Laptops

dbaby4ever

Depending on the location you might have to get there the night before (Wednesday night) or try finding a less popular location. Last year I got on line at 3:30pm and I got what I wanted (barely) but the year before the line was empty at that time. You look like you're in Nashville Tn which is a larger city, maybe try another location a little further from the city if you want to have better luck. Last year I was hearing about the Best Buy 25 minutes away that had a line much larger than where I was because it was a bigger city. Actually there was another Best Buy about 40 minutes away that there were news reports of a 5 miles line of traffic trying to get to that location. It's all about location, it could be worthwhile to drive 30 minutes out of the city for shorter lines (BY NO MEANS WOULD I SAY SHORT LINES since a short line, the short line where I was last year had about 5000 people and stretched for almost 1/4 mile byt the time they let people in)

Thanks, I am going to try a different area this time. Last year, they had 21 of each item in stock, so I know that if I get there at 3 and there is already 25 or more, I am going home. :gdparanoid:

For the record though, there was only about 500 people in line at our store, so it really wasn't all that bad as far as the line went. My major gripe last year was; every single day that month the high temp. in the day was about 65 or 70 degrees and the nights were between 40 and 50 degrees. That night, 24 degrees and 30 mph wind. :mad: The next night, calm winds and 45 degrees.

I am just looking for a decent laptop, but, I know that is a big ticket item. I need a printer and a camcorder as well, so it really just breaks down to what they have have this go around. :smart:

I guess I will just have to wait till the 24th just like everyone else.;)

Welcome to the community!

To get a laptop you need to be the first 5 in line. The first 10-15 people in line get the good stuff.

YEAH BABY..WE SURE DO!! :cheesy: Last year me and my hubby were 1 & 2 year before we were 4 & 5. This year we plan to be 1 & 2 again. :yup: When you are up front you get the best stuff AND don't have to worry about those mysterious people that just pop up in front of you from no where (line cutters..grrr :gdparanoid:). Gonna join the Black Friday BIG Tent City this year. We are taking an 8 person tent, last year all we had was a pup tent..lol! My hubby is 6 foot 2..it was interesting to say the least. :blush: Especially since we were 1 & 2 he had to play security cause every time we crawled in our teeny tiny tent someone would try to cut. :mad:

Good times...good times! :fluffy:

Guest CS.Dean

My wife and I were 1&2 last year at 11 am in the morning on thur.

This year we plan to be in the top 5 at least. There is a CC about 1/2 mile from BB and it is closing so we will probably have even more people than ever this year. Usually the first 20 or so band together to stop the line jumpers

My wife and I were 1&2 last year at 11 am in the morning on thur.

This year we plan to be in the top 5 at least. There is a CC about 1/2 mile from BB and it is closing so we will probably have even more people than ever this year. Usually the first 20 or so band together to stop the line jumpers

The 15 or so behind the first 5 of us WERE the line jumpers!! LOL! :cheesy:

I have been going to BF for the pat 4 years. Each year I have to get there about 3 hours earlier than the previous year. Last year i was ther at 2pm on Thanksgiving. This year I will be there at 10am. I have never been further back than 25 or so. I was #4 last year. I hope to get a laptop this year.

I have been going to BF for the pat 4 years. Each year I have to get there about 3 hours earlier than the previous year. Last year i was ther at 2pm on Thanksgiving. This year I will be there at 10am. I have never been further back than 25 or so. I was #4 last year. I hope to get a laptop this year.

At my local BB in Michigan they already started lining up the Weds. before Turkey Day. I'm scared to think what it will look like this year. I want to upgrade my laptop, but I think I'll spend the extra $200 and eat my turkey indoors this year! :yup:

Not too crazy about the deals that were just posted. The only hope is that they do what they usually do which is post a few secret items the night before. That's where the usual $229 laptop and $199 desktop come in. They are never announced on the printed ads.

Do not dismay my fellow Best Buy Tent City Buyers, the best deals are still coming.

The Toshiba for $379 is a pretty good deal if you are looking for something with a little power, and not waste time and money upgrading. The sale price is far better then any laptop discount I've seen in recent memory, and the Toshiba's are great quality. Yes, it isn't dirt cheap, but it's something that will last for a college student for years.

The bundle deal isn't too bad for a complete solution either.

Not too crazy about the deals that were just posted. The only hope is that they do what they usually do which is post a few secret items the night before. That's where the usual $229 laptop and $199 desktop come in. They are never announced on the printed ads.

Do not dismay my fellow Best Buy Tent City Buyers, the best deals are still coming.

:crossfing

I want everything to be about $100 cheaper! I truely believe there will be another ad.

The Toshiba for $379 is a pretty good deal if you are looking for something with a little power, and not waste time and money upgrading. The sale price is far better then any laptop discount I've seen in recent memory, and the Toshiba's are great quality. Yes, it isn't dirt cheap, but it's something that will last for a college student for years.

The bundle deal isn't too bad for a complete solution either.

True, I was looking at both the $379 and $479 deals. I have a Toshiba now and it's great but I can't play games that require more than a 32 bit graphics card and many of the newer ones require a 62 bit. Based on what I could find out it looks like these have a 128 bit graphics card which would be great, I could finally get rid of my desktop and still have a lot of power. I download a lot and have almost 4TB in external hard drives but I could always use the 250 rather than the 160g. Also if I get the 3g memory, I know I'm going to wind up upgrading it to 4 any way. I'll probably get one of these for myself and get the cheaper ones for the kids. Rumor is a $150 laptop (rumor is Compaq, hoping for Toshiba) and $300 Sony Vaio. I'll grab them both for that price. Get rid of all the desktops in the house then, except for when they play their games they'll have to go to the desktops which I'll put in the basement.

:crossfing

I want everything to be about $100 cheaper! I truely believe there will be another ad.

Yeah there always is, they just do that to keep people like us from finding out too soon. I'll have to make phone calls to find out though since I'll probably already be on the line at Best Buy by the time the internet ad comes out. They don't post it until Thanksgiving, maybe late Wednesday at earliest.

I believe they changed to 1 per household not that long ago. They have no way of verifying if you both live in the same household, so I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you are using a credit card in different names.

I'm planning to pay cash. If they ask I'll just tell them I'm George Washington :tongue1:

Thanks, I am going to try a different area this time. Last year, they had 21 of each item in stock, so I know that if I get there at 3 and there is already 25 or more, I am going home. :gdparanoid:

For the record though, there was only about 500 people in line at our store, so it really wasn't all that bad as far as the line went. My major gripe last year was; every single day that month the high temp. in the day was about 65 or 70 degrees and the nights were between 40 and 50 degrees. That night, 24 degrees and 30 mph wind. :mad: The next night, calm winds and 45 degrees.

I am just looking for a decent laptop, but, I know that is a big ticket item. I need a printer and a camcorder as well, so it really just breaks down to what they have have this go around. :smart:

I guess I will just have to wait till the 24th just like everyone else.;)

You could always ask the other people what they are getting if you wind up being number 25. Most people don't mind telling you, but watch out that no one tries cutting in front of you before they give out the tickets.

Last year wasn't as bad as 2006 here in :::location left out to avoid additional competition, lol:::. Besides, where I go if you get there early enough there is a covered awning and the wind is blocked on 3 sides. The year before I was a little late and froze on the line rather than in a semi-sheltered area.

Only 500 people on line? Dang, I should go to that location, lol. The line here stretched from the entrance through the entire parking lot and around past other stores that didn't have any lines (TARGET, lol). Like I said though, not nearly as bad as other locations. Besides, if you stand there all night, have a backup plan of a second computer you are interested in getting. I'm planning to get the $379 or more likely the $479, but I'll take either (or both) and I'll get the $150 laptop (rumored to be announced Thanksgiving Day) and possibly the Sony (also rumored to sell at $300 but not announced yet). You really can't go wrong with any of those deals.

I believe the emachines bunldles between $150-$200 are always in the regular ad , but not the cheap laptops. Maybe $299 is the best we'll see for a desktop bundle.

You could always ask the other people what they are getting if you wind up being number 25. Most people don't mind telling you, but watch out that no one tries cutting in front of you before they give out the tickets.

Last year wasn't as bad as 2006 here in :::location left out to avoid additional competition, lol:::. Besides, where I go if you get there early enough there is a covered awning and the wind is blocked on 3 sides. The year before I was a little late and froze on the line rather than in a semi-sheltered area.

