Desktop PC's

mysticmage

This year I'm hoping to go to Best Buy as my first year getting there later than four, so I got a few questions so I'm at the very least prepared. My Compaq SR2039X from Best Buy 2006 and gave to my brother died on him a few days ago, so instead of paying the $200 HP wants to fix it, I'd rather just get him a new computer instead as a gift instead.

How popular are desktop computers at Best Buy? I mean, for the cheaper ones, does everyone in the first section of line grab the tickets (by cheaper I mean about $200)? Are they a problem to lug out? What time at the latest should I get there?

Not sure if any of you are from this area, but I do live in Pittsburgh and most likely am talking about the one in South Hills on Alicia Drive.

This year I'm hoping to go to Best Buy as my first year getting there later than four, so I got a few questions so I'm at the very least prepared. My Compaq SR2039X from Best Buy 2006 and gave to my brother died on him a few days ago, so instead of paying the $200 HP wants to fix it, I'd rather just get him a new computer instead as a gift instead.

How popular are desktop computers at Best Buy? I mean, for the cheaper ones, does everyone in the first section of line grab the tickets (by cheaper I mean about $200)? Are they a problem to lug out? What time at the latest should I get there?

Not sure if any of you are from this area, but I do live in Pittsburgh and most likely am talking about the one in South Hills on Alicia Drive.

Welcome to the community!

If you after the cheap desktops then I would get there early. I would expect to wait in line for abut 24-37 hours so that put you in line sometime after Midnight on Thursday morning. The first 10 or so in line are there for desktops and laptops and the people who are in front are high school and college kids. They need them for school and they are at a good price. So you have to watch them for line jumping (there friend joining them way after you get there).

As far as lugging it out they are easy. E-machines now pack the desktop and monitor in the same box.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please post.

Please read the BB ticket FAQ in this section as the desktops are ticket items.

BB Ticket FAQ: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=115158

Welcome to the community!

If you after the cheap desktops then I would get there early. I would expect to wait in line for abut 24-37 hours so that put you in line sometime after Midnight on Thursday morning. The first 10 or so in line are there for desktops and laptops and the people who are in front are high school and college kids. They need them for school and they are at a good price. So you have to watch them for line jumping (there friend joining them way after you get there).

As far as lugging it out they are easy. E-machines now pack the desktop and monitor in the same box.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please post.

Please read the BB ticket FAQ in this section as the desktops are ticket items.

BB Ticket FAQ: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=115158

Thanks for the fast responce!

How much does time varry? It would be very difficult to get there any time sooner than 7PM Thanksgiving night. Is that really dragging it to the point where I'd be better of just going to a smaller store (OfficeDepot, etc) and paying $100 or so more?

Thanks once again!

It really really really depends on your community. Some aren't so into lining up for hours, so they have a shorter wait time. But if you want a cheap desktop, you really do need to get there by 7pm and even then, you might be out of luck.

If you want a desktop no matter what, then you can try Office Depot/Staples since their waits are almost always shorter.

You can try speaking to a manager or someone who was there the previous year for the BF at that Best Buy and see if they know what time the line started.

Thanks for the fast responce!

How much does time varry? It would be very difficult to get there any time sooner than 7PM Thanksgiving night. Is that really dragging it to the point where I'd be better of just going to a smaller store (OfficeDepot, etc) and paying $100 or so more?

Thanks once again!

From your profile it looks like you are in a big city. I would say 7pm on Thursday will be too late. I would say from the trends from the last few years and my own exprinces that 7pm on Thursday will be too late. I would say that if you get there by 6am on Thursday you might have better luck.

If you have any more questions just post!

Thanks, it would stink to stay until four only to find out that you didn't get a ticket and have to go over to another store. My store isn't that bad, and doesn't get overly crowded, and is medium on the scale.

When are Best Buy ads leaked? What's the lowest priced desktop that OfficeDepot/Max/Staples has sold in the past? When do the lines start for them?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just rather new at this and pretty curious.

Thanks, it would stink to stay until four only to find out that you didn't get a ticket and have to go over to another store. My store isn't that bad, and doesn't get overly crowded, and is medium on the scale.

When are Best Buy ads leaked? What's the lowest priced desktop that OfficeDepot/Max/Staples has sold in the past? When do the lines start for them?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just rather new at this and pretty curious.

The BB ad is leaked around the end of Oct start of Nov. Last year it was leaked Nov 9. With that said BB officially released there ad the Monday before BF so that is why the lines formed early and got big. The general public got to see the ad early and got more time to plan.

The lowest price I have seen at the office stores are around $400.00-$500.00. Dont hold me to this as I am going from memory.

You can go to the link below to see the past ads

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=115267

Big Jim Slade, has BB had a $200 computer in the past?

mysticmage, can your brother build a computer and have you thought about trying www.newegg.com? you can usually build one cheaper than you can buy one already built and you wouldn't have to wait in a line. you have enough time that you could start checking & buying what you need now as it goes on sale.

