Thanksgiving or Christmas veggies?

lot-narth

My mate doesn't eat any vegetables, not many fruits - mainly meat, bread, pasta, and rice. I'm always at a loss on what to make for sides. My family usually does corn casserole, and green bean casserole, roast potatoes, and cranberry. He won't eat any of that.

Does anyone have suggestion on what I should make this year? :confused:

I have had him try many things, but never found something he'll eat. I hoping to find some potato or rice or pasta dish that might fit with a Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner. I wish he ate veggies, but he won't even try greens or carrots. He ate a pea for the first time this weekend and that didnt go well. I'm going to try spiced baked apples soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had him try many things, but never found something he'll eat. I hoping to find some potato or rice or pasta dish that might fit with a Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner. I wish he ate veggies, but he won't even try greens or carrots. He ate a pea for the first time this weekend and that didnt go well. I'm going to try spiced baked apples soon.

Has he tried the broccoli and rice casserole. We always make that.

The potato casserole made with hashbrowns goes real good with ham, i wouldn't see why it wouldn't go with a turkey also. If you want recipes for these two just let me know.

I have a corn casserole recipe with yellow rice. Is that the ones you use?

Will he do a pasta salad?

I hate cranberry - but I have a great cranberry jello salad recipe that my kids will even eat!

Why does he not like them - is it the texture or the thought of something healthy going in his mouth? lol

• 3 weeks later...

Rum Sweet Potato Casserole or Candied Sweet Potatoes

Has he ever tried carrots that aren't just plain carrots? Such as glazed baby carrots (glazed with a mixture of honey, butter, and brown sugar).

Broccoli casserole (broccoli, cheese,creamed soup whatever you have on hand, rice, salt, pepper, and a bit of butter)

i used to eat creamed onions i never made it but the white sauce was kind of sweet how about acorn squash with a bit of butter and brown sugar

my ex in law she was scottish she used to make turnips they looked like mash potatoes and had a real earthy taste

Anybody will eat these!! Even if you hate Zuccini - but they don't really stay warm long after cooking. They are FANTASTIC!!

Fried Zuccini:

Olive oil, for frying

1 3/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan

1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

3 medium zucchini, cut into 3-inch long by 1/2-inch wide strips

Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F.

Stir 1 1/2 cups Parmesan, the panko, and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Whisk the eggs in another medium bowl to blend. Working in batches, dip the zucchini in the eggs to coat completely and allow the excess egg to drip back into the bowl. Coat the zucchini in the panko mixture, patting to adhere and coat completely. Place the zucchini strips on a baking sheet.

When the oil is hot, working in batches, fry the zucchini sticks until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried zucchini to paper towels and drain.

Arrange the fried zucchini on a platter. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and serve

Tyler Florence’s Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Bananas with Honey

5 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed

4 bananas, unpeeled

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1/4 cup honey

Kosher salt

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup dark brown sugar

1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, put them in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes. Toss the bananas into the pan and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, until both the bananas and potatoes are very soft. Remove the pan from the oven but don't turn the oven off.

When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh out into a large mixing bowl. Peel the bananas and add them to the bowl along with 1 stick of the butter, and the honey. Season with salt and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until everything's well combined and the mixture is fluffy. Spoon into an oven-proof serving bowl and smooth the top.

In a separate mixing bowl, use your fingers to rub together the remaining stick of butter, the brown sugar, flour, and pecans until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the sweet potatoes and return to the oven. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the crumbs are golden. Serve hot.

I hoping to find some potato or rice or pasta dish that might fit with a Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner.

Here's my take on it....find something he likes and whether it 'goes' with the meal or not, make it! Thanksgiving is about being together and sharing, not about making a 'picture perfect' table

for instance, in my family growing up, sage stuffing was the ONLY stuffing made...I hate the stuff...when I hosted my own Thanksgiving, I made sage stuffing the first year, cause 'that's what you have' and I didn't eat it. decided that was a bad idea and I make regular plain stove-top stuffing every year (I'm not the only one who hated the other stuff)

What about mashed potatoes? You can load them up with butter, sour cream and/or cream cheese, bacon, cheese, etc.

I have a killer recipe that includes French Onion dip being stirred in - along with lots of other fattening things, then you bake the whole mess in a casserole dish - after topping it with more cheese and French Fried onions.

Insanely bad for you - but oh so good! Let me know if you would like the recipe!

What about mashed potatoes? You can load them up with butter, sour cream and/or cream cheese, bacon, cheese, etc.

I have a killer recipe that includes French Onion dip being stirred in - along with lots of other fattening things, then you bake the whole mess in a casserole dish - after topping it with more cheese and French Fried onions.

Insanely bad for you - but oh so good! Let me know if you would like the recipe!

Bring on the recipe, I'm a big mashed potato person. I make loaded mashed often, everyone I make them for ends up hooked on them. :)

I love to make my mashed potatoes with sour cream and a package of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing - the powdered kind. Yummy ...

Here's my corn casserole recipe .. easy to make and really good!

1 small package of Saffron Yellow Rice Mix

1 can cream corn

1 can sweet corn, drained

1 stick of butter

1 can cream of celery soup

dash of Lea & Perrins Worchestershire sauce

2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Cook the rice according to directions on package. When rice is cooked, all the rest of the ingredients. You do not melt the butter, but add in sliced.

Pour into buttered casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Stir before serving.

There's this potato casserole my aunt makes that's great! It's with frozen hashbrowns, cream of mushroom soup I think, corn flakes on top (I know sounds weird) cheese, etc.. and you bake it. If you think it might be something he/she would be interested in let me know I can get you a recipe.

• 2 weeks later...

That recipe would be much appreciated by me too!!!!! :razz: