Thanksgiving Dinner

stacy0479

If your BF and his friends are serving in the military right now they just want some home cooked food! Do a turkey and any of the side dishes from when you were young. Either bake or have an older relative bake at least 1 desert(pie,cake etc..) you can do bakery also. Make sure you have enough because they will pack it in. Have a set up for the Football games and make them feel welcome. Good luck:)

if you don't want to do a whole turkey then I suggest a turkey breast or two (depending on how much everyone will eat); everyone gets the best part then and it's much easier to cook :) I'd ask everyone you plan on having to dinner what they like to eat and pick a few things from among them; corn, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole (and cranberry sauce) are pretty standard. I agree with keeping it simple.

Make sure to have some containers for them to take leftovers home. (Gladware) I always do this when my husbands friends come over for dinner.

Maybe you can do a test run with the turkey. It is very easy to cook, but can feel intimidating if you haven't cooked one before.

Be sure to pick up a meat thermometer (the pop up ones in the turkey aren't always accurate)

Mashed potatoes are easy to make and inexpensive so you can make a lot. All the guys I know LOVE mashed potatoes.

Have fun! Try not to stress about it and even see if any of the guys like to cook and ask if he'd like to help. My brother is in the Army and loves to help out in the kitchen when he visits, because he can't cook in his barracks.

Preparation is key. Figure out what you would like to make for the meal, write that all down. Then figure how long each item will take to cook. Make sure you have the right dishes/tools to use.

I suggest making a timeline of when items need to go in the oven. Use crockpots when you can, as this will help give you more room in the oven.

If you are making any food (desserts/pasta salads/etc) that can be made a day ahead of time do so.

And remember, have fun that day! Good luck!

I would suggest making as much as you can the day before. I even do the stuffing the day before and then stuff the turkey right before sticking it in the oven. That way the only thing I have to do on Thanksgiving day is pop everything in the oven and make the potatoes,turkey and stick the rolls in the oven. I also use throw away tins. Makes for easier clean up. If you get the ones shaped as bread pans you will have more room in your oven to heat stuff up, and more room to store things in the fridge. Timing is key, so if you do make things ahead of time take into consideration that they will take longer to heat as they have been in the fridge overnight. One more thing. Make sure to have extra jars of gravy on hand just in case yours doesn't turn out so good. Oh, and have fun.

I have a menu that I use every year. If you want I will email it to you.

Buy a non-frozen turkey. If you get a frozen one, it needs several days to thaw out in the fridge. Don't just put it in a day or two before, it'll still be frozen solid on the inside (and good luck getting the giblets out). If you go with turkey breast only, might want to make sure that's ok with everyone. Last year my wife's family convinced her to go this route, we spent a good bit more money than usual, and turned out my brother only eats dark meat. Argh!

Don't stress out making everything perfect. Canned vegetables are fine. Instant mashed potatoes are fine (I prefer them to the real thing anyways). Rolls that you just need to brown are fine. If you're doing all this yourself, I'd try limiting yourself to two truly home-cooked items, not counting the turkey. Maybe you can make the dressing and some pies, and the rest is canned or instant.

Get the guys to help out. Assign them tasks that they can't possibly screw up. My wife has made the mistake of having me get the turkey ready (which is why I now know to give it several days to thaw or buy non-frozen) and of letting me brown the rolls (anything that can be browned, can be burned). Microwaving some canned vegetables and making instant mashed potatoes has proven to be mostly guy-proof (if the potatoes are too thick add milk and butter, if too milky then throw in more flakes, hard to mess up!).

Last suggestion, go ahead and get whatever canned goods you need now. The popular stuff can be hard to find the day before (this goes for New Year's too).

I forgot one thing! It is a must and VERY important! When I made my first turkey I did NOT do this.

You MUST take out the bag of giblets and turkey neck out of the turkey. (unless you want them in there). Some folks use them for gravy.

