Laptops

dbaby4ever

Can you purchase a laptop before BF and get a price adjustment after BF?

LOL.. I'll bet you're laughing at me right now, If only it were that easy, huh?

I dread BF:(

No. They do not price match on BF for one thing. The other is the laptops they sell on BF are put on hold so they are not available to buy. They are made special for BF in most cases using slightly cheaper parts so they can afford to sell it at such a low price. They lose money on every one they sell as it is. It is used to get people in the door. An old bait and switch tactic that all reteilers use. You go in to buy a $229 laptop that gets sold out so you buy a $450 laptop instead because it's the only one left, and fill your cart with other sale items and a few non-sale items.

Nah, not laughing. Fact is we all started at some time. Some just longer than others. This is about my 10th or 12th BF. I'm currently training a few rookie family members, including the next generation, my 10 year old daughter and 13 year old nephew.

Guest CS.Dean

Most likely not. The laptops they have for BF will be one time SKU's, meaning they can only be used that day, and most of the stores have been told to hold their stock on BF laptops.

Further, a lot of the BB's do not open their customer service desk for price adjustments during black friday. You cannot get the adjustment after black friday because the sale will be over, and the price is no longer valid.

2 years ago I bought the doorbuster desktop. I also bought one of the 22 in westinghouse monitors. Later that day ( about 5 pm) I went back and took the monitor that came with the desktop back. Customer service took care of it without any hassle.

Last year was the same when I did not want the printer that came with the laptop. I went back and they adjusted the peice and gave me the money back

-On the 2 Toshiba laptops for $380 (3GB 160GB HD) and $480 (4GB 250GBHD) it looks like it says limit 15 per store. Does that mean 15 for each or 15 for both?

Examining the ad carefully, it appears that there are a minimum of 15 of those laptops period. There are a minimum of 15 laptop packages (the upgrade).

Examining the ad carefully, it appears that there are a minimum of 15 of those laptops period. There are a minimum of 15 laptop packages (the upgrade).

Thanks! That how I read it but wasn't sure. Damm I'm sure I won't be there early enuff for this :(

Thanks! That how I read it but wasn't sure. Damm I'm sure I won't be there early enuff for this :(

There's reason to be hopeful though. They say MINIMUM of 15. That is just to cover their butts. It is possible that they will have more. My local BB typically has 20-25 if the ad says min. 15. Plus, I'm sure that there will be many who will think that it is 15 each and will believe that they can show up later and get one.

-On the 2 Toshiba laptops for $380 (3GB 160GB HD) and $480 (4GB 250GBHD) it looks like it says limit 15 per store. Does that mean 15 for each or 15 for both?

The ad looks very deceptive. It says a minimum of 15 packages per store twice, once under each item. My guess would be 15 of each. It also states 1 per household for each, there too I would think 1 of each laptop package per household of this item. As someone else stated though, although they say 15 per store, there are usually 20 - 25 of each item per store. When they give out these laptops it will probably b 2 seperate people, one giving out the ticket for each, so I see no reason for not being able to get both if you choose, although I don't really need both I don't think anyone would stop me if I chose to get them both.

Never say never. If you get there early enough you could have your pick of anything you want. Go get in line now and I don't think you would have too much competition yet, lol. Seriously the first thing that will sell out os the $229 laptop, than the $379 laptop. Personally I plan to get the $479 laptop. Not sure where you are located but you are welcome to join me Thursday morning and I can pretty much guarantee your choice of any doorbuster you want. I got 2 laptops and the desktop last year, all 3 the hottest doorbuster items.

Well I've been following this thread for a little bit now, I figured I'll jump in with a question. First, I'd like to think I know a fair bit about laptops, but I figured I'm come here for some opinions. My cousin who likes to play games is looking for a cheap laptop this BF that'll handle some gaming. I would say that this laptop should be able to play a game like Call of Duty 2 at or near the max resolution of say a 15.4" screen is capable of. Also if possible it should be able to handle some Half Life 2 and it's episodic add-ons.

Therefore, my question is will the $379 Toshiba laptop at BB on BF handle what I just mentioned. How about this rumored $229 laptop? I know that laptop won't do HL2, but like what level of games could it do?

Well I've been following this thread for a little bit now, I figured I'll jump in with a question. First, I'd like to think I know a fair bit about laptops, but I figured I'm come here for some opinions. My cousin who likes to play games is looking for a cheap laptop this BF that'll handle some gaming. I would say that this laptop should be able to play a game like Call of Duty 2 at or near the max resolution of say a 15.4" screen is capable of. Also if possible it should be able to handle some Half Life 2 and it's episodic add-ons.

Therefore, my question is will the $379 Toshiba laptop at BB on BF handle what I just mentioned. How about this rumored $229 laptop? I know that laptop won't do HL2, but like what level of games could it do?

