Do You Do Stockings?

stacyk9

We did stockings as I was growing up too. We still do for the four kiddos. I usually fill them with candy and small toys. My problem is..I ALWAYS buy too much and they end up overflowing. This year I am going to try and cut down so I dont have that problem. I say this every year..hehe.

Santa always brought stockings growing up. My parents wouldn't let us wake them until 10 AM(how mean is that???) but we could open stockings without them. Now my brother and I are both out of the house but we still do Christmas morning at our parents' house since neither of us have kids. (I really don't know how it's going to play out after that!) We still have stockings and there's usually candy, socks, underwear, razor blades, lotion, etc. I kind of wanted to start doing them with my boyfriend, but where his parents also do stockings, we kind of felt that it was a little overkill.

Stockings are the best! Growing up, my stocking was always filled when Santa came. I'm 23 now and my parents still give me a stocking with chocolate, candy canes, gum, nuts, an orange, an apple, and some other miscellaneous items.

My grandparents included the same items in my mom's stocking when she was a kid.

we've always done stockings (my grandmother hand made all of ours...she's gone now, so it is a nice way to remember her when we put them out)

my parents used to fill ours with chocolate coins, an orange and small toys...when I got older, my mom always filled it with nylons too

for my boys I put in a toothbrush and toothpaste, favorite candy, special candy (this year I found 'glo bugs' which my kids have never seen before), small books, cologne and their yearly ornament to hang on the tree (they get a new one each year)

sometimes I fill dh's with candy and nuts, but lately we haven't exchanged gifts, so unless I see something I really want him to have, we skip it

Yes , We do stockings. Santa stuffs them with personal goodies and DH even gets one. A few years ago I bought the huge stockings. Mistake, Mistake, It takes lots of $$$ to fill them. Should have stuck to the small ones. But that is the first thing the kids open on Christmas morning. They love the little stuff in there. Mostly dollar store items.

My husband and I sneak into the kids room and put their stockings on each of their desks. They love waking up early and seeing them... The rule is they can get up and see the stockings, but have to wait till my husband and I are up to go downstairs.

That means mom and dad have to start coffee first (haha) and put christmas lights on. I have to get video camera ready too. Its like a herd of cattle when we tell them to come down. lol

We do stockings for our dd, ds, myself and dh. I hang them when I decorate and they get filled on Xmas Eve and then we bring them to the kids rooms and they awake to them at the end of their beds. I love the look on theirs faces when they come running into our rooms with the stockings. We all open our stockings on our bed and then I go down and turn everyhting on.

I do it so I can have the video camera ready when they turn the corner of the foiler and see the gifts.....:)

we did stocking growing up. I lived with some nuns for a while during my teen years and we did shoes for st nick... leave a shoe out your bedroom door and it got filled. we also do a ornament a person every year and then I do family ornament each year, which each person gets thanksgiving weekend to put on the tree(u must be in the country to get this) that says something about our family that year.

Yes , We do stockings. Santa stuffs them with personal goodies and DH even gets one. A few years ago I bought the huge stockings. Mistake, Mistake, It takes lots of $$$ to fill them. Should have stuck to the small ones. But that is the first thing the kids open on Christmas morning. They love the little stuff in there. Mostly dollar store items.

I know the feeling, I got smart and my kids have the little ones for babies from the dollar tree, pink for dd and blue for dss........oh btw if anyone is interested walmart has little handheld video games for a dollar a piece down the game asile, perfect for stockings.....

I love doing the stocking!!! Our tradition however is they cannot be opened until right before

bed on Christmas night. I remember feeling sad that after the mad rush of opening the gifts

it was "over" in minutes :( This gives everyone something to look forward too. Last year

my DS gf (who lived with us) wanted a blue Ipod in the worst way...my son decided to torment her and he put it in the bottom of her stocking (all loaded with her favorite songs

and an Itunes card)..so the poor thing all day thought she didn't get the one thing she

wanted..and she was so happy she was in tears on CHristmas night about 11pm when we

opened them.

We did stockings growing up, but they were filled mostly with candy and then little things- nail polish, earrings, etc.

This year all 3 of our kids are getting laptops, so we were thinking of tricking them. We were going to have them open all the presents and then start a scavenger hunt off a note they find in their stocking!

I love doing the stocking!!! Our tradition however is they cannot be opened until right before

bed on Christmas night. I remember feeling sad that after the mad rush of opening the gifts

it was "over" in minutes :( This gives everyone something to look forward too. Last year

my DS gf (who lived with us) wanted a blue Ipod in the worst way...my son decided to torment her and he put it in the bottom of her stocking (all loaded with her favorite songs

and an Itunes card)..so the poor thing all day thought she didn't get the one thing she

wanted..and she was so happy she was in tears on CHristmas night about 11pm when we

opened them.

That's a great idea!

I know the feeling, I got smart and my kids have the little ones for babies from the dollar tree, pink for dd and blue for dss........oh btw if anyone is interested walmart has little handheld video games for a dollar a piece down the game asile, perfect for stockings.....

I found some of those the other day, I'm using them for the boys in my sunday school room's goody bags. They were really cute!