Also I will post what I make for Thanksgiving dinner, for some ideas for you:

• Turkey (fwiw, locally the cheapest place I've found is Aldis for a ButterBall Turkey)
  • Stuffing (ya, I buy the boxed stuff, it's easy and quick, fairly cheap)
  • Green Bean Casserole (green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and can of French Onions)
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Sweet Potatoes (w/Brown Sugar, a bit butter, and marshmallows)
  • Dinner Rolls (brown and serve ones are quickest and easiest, and usually $1)

Gravy (either homemade, jarred, canned, or package of dry mix)

Appetizers:

• Cut carrots, celery, brocolli w/dip
  • pickles
  • olives

Desert:

Cherry and/or Pumpkin Pie w/Cool Whip - I buy the frozen Mrs. Smiths :)

You could also make: Scalloped Corn or Scalloped potatoes

I forgot one thing! It is a must and VERY important! When I made my first turkey I did NOT do this.

You MUST take out the bag of giblets and turkey neck out of the turkey. (unless you want them in there). Some folks use them for gravy.

That's funny. My first turkey, I forgot to do that. Gross. If she is having more than 5 people she will more than likely need it for the gravy.

Here is what I make:

APPETIZERS

Baby Dills

Baby Sweets

Black Olives

Green Olives

Deviled Eggs (Make ahead)

Cranberry Sauce

Dinner Rolls (Brown and Serve is easy... just don't forget to take them out of the oven)

Main Meal

Turkey (I use Honeysuckle White... Can get at Walmart)

Spiral Ham

Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes (Make ahead)

Broccoli Casserole (Make ahead)

Cole Slaw (Make ahead)

Macaroni Salad (Make ahead)

Baked Beans (Make ahead)

Stuffing (Make ahead)

Deserts

Pumpkin Pie (Make ahead)

Cherry Pie (Make ahead)

Dutch Apple Pie (Make ahead)

Edited by krissy72

I second NoeHlp's recommendation of Aldi's for the Butterball turkey. I get one every year there for Christmas dinner, costs about $10 for a small one. For some reason, my youngest D insists on only Butterball at Christmas (since it is the holidays I indulge her whim this once).

I always use the brown n serve rolls, packaged brown gravy mix is very tasty (Pillsbury is the best but McCormick is good too) I make ahead and put in a small crockpot to keep warm. Mashed potatoes can be made early and kept warm in a crockpot too. Any casseroles can be put together the day before and popped in the oven that day.

I make Christmas dinner for DH's family every year and these tricks have really helped me out.

We do Chinese food and a new movie usually with a Christmas theme

You can also go here www.plimothplantation.com and bid on your own pilgrims to come

to your house and do everything for you :yup:

We live about 1/2 hr from here and the poor kids get dragged to that and Plymouth Rock

almost every school year:(

We cheat...we always order from the Pubix deli. We get the turkey, stuffing and 2 other sides. They will let you substitute if you don't like the given sides (which we always do) You still have to cook the turkey, but only for a few hours. You can check with your local grocery store to see if they have something like this. Like the pp's mentioned, we always do green bean casserole, mashed potato's, my mom's sweet potato casserole (no marshmellows):yuck: and for dessert, I try to make at least one or two new desserts each year. The Kraft food magazine is where I've gotten the last 2 years worth of ideas:yup:

lol...All of that for me, DH, and mom and a very picky 3 yr old! We have TONS of leftovers!

We cheat...we always order from the Pubix deli. We get the turkey, stuffing and 2 other sides. They will let you substitute if you don't like the given sides (which we always do) You still have to cook the turkey, but only for a few hours. You can check with your local grocery store to see if they have something like this. Like the pp's mentioned, we always do green bean casserole, mashed potato's, my mom's sweet potato casserole (no marshmellows):yuck: and for dessert, I try to make at least one or two new desserts each year. The Kraft food magazine is where I've gotten the last 2 years worth of ideas:yup:

lol...All of that for me, DH, and mom and a very picky 3 yr old! We have TONS of leftovers!