Most new games require a 64 bit graphics card or better (preferably better, at least 128 bit. The laptop for $229 last year could NOT handle the graphics. I am not sure of the specs on the one this year but I would tend to go for a better one with a better graphics card. For that reason I am going for the $479 laptop, although from the research I have done it appears either the $379 or $479 should work for games. Both (againccording to the research, but since the items specially made for BF there is no telling 100%) seem to have an allocated graphics card that you can adjust from 128 - 319 bit graphics by going into the control panel. I am going for the $479 personally because I can never have too much hard drive space and I know I'm going to upgrade to the 4 gig ram any way if I buy the $379 model with 4 gigs of ram. That being said, the $229 laptop is excellent but weak in the graphics department. For internet and everything else you could think of it is perfect, but it can not play high graphics games. If you look on the box that you received with the games, look at the minimum requirements. Most likely it says 64 bit graphics minimum. That is where they save money and can sell a laptop cheap. Before buying it try looking at the Best Buy site for exact specs for the model they are actually offering, if they give all the info on it. On the other hand, if you are home when they finally post the specs there is a good chance you won't be close enough to the front to get it any way. I would either have someone check the specs and let you knwo once you are on line or ifyou live close enough check the specs when you take a bathroom break. Hope my info helps. The $229 laptop this yer may have a better graphics card but if you go for cheap, while it may be able to play the games you have now, the games coming out next year may require 128 bit graphics minimum and will make it obsolute for your uses, where the $379 or $479 could be adjusted to give you up to 319 bits which should last for at least another 2 years or so.

Do you guys think any of the laptops from BB will be online for purchase on Thanksgiving day?

Yes they usually are available but they sell out in under 5 minutes. Personally I think I have a better chance waiting in line 20 hours to get the laptops for that price. Most people (dang here goes the secret) will put it in their cart before the sale and refresh until the price changes and then order it quickly.

Yes they usually are available but they sell out in under 5 minutes. Personally I think I have a better chance waiting in line 20 hours to get the laptops for that price. Most people (dang here goes the secret) will put it in their cart before the sale and refresh until the price changes and then order it quickly.

The thing is I don't mind paying 399.00 for a laptop now with the same specs as the 379.00 is because their is only a 20.00 difference. To me that is worth not standing in a line for 20 hours for a laptop I may or may not get

The thing is I don't mind paying 399.00 for a laptop now with the same specs as the 379.00 is because their is only a 20.00 difference. To me that is worth not standing in a line for 20 hours for a laptop I may or may not get

I completely agree if the item is the exact same item but that is very rare with laptops. In my opinion the 2 best laptop brands are Sony and Toshiba. Everyone has their own opinion I'm sure but I have a Sony, 2 Toshibas, and a Compaq. My personal laptop is the Toshiba. I'm not sure which laptop you are refering to for $399 but if it's a Toshiba with the same specs as the one in the Best Buy ad I would say go for it. After years of doing BF sales I love the adrenaline rush and it's not even about any particuler item. Even if I wasn't going for more laptops this year I would be on a line someplace.

I completely agree if the item is the exact same item but that is very rare with laptops. In my opinion the 2 best laptop brands are Sony and Toshiba. Everyone has their own opinion I'm sure but I have a Sony, 2 Toshibas, and a Compaq. My personal laptop is the Toshiba. I'm not sure which laptop you are refering to for $399 but if it's a Toshiba with the same specs as the one in the Best Buy ad I would say go for it. After years of doing BF sales I love the adrenaline rush and it's not even about any particuler item. Even if I wasn't going for more laptops this year I would be on a line someplace.

I agree with you with regard to the quality of Toshiba notebooks. But I disagree with Sony. Sony has a long history of poor quality notebooks. It is compounded by the fact that Sony charges a premium for them. I've found that inexpensive Compaqs are surprisingly reliable... more so than the more expensive Compaqs or any HP.

I have the same attitude as yours about BF. It's a lot of fun and a once-a-year thing that is so outside my normal routine.

@TazErase - Thank you for your response. It was quite helpful to me, but I have a quick follow-up... Do you think for the $300 - $400 price range this Toshiba laptop for $379.99 @ BB will be this year's best bet for a laptop that can do some decent gaming? I noticed either Office Max or Office Depot had a laptop for $349.99, so I wanted to know your's or anyone else's opinion.

@TazErase - Thank you for your response. It was quite helpful to me, but I have a quick follow-up... Do you think for the $300 - $400 price range this Toshiba laptop for $379.99 @ BB will be this year's best bet for a laptop that can do some decent gaming? I noticed either Office Max or Office Depot had a laptop for $349.99, so I wanted to know your's or anyone else's opinion.

The way I do the research since most model numbers won't help too much due to it being a special made laptop for BF, I go to the manufacturers site and see what the lowest specs are on their cheapest laptops. From there you can get an idea of what their lowest quality item is and figure the cheapest laptop for BF is someplace in that range, possibly a little lower in some specs. Most people don't think to ask about a video card, so that is one of th things they will go cheap on. The 3 things they will usually put the most money into are the most common specs that most people look at, the memory size, the processor speed (although most BF sales only state the tye, not the actual speed), and the hard drive capacity. Another thing the $229 laptop will probably not have is a DL DVD writer, which I believe the $379 has.