2 years ago, I got a desktop pc (eMachine with printer and lcd monitor) for $200.. they had the same deal last year but I didn't go because I was saving to build my own pc... cost a bit more but was exactly what I wanted and needed.

I am sure BB will have the same deal this year..

We got the $200 desktop and $220 "secret" laptop deal last year at Best Buy. We got there at 6:30pm on Thanksgiving day, we was 38th in line. This was in Tulsa,Ok which is a medium size city. We got the 2nd to the last flier for the desktop, most people wanted the laptop.

I don't know how will it be this year, They did build a 3rd best buy this summer so hopefully there will be more chances to get the good items!

In my experience go to the lesser known best buy in your area, you may have a better chance.

I've never seen the line at my best buy start to form any later than true Thursday morning hours (say 8 am) last year with the wii, I know there were tents Wednesday late night...We got our desktop at Office Depot 2 years ago, short line, got in line at 4 am, no problems...

Not sure for your area but my area is much smaller than yours and we get in line at 4pm thurs. Even then we are usually 30-40th in line. We have no prob getting the desktops and laptops. So if you are wanting to get one you definately need to be inline way before 7pm.

Not sure for your area but my area is much smaller than yours and we get in line at 4pm thurs. Even then we are usually 30-40th in line. We have no prob getting the desktops and laptops. So if you are wanting to get one you definately need to be inline way before 7pm.

You also have to remember that this year the store are not stocking up this year so you may want to be in line before 4pm this year on Thursday. Laptops and desktops are always a popular item. This year there will be a big supply and demand issue.

Thanks first off for all of the posts, they've been very helpful.

Building a computer isn't really an option in my case because it would exceed the cost of an eMachine or buying a PC from a different store regardless. The machine isn't for me and will be a word processing machine which I'm sure whom I'm giving it to will be fine with no matter what the specs are.

The selling points on it for me is mainly that it's new and comes with a one year warranty as well as a LCD. What's inside it and the printer, I don't really care for.

With stocks (both in items and the stock market) being so low at Best Buy, going to an Office Store seems like a much better option. There is no way I could possibly get there earlier than 6-7 PM and with so many posts saying they got there only a half hour sooner and almost got cut off pretty much tells me Best Buy is a no go. So I'm thinking going to an OfficeDepot/Max that opens at 5 at 4 sounds like a better idea. What are the best computer deals there usually (are they biased more toward laptops or desktops), are my hours correct, and would four be okay or should I try 3:30 in order to try to get a maybe $300 hopefully PC that comes with a LCD? Do they have computers priced around there?

Sorry for the questions again, just very curious. I'll be looking over the previous ads for them as well.

Edit: after looking through the 2007 text ads all I could find was:

OfficeDepot - HP Pavilion AMD Athlon 4800+ 3GB 320GB Desktop w/22" Monitor - 599.99 AR

OfficeDepot - Toshiba 15"4 2GB 160GB Widescreen Notebook - 499.99 AR

OfficeMax - Acer Aspire Dual-Core Desktop with 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 599.99

OfficeMax - HP Pavilion 15.4" Notebook Bundle w/ 6.2MP Digicam & Printer - 849.99

Do they typically have more stuff in the ads, and just leave it out on the text based ones?

Edited by mysticmage

Go to the link below and you can view txt files of the past BF ads. There you can see what has been offered in years past.

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=115267

Thanks, I'm a bit confused though, are there only two computers in their ads, or are only the major sales noted?

Secondly, would four be okay to arrive at one of those stores?

Thanks, I'm a bit confused though, are there only two computers in their ads, or are only the major sales noted?

Secondly, would four be okay to arrive at one of those stores?

To my knowledge what is in the text files is everything that was in the ad. Maybe Brad can chime in on it.

I think you will be safe to get there around 4 or so local time if you go to a office store. Most people who will buy computers will go to BB, CC, WM, Frys and CompUSA.

I dont know if you know this or not but one of the main reasons BB is very popular is NO rebates. All of the other stores have rebates and you may have to deal with the rebates.

I lived in a suburb last year and got to our BB at 1pm Thursday we were first in line. People started showing up VERY quickly after that. Were now outside Cincinati and I have no clue what time they line up here so I guess I need to do some research. Rarely do the lines just start after lunchtime on Thursday though.

To my knowledge what is in the text files is everything that was in the ad. Maybe Brad can chime in on it.

I think you will be safe to get there around 4 or so local time if you go to a office store. Most people who will buy computers will go to BB, CC, WM, Frys and CompUSA.

I dont know if you know this or not but one of the main reasons BB is very popular is NO rebates. All of the other stores have rebates and you may have to deal with the rebates.

