Laptops

dbaby4ever

Does anyone know if BB had any better deal on laptops than other stores? What brand were they & how much were they? We didn't have a BB in our area until this year so I am thinking about going. Is it worth it?

Welcome to the community!

Last year BB had Gateway, HP, Sony and Toshiba laptops.

BestBuy - Toshiba Core 2 Duo 17" Laptop w/ 2GB, 160GB, HD-DVD Drive - 799.99

BestBuy - Sony 15.4" Laptop with 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, 3-in-1 Printer, Mouse, More - 499.99

BestBuy - Sony 15.4" Laptop with 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, DVD Burner - 399.99

BestBuy - HP AMD Dual-Core 15.4" Laptop w/ 1GB, 160GB, DVD-RW - 449.99

BestBuy - HP AMD Dual-Core 15.4" Laptop w/ 1GB, 160GB, DVD-RW, Printer, Mouse - 549.99

BestBuy - Gateway AMD Turion 64 X2 14" Laptop w/ 2GB, 250GB, More - 629.99

BestBuy - Gateway AMD Turion 64 X2 14" Laptop w/ 2GB, 250GB, Printer, Webcam - 729.99

If you are thinking about getting one I would be in line EARLY. The first 10 or so in line want laptops and most of them are college kids.

If you have anymore questions please post!

Does anyone know if BB had any better deal on laptops than other stores? What brand were they & how much were they? We didn't have a BB in our area until this year so I am thinking about going. Is it worth it?

Sony 15.4" Laptop with 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, DVD Burner - 399.99

I got two of these on Black friday last year. DH and I both bought one we upgraded the ram to 2 gig but they forgot to charge us for the upgrade :eek: . We didnt relize till we were on our way home because we spent over 3000K that day in that store alone so I dont feel too bad and plus they didnt have the tv they had advertised in stock and I was 4th in line so it wasnt like I was not there in time .> But i agree if you want a laptop in anystore on black friday and its below 400.00 you need to be in line on Thanksgiving day . We were in line at 5 am Thanksgiving day so we were in line for 24 hours camped out .. MAN i wish I was camping out again this year but I am not since DH has to work plus we are going on 4 trips in the next year and really dont need any big ticket items this year ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Is it worth it? Hhhhhmmmmm a $199 Emachines desktop with printer (excellent, got one last year) a $229 Toshiba laptop with printer (excellent, got one of these too, but kinda weak graphics, can't play a lot of the newer games) or a $399 (rumor is it may be $299 this year) Sony Vaio laptop (excellent top quality laptop, good graphics, good memory, good storage space).

Do you think I recommend it? HELL YES!!!! If the new locatioon was by me I'd probably recommend you not go only to reduce the competition, lol. The store I go to has been around for years, besides I get there so early only someone crazier that myself would be there earlier, and that's been very rare over the past few years I've been going.

I got the Sony at BB last year and i was like the 250th person in line. I got the last flyer for one though and also got there at 11 pm to get in line.

Dang you're lucky. If you are not one of the first 50 on the line your chances of getting the cheap laptop are slim to none. I think the $229 Toshiba was sold out by the 25th person last year. Even the others were sold out by the time it hit the first 100 people, or less since I was way in front it was hard to keep track but I saw some people there only a few hours after me that I know didn't get one.

Guest CS.Dean

I got the Toshiba laptop last year. Worked on the memory a bit and it turned into a really good machine. Ending up selling it to a friend. I know run a Gateway. I absolutely love this machine.

Hear a rumor of a Compaq this year in the $150 to $175 range. Also heard of a Sony that will also be sold for a good deal.

Most of these kids throw their purchased laptop up on ebay for 50 -100 bucks more. They start appearing about 20 minutes after BB opens. If you miss out and are willing to pay a few bucks more, its worth checking out.

I wish that was the case. From what I saw, almost all wanted at least $200 more than the retail cost. After they paid sales tax and ebay fees, they would net a profit between $100 and $150. It's sad too because at that point, people are better off waiting for another decent sale where they could spend the same amount and get a better one plus have a store receipt to go with it.

Since your store is new, I'm not sure how much clearance they might have, but I know the local stores around here have some good clearance deals on laptops which are the same quality, if not better then any BF special. Also, the best laptop deals usually are not during the month of November. You are better off finding a good laptop during December, when they start cutting prices to get those last minute sales.

BUT I GOT THERE AT 6PM THANKSGIVING DAY!!!

I am going in at 3 PM this year, if I don't get at least SOMETHING I want, it will be my last year. :mad:

This year will probably be your last then. Last year deals were terrible, but yet there were reports every were people were in line on wed night and early AM (1am-3am) this yr will probably be worse tight budgets, cheap stuff.

you might do better buying a refurbished laptop online... i got a fujitsu A3210, 3 gb ram, 200 gb hd, card reader, webcam and dvd burner for $500... works great, no problems after 6 months use.