What time is dinner, I'll be there! I like the Publix deli very much. People without a Publix don't know what they are missing....:)

I guess my main concern is the turkey. I don't know what size to get, what brand, and how long to cook it and how. I can do all the other stuff, I am sure. Thanks everyone for your ideas. And if you have any recipes or menus, I would greatly appreciate you emailing them to me!! Thanks again!!!

Go to the Butterball website, they have all the directions. I do two turkeys each Thanksgiving (we have a ton of guests). Since I only have one oven I do one in a huge electric roaster I bought at Wal Mart for about $20 (I have seen them at Target). Very moist turkey, but not as brown if that's a concern. I prepare all the stuffing add ins (celery, onions and mushrooms, cooked in butter and a little olive oil) the day or two before, just heat it up and add the stuffin bread cubes (I use Mrs Cubbinson's). Stuff the turkey right before you cook it.

I do make ahead potates, usually bake them in the microwave on Tuesday, chill overnight, peel and shred on Wed, mix with melted butter, cheddar cheese, sour cream, minced green onions, salt and pepper. Stick it all in a casserole dish for heating in the microwave (I do 5 to 10 lbs, depending). I really would do the instant mash potatoes if I didn't have a couple of nephews who love these.....

For sweet potates we use a Martha Stewart receipe, peel, cut, mix spices and butter and bake...except we just dump it all in a couple of crock pots and cook (keep in mind we are feeding about 50, one crock pot full should be enough). No need to preboil, which saves a lot of time.

The key is to figure out how much time you need for the turkey (Butterball website), and how much oven space you will have. Then decide on the side dishes based on where they need to cook.

Have fun!

OH it's much easier than you think, don't stress, here's my meal plan:

Appetizers

Cubed Cheeses

Shrimp Ball (cream cheese salad shrimp, topped with cocktail sauce)

Fresh Veggies and Dip (make yourself or buy a tray at the store)

Dill,Sweet Pickles

Olives

Main Meal

Turkey

Mashed Potatoes (Instant)

Gravy (jar or dry packet) but homemade isn't hard either

Sweet Potatoes (brown sugar, butter marshmallows)

Green Bean Casserole (French cut, and regular cut beans, cream o mushroom soup, onions)

Stuffing (from the box, but substitute the water for turkey broth)

Oyster Stuffing (from the box, but substitute water for oyster liquor and add oysters)

Cranberry Sauce (from can)

Corn (from can)

Desserts

Pumpkin Pie (Sara Lee frozen)

Pumpkin bars (you can buy these at your store's bakery)

Apple Pie (Sara Lee frozen)

Don't forget the cool whip

Drinks

Coffee

Tea

Spiced Cider

Hope your Thanksgiving is a joyous one. It may sound like alot of work but in the end you'll be very happy you did.

Depending on how many people you will have over - you might want to invest in a turkey fryer. One reason is that it only takes about 45 minutes to cook your turkey! You can keep the other warm by covering it in foil while you cook the 2nd one. Normally you plan on like 1/2 pound of turkey per person. But I don't suggest frying anything larger than a 18 pound turkey. You would need to season your turkey the night before by using an injector and spices (easily found at the grocery store or even Target) and then doing a dry rub on the outside of the bird. You'll find yourself using your fryer at other times of the year too - great for bloomin onions!

The key is to be organized with a list and know what you can prepare ahead of time.

I always start to put together my dishes a few days before hand and keep them in the fridge until turkey day when I pop them in the oven.

I miss cooking for alot of people!

• 3 weeks later...
you can always make pumpkin dump cake, its so simple and i think it tastes better than pie, one large can pumpkin, one can of can milk, 1 and 1/2 cups sugar, pumkin pie spice to taste, and 3 eggs, mix well, pour into 9x 13 cake pan, then take 1 white cake mix dry sprinkle on top of mixture, add nuts if you want, then melt one cup of butter or margirine and spoon on top of cake, bake at 350 , bake til knife comes out clean, this is a huge hit in my house and we add whip cream when we take out of pan