Only 500 people on line? Dang, I should go to that location, lol. The line here stretched from the entrance through the entire parking lot and around past other stores that didn't have any lines (TARGET, lol). Like I said though, not nearly as bad as other locations. Besides, if you stand there all night, have a backup plan of a second computer you are interested in getting. I'm planning to get the $379 or more likely the $479, but I'll take either (or both) and I'll get the $150 laptop (rumored to be announced Thanksgiving Day) and possibly the Sony (also rumored to sell at $300 but not announced yet). You really can't go wrong with any of those deals.

Last year, me and my "crew" made our own tent with an pop up awning and 4 tarps. lol

My wife's uncle brought a recliner and just kicked back for the night.

Last year, me and my "crew" made our own tent with an pop up awning and 4 tarps. lol

My wife's uncle brought a recliner and just kicked back for the night.

Tried bringing a generator, I was told it wasn't allowed, tried bringing a tent, nope, they dn't allow that either, tried a BBQ grill, not allowed. All they allow here is a chair, small table, blankets, and sleeping bags. This year I'm bring my wife's hightop van with a double bed. She won't go any other way, lol. She doesn't like getting cold so she'll probably spend a good part of her time in there. I've been doing this for about 12 years and have stayed in all weather and conditions. Worst is heavy rain or snow in under 10 degree weather. Last year was actually one of the best at about 50 degrees. I alrdy know where I'm setting up, right in front of the door that they use to let the people in. I'm usually one of the first 25 people at the location, this year I plan to be about 5 hours before the first person showed up last year. I have a feeling that Best Buy is going to get more business and earlier lines this year since the ads all seem to suck. Than again, if they don't have some good stuff in the additional ad they post I think a lot of people will just stay home. Where I work this is our busy time of year and instead of UPS hiring helpers they are laying off drivers. Come January anyone with under 10 years will be laid off at my location so with all the financial problems in the country I'm sure a lot of people would need a real good reason to buy anything at this time of year. Post office is laying off 40,000eople, DHL is shutting down all but the air operations. Tha's a lot of people out of work in my field alone when this is our "busy" time of the year.

Hello all, new on here. Just getting into the BF shenanigans, last yr all i got was an olevia HDTV from kmart , but this year looking to score a new laptop. Was wondering if that Sony Vaio 4gb RAM, 250 GB HDD w/ Blu-Ray is legit??? I know some people have been saying the ad is a fake, but just in case its not or if that item really is on sale, I'm looking for something like that. Any info/tips?

posted this in another thread but figured i would try this one as well... thanks for any info!

Tried bringing a generator, I was told it wasn't allowed, tried bringing a tent, nope, they dn't allow that either, tried a BBQ grill, not allowed. All they allow here is a chair, small table, blankets, and sleeping bags. This year I'm bring my wife's hightop van with a double bed. She won't go any other way, lol. She doesn't like getting cold so she'll probably spend a good part of her time in there. I've been doing this for about 12 years and have stayed in all weather and conditions. Worst is heavy rain or snow in under 10 degree weather. Last year was actually one of the best at about 50 degrees. I alrdy know where I'm setting up, right in front of the door that they use to let the people in. I'm usually one of the first 25 people at the location, this year I plan to be about 5 hours before the first person showed up last year. I have a feeling that Best Buy is going to get more business and earlier lines this year since the ads all seem to suck. Than again, if they don't have some good stuff in the additional ad they post I think a lot of people will just stay home. Where I work this is our busy time of year and instead of UPS hiring helpers they are laying off drivers. Come January anyone with under 10 years will be laid off at my location so with all the financial problems in the country I'm sure a lot of people would need a real good reason to buy anything at this time of year. Post office is laying off 40,000eople, DHL is shutting down all but the air operations. Tha's a lot of people out of work in my field alone when this is our "busy" time of the year.

WOW really? They are really great here. Not only are you allowed to bring tents and generators, but they also had propane heaters! Folks were even having XBox game competitions and watching lcd tvs! :cheesy:

Hello all, new on here. Just getting into the BF shenanigans, last yr all i got was an olevia HDTV from kmart , but this year looking to score a new laptop. Was wondering if that Sony Vaio 4gb RAM, 250 GB HDD w/ Blu-Ray is legit??? I know some people have been saying the ad is a fake, but just in case its not or if that item really is on sale, I'm looking for something like that. Any info/tips?

posted this in another thread but figured i would try this one as well... thanks for any info!