Definitely do stockings! They're filled with small items, candy, earrings for dd, trading cards for ds. The inlaws do a HUGE 6ft stocking. Everybody buys 3 gifts for each person, including the children and we stuff the stocking. Then on Christmas night we sit around and open all the gifts, takes about 3 hours.

I do stockings for dh,dd8,ds12, both cats, my mom and usually mine as well. We let the kids have them while waiting on grandma to get here. I usually stuff them with candy, tooth brushes and something fun like a ds game to keep them busy while waiting..

Yes, we do stockings for everyone, even mom and dad. Last year my son asked why Santa left stuff for daddy's stocking but not mommy's. :eek: My husband was mortified...I do believe he'll be putting something in my stocking this year. ;)

My sons noticed that also and now he takes responsibility for mine.... Out of the mouths of babes!

My parents did NOT do them while I was growing up. However, I've always done one for my son. We don't have anywhere to hang them, so they get filled and put in front of the Christmas gift pile.

About 6 yrs ago my husband completely suprised me by buying me a stocking and filling it. I actually cried very hard. It was so sweet. I had mentioned to him in the past how my parents never did that tradition. Anyway, since the year after we've always filled stockings for each other. Even on years when money was tight and we didn't exchange other gifts we've still done stockings for each other.

We do keep the stocking limit at $30 or less though. Usually it's little things we put in there. Razor blades, food type treats, socks, lotion, ornaments, pens, ect.....things like that.

My parents did NOT do them while I was growing up. However, I've always done one for my son. We don't have anywhere to hang them, so they get filled and put in front of the Christmas gift pile.

About 6 yrs ago my husband completely suprised me by buying me a stocking and filling it. I actually cried very hard. It was so sweet. I had mentioned to him in the past how my parents never did that tradition. Anyway, since the year after we've always filled stockings for each other. Even on years when money was tight and we didn't exchange other gifts we've still done stockings for each other.

We do keep the stocking limit at $30 or less though. Usually it's little things we put in there. Razor blades, food type treats, socks, lotion, ornaments, pens, ect.....things like that.

We always laid them on the sofas and chairs growing up. I have a stocking holder that I got from Lakeside collection that holds 6 and is fairly sturdy. It's still showing in one of their Christmas catalogs--http://www.lakeside.com/details.asp?I=ZHS&N=36+4294965670&Nao=136&R=852172022ZHS4&product=Holiday-Stocking-Holders. I have the snowman topper but I'd love to get a scrolled one in a few years when the boys are grown and then I could use if for decor...

;)We do stockings, they get hung with the Christmas decorations, stuffed before we leave on Christmas Eve. My mother was ill and very disabled by the time my sister and I had kids....so I filled their stockings at my parent's house. They get small items and socks every year in memory of my Mom....and so do my sister and I, my DH and my DBIL.

Here the stockings are filled with small items...last year I did eye glass wipes, hand santizer, candy, mini flashlight for DH. Nail polish, emory boards, costume jewelry, etc for my DD. The poodle gets a dog bone (her stocking gets stuffed in the am, otherwise she would steal it ;)

;)We do stockings, they get hung with the Christmas decorations, stuffed before we leave on Christmas Eve. My mother was ill and very disabled by the time my sister and I had kids....so I filled their stockings at my parent's house. They get small items and socks every year in memory of my Mom....and so do my sister and I, my DH and my DBIL.

Here the stockings are filled with small items...last year I did eye glass wipes, hand santizer, candy, mini flashlight for DH. Nail polish, emory boards, costume jewelry, etc for my DD. The poodle gets a dog bone (her stocking gets stuffed in the am, otherwise she would steal it ;)

When I was younger, my grandmother came over Christmas Eve and stuck a few gifts under the tree. We got up the next morning to a mess, there was dry cat food everywhere, the wrappings were torn off the gifts, and there were four "drunk" cats in the middle of it all. She had put a box of Friskies and a box of catnip wrapped under the tree for the cats! A little surprise (and a little off topic, not meaning to steal but the poodle reminded me of the event. It's why our cat gets his presents on Christmas Eve!!):P

Traditionally we put them up with all of the decorations then they were filled when Santa came and since they were filled with fruit (apples, oranges, or bananas, whatever mom had on hand) and small toys we got to open them first thing when my mom got out of bed(hours after we woke up) we were not allowed to leave our room till she got up....

I didn't have stockings growing up, only the few times I spent xmas with my father (parents divorced when I was a baby). I remember never being able to get the all the stuff back in the stocking. But I always loved the stockings and have always had them for my kids, dh and dogs. It has taken dh a while, but he has finally gotten the hang of filling my stocking. I refused to buy & wrap my own gifts and fill my own stocking, so that's all he has to do for xmas. This xmas will be the second anniversary of my father's passing, and the best time to remind my kids of where the tradition came from. They are allowed to have their stockings when they get up, but can't get into anything else. Where we have the tree is just outside of my bedroom, so I can hear all their whisperings of "oohh, look at this", "this is cool", ect. and they don't know I'm listening. I think that's the best part of xmas. :D