I lived in a suburb last year and got to our BB at 1pm Thursday we were first in line. People started showing up VERY quickly after that. Were now outside Cincinati and I have no clue what time they line up here so I guess I need to do some research. Rarely do the lines just start after lunchtime on Thursday though.

Well, Best Buy is out of the question due to the lines, so either WalMart or an office store seems like my best bet. Thanks to everyone for giving me a better idea, without you guys I'd be at Best Buy at 7 and end up with nothing :yuck:

My local WalMart is a smaller one and gets no lines at all, I got there 15 minutes before they opened last year and was tenth in line, so I'll have some hope in them as well. OfficeDepot and OfficeMax are both options too. Rebates won't be much of a problem, I'll just charge it and hopefully the rebate will come within 30 days.

Thanks all of you for your help, wish me luck, and I'll keep hoping for a $299 desktop :)

• 3 weeks later...
My opinion: I live in Gloucester County, Virginia and travel over to Newport News, Virginia to go to BB for Black Friday. We have always got there between 5-7pm and last year we got there at 6:30pm on Thanksgiving night and I was able to get the last ticket for the Sony Vaio laptop. If you are looking for one of the 200 dollar computers I suggest being there by 3 pm on Thanksgiving day. I was 27th in line last year, arriving at 6:30. Newport News, Virginia is a large area but we also have 3 other BB's in a 75 mile radias. Good luck all, Happy Holidays

last year on thankgiving i was shopping at kmart at 9 am.. i drove past bestbuy to get to kmart to see best buy people were already set up from the night before. after leaving kmart i went past another bestbuy and saw not as many people on line . so idecided to go home and think this over . talked my son into going and sitting on line till i got dinner going and showered and i would come back and releave him so he can enjoy dinner with the family. ( i have never ever missed a holiday and have always done for my brothers and sisters and my family) this year they decided to get up set with me cause i went from black friday to thanksgiving. i told my husband for once in my life i want ot do something i enjoy and its for my family and if they can not understand this then i will not do it anymore ( the holiday that is ) i was so mad they were so greedy. so by 10 am my son was on line waiting and i got back there by 1230 ish. i sat all day all night we were 17 and 18 in line. there were 15 reg desk tops and 3 upgrated ones. i did not care if it was a upgrated just wanted the desk top and a lap top for my son. i did get the lap top and as for the desk top the family in front of me each got a ticket 3 . that left me out of getting one. the 15 yr old boy talked in his language to his mom and dad and turned and gave me a ticket. he over heared me talking on the phone how i wanted this so bad. he was not greedy. so i tell u this story as awarning due to people think they can do there holiday and relaxe with there family and then rush over after they are done eating dinner . the lines were arround the store and man come time to give out tickets . the fights and cops were there. i dont understand how people think getting there so late will get them it . when u see how many people want it so they line up earlier and earlier. i was thankfull i got what i need and wanted and left. i enjoyed my time and was glad i got in fast as idid not want to be out side with people so nasty. not sure if i will do it again this year asi really dont need anything that big. good luck with getting it . and remember enjoy it and plan well

Guest CS.Dean

seen something earlier ( strictly heresay).

desktop will be $200 this year ( suppose to be a HP)

Also that the laptop will be around $150 this year ( toshiba like the past)

Saw some other stuff as well

2 different HD TV's

and another higher end laptop ( Viao)

This was a PRINTED list not a ad scan

I bought the Emachine that was on sale last year for $199 and it still runs great. In order to get one I would say you have to be somewhere in the first 60 - 70 people at most. The first thing to go are the $229 laptops, then the $199 desktops and the $399 laptops. Even within the first 60 - 70 is risky but further than that and you're chances are about as good as hitting the lottery. As far as the Compaq you bought in 2006 (I got one of those too), what went wrong? Maybe I can give you a much cheaper solution so you don't have to get a new one at all. Helps to know how to repair computers when you give each child their own computer especially when my son was 2 at the time. Never too soon to start teaching them how to use it.

As far as what time to arrive it varies based on where you are located. Some lines start forming Wednesday evening, others start Thursday evening. No matter where you are by 6pm Thursday if you are not on line and near the front go home and get some sleep or go to a different retailer. Best Buy is notorious for one of the longest lines, and longest checkout (that's the worst part, 2 hours in line to pay for the item you stayed on line for 24 hrs to get in the first place). As bad as it sounds staying on line all day and night for the item it will become addictive, lol. I go earlier each year and actually meet the same people every year that like me enjoy the rush of staying on line all night, lol.

seen something earlier ( strictly heresay).

desktop will be $200 this year ( suppose to be a HP)

Also that the laptop will be around $150 this year ( toshiba like the past)

Saw some other stuff as well

2 different HD TV's

and another higher end laptop ( Viao)

This was a PRINTED list not a ad scan

Sounds great. I also heard the better laptops such as the Vaio is going to be $299 rather than $399 (last years price).