The ads are legit or they wouldn't be posted with the actual photos from the circular. The companies all get the items printed weeks in advance, the ads on here either come from someoneat the printer or someone that happened to get a copy of the ad. I saw the ads last year on here first and when they finally did come out I already knew what I wanted based on these ads and found the actual print ads to be exact matches to the ads posted here. The peopl at most of the stores probably aren't even aware of what items are going to be on sale yet so they will tell you not to trust anything you saw online. Look at the deals posted and if any of them prove to be wrong feel free to post it but I'm sure you will not find that to be the case. It it wasn't correct I would not be back here if they gave wrong info last year.

WOW really? They are really great here. Not only are you allowed to bring tents and generators, but they also had propane heaters! Folks were even having XBox game competitions and watching lcd tvs! :cheesy:

I think Best Buy would be ok with it, but it's in a mall and mall security won't allow it. Mall security caught someone taking a leak in the parking lot (on one of their cameras, not even in person) and they came over and said if they caught anyone else they would have them arrested. Luckily I live near by but for some people they are out of luck and there is no way to make it on lne as long as myself and many others do without going to the bathroom. Especially with all the coffee, lol. I brought a laptop to watch movies and it was too loud so I gave up that idea too.

anyone know anything about that laptop then?

i'm lookin for somethin like this w/ a blu-ray player. kinda wonderin if im even going to be able to get one if its one of the more popular items since i wont be able to get in line until 10pm thurs night.. do the more expensive laptops still go quickly also?

thanks for any info :)

Guest CS.Dean

and interestingly, another BF site doesnt even list the VAIO laptop as an item for BF, that why i was wondering if it was legit..

In a Best Buy today and I was told there will be at least 1 more laptop doorbuster. Should be in the $200 range. Read on another sight that it would be a netbook but I doubt that because they sell very few netbook models. The Sony that is rumored to be in the $300 range....I can't get any info. There has been a list issued to ALL Best Buy that is a "Hold" list. My guess it is the regular inventory stuff that is in the ad.

anyone know anything about that laptop then?

i'm lookin for somethin like this w/ a blu-ray player. kinda wonderin if im even going to be able to get one if its one of the more popular items since i wont be able to get in line until 10pm thurs night.. do the more expensive laptops still go quickly also?

thanks for any info :)

The cheap laptops usually go the fastest, especially with the economy being the way it is. The first to go will probably be the $229 Toshiba (I'm pretty sure it will be listed in the additional ad), than the $379 Toshiba. I would say that the Sony with Blu-Ray you are looking for will sell out, but depending on how busy the location is I thin you could have a decent shot at it.

and interestingly, another BF site doesnt even list the VAIO laptop as an item for BF, that why i was wondering if it was legit..

Some sites don't list all the items or they miss something. I mainly use this site but I do check a few others as well and I have seen it on at least 3 others.

In a Best Buy today and I was told there will be at least 1 more laptop doorbuster. Should be in the $200 range. Read on another sight that it would be a netbook but I doubt that because they sell very few netbook models. The Sony that is rumored to be in the $300 range....I can't get any info. There has been a list issued to ALL Best Buy that is a "Hold" list. My guess it is the regular inventory stuff that is in the ad.

The $229.98 laptop I have been hearing about is a Toshiba Satellite. I could look up the exact model number but fact is it is a special one made for Black Friday for Best Buy. In the past, the Sony Vaio you are referring to was listed at $399, rumor is that it will see for $299 this year. I'm hoping for both. Last year not all came with a DVD writer, this year none of them even list it since it is pretty much standard on all models at this point. Only negative is the video card for the Toshiba for $229 last year was only 32 bit and most games are 64 bit graphics. If you don't play games on it, that is an excellent system.

Can you purchase a laptop before BF and get a price adjustment after BF?

LOL.. I'll bet you're laughing at me right now, If only it were that easy, huh?

I dread BF:(

Most likely not. The laptops they have for BF will be one time SKU's, meaning they can only be used that day, and most of the stores have been told to hold their stock on BF laptops.

Further, a lot of the BB's do not open their customer service desk for price adjustments during black friday. You cannot get the adjustment after black friday because the sale will be over, and the price is no longer valid.