For that price you should be able to get a decent Sony Vaio brand new on Black Firday. I wait all year for these sales because of the great discounts. Never buy a computer or other electronics after early August, you're better off waiting for the BF sales. I save up for a few months before and always buy new tvs, laptops, and desktops every year. Even if you are buying it to hang onto as a spare it's a lot cheaper than paying for repairs of an oler computer in most cases.

BUT I GOT THERE AT 6PM THANKSGIVING DAY!!!

I am going in at 3 PM this year, if I don't get at least SOMETHING I want, it will be my last year. :mad:

Depending on the location you might have to get there the night before (Wednesday night) or try finding a less popular location. Last year I got on line at 3:30pm and I got what I wanted (barely) but the year before the line was empty at that time. You look like you're in Nashville Tn which is a larger city, maybe try another location a little further from the city if you want to have better luck. Last year I was hearing about the Best Buy 25 minutes away that had a line much larger than where I was because it was a bigger city. Actually there was another Best Buy about 40 minutes away that there were news reports of a 5 miles line of traffic trying to get to that location. It's all about location, it could be worthwhile to drive 30 minutes out of the city for shorter lines (BY NO MEANS WOULD I SAY SHORT LINES since a short line, the short line where I was last year had about 5000 people and stretched for almost 1/4 mile byt the time they let people in)

Welcome to the community!

To get a laptop you need to be the first 5 in line. The first 10-15 people in line get the good stuff.

Most stores have a minimum number of each of the BF items. I believe the $229 laptops last year had a 15 per store minimum. I was a little late (not my fault, the line started 3 hours earlier than the year before). I was #24 and got the 19th of the 20 laptops they had at the location I was at. In most cases you have to assume almost everyone there early is getting a laptop, since most of them are. A few didn't want the $229 laptop and chose the get the Sony Vaio instead or I would not have gotten the Toshiba. Also in most cases they don't let kids get tickets and some people are just there to be with their friend who is waiting for a laptop. This year I plan to be 3 hrs ealier than it started last year. I have a few friends that want laptops that have never done the BF sales and need me to make sure I can get them their early enough to get them. I plan to get the Sony this year only because the Toshiba doesn't have the graphics to be able to play the newer computer games.

I got the Toshiba laptop last year. Worked on the memory a bit and it turned into a really good machine. Ending up selling it to a friend. I know run a Gateway. I absolutely love this machine.

Hear a rumor of a Compaq this year in the $150 to $175 range. Also heard of a Sony that will also be sold for a good deal.

Best Buy usually has a Toshiba Satellite for $229 with a printer, rumor is it will be $149 thisyear, not sure if there will be a printer or not. Personally, given the choice of a Toshiba or a Compaq, I'd prefer the Toshiba. Walmsrt has a Compaq on sale Saturday for $298. Also another laptop that Best Buy usually has BF is the Sony Vaio for $399, this year rumored to be $299. If you play games on the computer the Sony has much better graphics than the Toshiba but other than that the Toshiba is a great machine. In fact that's what I am using right now :)

Best Buy usually has a Toshiba Satellite for $229 with a printer, rumor is it will be $149 thisyear, not sure if there will be a printer or not. Personally, given the choice of a Toshiba or a Compaq, I'd prefer the Toshiba. Walmsrt has a Compaq on sale Saturday for $298. Also another laptop that Best Buy usually has BF is the Sony Vaio for $399, this year rumored to be $299. If you play games on the computer the Sony has much better graphics than the Toshiba but other than that the Toshiba is a great machine. In fact that's what I am using right now :)

I am using the $229 laptop, too. Had to upgrade the ram, though.

It won't be $229 this time due to rising cost of materials. Most likely, it will be $249 with printer.

Best Buy usually has Toshiba for $229 but I've been hearing rumors of a laptop for $150 this year. Hopefully it is a Toshiba and not a Compaq. Personally I prefer Toshiba and almost anyone involved in the computer technician industry will probably say the same thing. I'd rather a Toshiba for $229 than a Compaq for $150 with the same technical specs.

I am using the $229 laptop, too. Had to upgrade the ram, though.

Yeah, same here. I have 2 gb of ram. I also have external hard drives to compensate for the low hard drive space. Bought it all last year on Black Friday at Best Buy also at lower prices than normal prices. Hoping to pick up another laptop this year and a 2 TB external HD.

It won't be $229 this time due to rising cost of materials. Most likely, it will be $249 with printer.

At $229 they were losing money any way. I don't think they are going to worry a little about the rise in costs, it was the same price in 2006 and 2007. They may also want to put a nail into CC coffin and get rid of them once and for all. They smell the blood and may try to force them out for good. I would expect to see some deals at CC but not as good as years past due to their financial situation and as I said before they lose money on each doorbuster they sell.