Office Depot has the HP for $349. The fine print under the 99 is too blurry to read to know what exactly the deal is on this item. What I can tell you is Toshiba is better tha HP, and although I may cause some controversy with this one, I feel AMD is a better processor than the Intel ::::ducking flying objects being thrown from loyal Intel users::::: As far as the graphics cards used in HP, their lowest quality is the ATI Radeon HD 3200 which claims to be able to play all the latest 3D games. Doesn't specify the MBs but I would say it has to be at least 128. The next lowest is 256MB. The Toshiba at Best Buy as an allocated 128 - 319mb that can be adjusted if you need more than the 128 minimum. Also if you look at the MSRP the HP is $600, the Toshiba is $649.

My best opinion would be to go for the Toshiba at Best Buy.

The way I do the research since most model numbers won't help too much due to it being a special made laptop for BF, I go to the manufacturers site and see what the lowest specs are on their cheapest laptops. From there you can get an idea of what their lowest quality item is and figure the cheapest laptop for BF is someplace in that range, possibly a little lower in some specs. Most people don't think to ask about a video card, so that is one of th things they will go cheap on. The 3 things they will usually put the most money into are the most common specs that most people look at, the memory size, the processor speed (although most BF sales only state the tye, not the actual speed), and the hard drive capacity. Another thing the $229 laptop will probably not have is a DL DVD writer, which I believe the $379 has.

Office Depot has the HP for $349. The fine print under the 99 is too blurry to read to know what exactly the deal is on this item. What I can tell you is Toshiba is better tha HP, and although I may cause some controversy with this one, I feel AMD is a better processor than the Intel ::::ducking flying objects being thrown from loyal Intel users::::: As far as the graphics cards used in HP, their lowest quality is the ATI Radeon HD 3200 which claims to be able to play all the latest 3D games. Doesn't specify the MBs but I would say it has to be at least 128. The next lowest is 256MB. The Toshiba at Best Buy as an allocated 128 - 319mb that can be adjusted if you need more than the 128 minimum. Also if you look at the MSRP the HP is $600, the Toshiba is $649.

My best opinion would be to go for the Toshiba at Best Buy.

Shhhhhh....noo stay AWAY from Best Buy!! Stay...awayyyyy...stayyyy farrr awayyyy! Buy now...dont wait!! lol :D

Why are Sony laptops such hit or miss? I'm looking at the Sony VAIO Blu-Ray laptop from Best Buy for $900, just wondering if theres alot of issues with those laptops.

I currently have an Acer that I want to use just for school purposes, and its had problems since week 1. I even had to just reformat it to set it back to its original state, but it still craps out on me occasionally.

Why are Sony laptops such hit or miss? I'm looking at the Sony VAIO Blu-Ray laptop from Best Buy for $900, just wondering if theres alot of issues with those laptops.

Just refer to the google and search for: Sony vaio recall

I have yet to personally see any Sony Vaio notebook in person that functions as intended.

I personally enjoy Lenovo laptops more, and agree on Sony being not so great. As for Toshiba, they're great but I just can't stand their keyboards.

I agree about the Lenovo laptops, especially the T series. Nothing beats an IBM/Lenovo keyboard!

I agree about the Lenovo laptops, especially the T series. Nothing beats an IBM/Lenovo keyboard!

Please don't equate IBM with Lenovo. When IBM produced ThinkPads (including the underlying engineering) ThinkPads were tops. You paid a premium, but you received a solid quality device. Unfortunately things have gone downhill once Lenovo took over.... not just the manufacturing but the design and engineering.

TazErase how do you feel about Dell computers????

I have a Dell desktop. They are nice systems but usually way overpriced. Most Dell's come with customer support. For the most part I know a lot about computers and other than hardware poblems didn't use the support much. From experience I can say their drives break down quite frequently. I have gone through 3 hard drives (on my 3rd now), 2 cd rom drives (on my second), and also on my second dvd writer drive. Also on my second keyboard. I have had the computer for about 3 years and I am planning to retire it this year. They were quick to send the replacements which I installed myself but it has given me a lot more issures than most other systems, only it didn't cost me for the repairs. I would say if you need the service it is defineately worth it, if not you can get a cheap emachines that works fine. My 2 year old, now 3, has the emachines and has never had a problem with it and didn't need anything replaced.

TazErase if you come across a good deal on a Toshiba laptop for 399.00 before black friday with 3g please pm me.

I wouldn't buy a laptop before BF. You waited this long, what's a few more days? No matt how many other deals come up, they won't be as good for the same price. If I see something no problem I'll let you know, but IMO I'd wait.

Please don't equate IBM with Lenovo. When IBM produced ThinkPads (including the underlying engineering) ThinkPads were tops. You paid a premium, but you received a solid quality device. Unfortunately things have gone downhill once Lenovo took over.... not just the manufacturing but the design and engineering.

I have to disagree with your assessment. My Lenovo-built ThinkPad T-60 has the same "solid as a tank" feel as my earlier ThinkPads. The T-60's quality and performance has been top-notch and the keyboard is still the best of all my laptops. I have no qualms recommending Lenovo T-Series laptops to family, friends, or business associates. Perhaps is the IdeaPad models you've had problems with.