Layaway before Black Friday

dbaby4ever

I remember last year people on here talking about laying BF items away before BF. Then going in on BF to pick up the layaway and getting a price adjustment that day. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Sounds like a good way to make sure you get the deal you want without the crowds early in the a.m.

• 2 weeks later...
I was in Kmart the other day & heard someone ask aout Layaway. There is a $5 Layaway charge, a $5 cancellation charge and I *believe she said a $5 charge to chNGE WHAT YOU HAVE, IE: DROP ONE ITEM, ADD AN ITEM. I am not sure of the details, but I would look into it before biting. and sorry about the caps, ...stupid cast lol.

I just picked up a layaway that I had. There is a $5 fee. The cancellation fee is only if you cancel layaway and don't get your stuff. If you decide you don't want something pay for whole order and pick up then return at service desk and there are no fees. I returned one of my items but did it at service desk after picking up layaway. Also, usually at one point before holidays they have one week where they waive the layaway fee, at least they did last year. My sister did put stuff on layaway BF last year. The Marshall's in my area also does a one month layaway. This is my favorite way to shop since money is always tight. I get paid every two weeks and the payments coincide with my pay weeks.

Our kmart and walmart did away with lay a way. I know of people doing in years past though.

There was just a long TV commerical on last night saying K-Mart now has 8 week lay aways with just 4 payments. I looked it up on there site and it says all stores will have 8 week lay aways with payments being every 2 weeks.....You might want to see if this is in your store.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Kmart last week to specifically put stuff in layaway....I had a total of 5 items in my cart that would have totaled maybe $50 so I didn't do it...they had a few bakagon items, but not enough to get each of the kids the stuff they wanted and I couldn't find anything else in the store either...bummer

I think layaway is a great idea...but you have to have the stock to offer as well...

oh well

• 2 weeks later...
I called our Kmart about the price adjustment on BF for layaway items and they said yes they will do it. She said just put all your stuff in layaway ahead of time then on BF, pull it out and get a price adjustment. She said that the line maybe long but it's probably worth it. WOOHOO!

i was at kmart today in pa and they charge a 15.00 fee for every layaway if you layaway 100.00 its now 115.00 plus if you cancel it is another 10.00 charge so you don't end up saving anything kmart price adjustments for black friday don't count because there is no layaway for that day best bet get up early and go kmart has become a big disapointment :(

i was at kmart today in pa and they charge a 15.00 fee for every layaway if you layaway 100.00 its now 115.00

Either you misread the signage, or you were waylaid by a very dumb employee. The layaway fee is $5.00; the $15.00 refers to the minimum deposit amount IF your total layaway amount is less than $150 (otherwise, the minimum initial payment is 10% of your total purchase price).

Here is Kmarts 2008 layaway policy:

http://content.kmart.com/ue/home/Kmart_Layaway.pdf

Layaway Fast Facts:

• A Layaway contract is eight (8) weeks.

• The Service Fee on all new Layaway contracts is $5.

• The Cancellation Fee on all new Layaway contracts is $10.

• The Service Fee plus Cancellation Fee, or 10% down payment (whichever is

greater) is collected when merchandise is put into Layaway

• The bi-weekly payment schedule for all new Layaway contracts is 25% of the original

balance due.

• As long as the payments are made on time, the merchandise will be held for you.

• Layaway merchandise will be returned to stock seven (7) days after a missed payment.

• If Layaway merchandise is returned to stock, you are eligible for a refund minus Service and Cancellation Fees for a one year period.

Note: Maryland layaway fee law is as follows:

• Layaway is subject to a single non-refundable service fee after seven (7) days.

• $1 service fee will be charged on total merchandise up to and including $500.

• $5 service fee will be charged on total merchandise that exceeds $500.

• Tax will be charged on the fee amount.

• Layaway merchandise will be returned to stock fifteen (15) days after a missed payment.

Unauthorized Merchandise

The following merchandise cannot be put in Layaway:

• Beer, wine, and cigarettes

• Flammable products and fuel

• Food and other perishable merchandise

• Live plants and horticulture

• Oil and chemical based products

• Photo Finishing and Portrait Studio pictures

• Chemicals

• Gas additives

• Magazines

• Paint thinner

• Prescription drugs

• Pool chemicals

• Cellular phones and beepers

• Personal Computers

Layaway Transaction Rules

• You can use one or any combination of these acceptable payment options: cash, check, credit card (Sears card, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express), debit card, Kmart Gift Card, Kmart Cash Card, coupons or EBT Cash (Note: EBT food stamps are not allowed).

• New Layaway contracts cannot be created if you have other delinquent Layaways contracts.

• No partial takeouts are permitted.

• Person initiating Layaway must be the same person finalizing Layaway.

A picture ID is required for all new Layaways, pickups and refunds.

• If you make a payment that is less than the minimum amount due; your

payment due date is not advanced to the next biweekly cycle. You are still obligated to fulfill the rest of the current payment balance before the system will advance your next payment due date.

• Mail payments can only be made with a check.

Customers can receive only one price adjustment on advertised items within seven (7) days of the initial Layaway date.• No price adjustments are allowed on clearance items or Holiday merchandise.

• Partial refunds will be completed when you come in for the final payment .

Note: Rain check (merchandise on sale but out of stock) and special orders can be put on Layaway only after the item arrives in the store.

Holiday Layaway Policy

• All Layaway containing Holiday and Christmas seasonal merchandise (for example, Christmas trees, decorations, ornaments, gift box sets, lights, etc.) must be paid in full and picked up on or before December 5, 2008. After this date they will be returned to stock and subject to all applicable fees.

Home Electronics merchandise greater than $200 are excluded for Layaway after November 16, 2008.• No “New” Layaways will be accepted between December 12, 2008 and

January 2, 2009.