALLY know what they're doing on BF. The whole Reward Zone thing is a huge plus too for BB. Black Friday at CC was the most painful experience I've ever had in shopping (No organization/direction, waiting in understaffed lines that didn't move, only to find that you're not REALLY in the right line.).

It's going to hurt future BFs if CC is gone. Just last year we lost CompUSA and now CC. For tech deals, we'll be left with BB and the office stores (and other than Staples, those haven't been great lately either as far as BF ads)

At least CompUSA was saved at the 11th hour, and is slowly coming back. TigerDirect had BF sales last year, so CompUSA will probably have similar deals in-store.

But it's still not the same as having CC around. Best Buy will pretty much own the market if CC fails.

(Sorry in advance about the double post.)

One of my friends in California just got told that his store is being closed, along with two others in his area, and a total of 155 nationally. They will be closing as soon as their merchandise is liquidated or by December 31st (whichever is sooner), and they will not be honoring Black Friday deals.

I know CC is having troubles but I hope they can stick around. Fact is the less competition BB has the less the deals they have to put to get people in. Luckily I have Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Sears, KMart, Staples, KB, JC P, and others all in under 1/4 mile.