>>> Official Black Friday 2008 VIDEO GAME Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Okay so I am looking for a DSlite for my DD9. I found a good deal I think at EB Games. If you trade in your old DS or gameboy advanced you can get the new DSLite for 89.99. Does anyone thinks there will be any bundles that can beat this deal???

She also wants a Wii, but I gave in and just bough it for 249.99. So now I need to find games and controllers.

You're probably not going to do better on the DS itself. There will most likely be bundles, it just depends on if it's bundled with a game you want. You wouldn't get the Wii for any cheaper, it doesn't go on sale, just gets bundled. They have sales on games all the time, just keep an eye out. Toys r Us has some Wii games on sale this weekend. http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=123807

Okay so I am looking for a DSlite for my DD9. I found a good deal I think at EB Games. If you trade in your old DS or gameboy advanced you can get the new DSLite for 89.99. Does anyone thinks there will be any bundles that can beat this deal???

She also wants a Wii, but I gave in and just bough it for 249.99. So now I need to find games and controllers.

Target is selling Wii games at Buy 2 get 1 free this week (games priced $49.99 and under).

Wife and I went in to our nearest one last night and picked up three new games (Wii Music, My Sims, and a fitness game). The store's stock was picked over pretty hard already but there were still plenty of decent titles.

They also had about a half dozen Wii consoles in stock.

Ok, I'm sure these questions have been asked 50 bajillion times, but I have searched and searched and I couldn't really find the answer to my question, so if any of you out there would help me I would appreciate it so much.

My sister and I are getting my 11 year old brother the Xbox 360 for Christmas. Most likely we'll be getting him the Pro bundle, but here's my question. Is the Elite Bundle or rather the Elite system so much better than the Pro that it would be a waste of money to not get the Elite?

I want to make sure that what he has is going to be the best for our money and the best for his gaming entertainment. I thought the Pro would be fine because it has a 60 gb hard drive and honestly that much space will be fine.

I know that some of the space is already taken up because of demos and such but even with the space taken up it's still more than enough.

However, we are also getting him a new HD TV and I want the games and dvds he plays and watches to look their best, I mean this is a lot of money we're spending we might as well make sure it's the best we can get.

So, what else will we need to get him as far as accessories go if we get him the Pro? The only thing for sure that I know the Elite has that the Pro does not is the HDMI cable.

I'm guessing that's for hi-def stuff, but I obviously know nothing about that. Do we need the HDMI cable if he's getting an HD TV so that everything will be hi-def and look the best it can?

To be honest the online game play is not that important right now because we feel that he might be a little too young to be online with all the older teenagers and adults.

I think there's a pretty general consensus that even though you have to pay for Xbox Live and not for the PS3 online service, Xbox live is better in that respect so when we do let him play online he'll be set with that.

I am just more concerned about what kinds of cables and accessories we'll need and what we need to make sure the game plays as smoothly as possible and looks as great as it can.

For anyone that made it through this long series of questions and helps me out, you are awesome. Thanks!

Ok, I'm sure these questions have been asked 50 bajillion times, but I have searched and searched and I couldn't really find the answer to my question, so if any of you out there would help me I would appreciate it so much.

My sister and I are getting my 11 year old brother the Xbox 360 for Christmas. Most likely we'll be getting him the Pro bundle, but here's my question. Is the Elite Bundle or rather the Elite system so much better than the Pro that it would be a waste of money to not get the Elite?

I want to make sure that what he has is going to be the best for our money and the best for his gaming entertainment. I thought the Pro would be fine because it has a 60 gb hard drive and honestly that much space will be fine.

I know that some of the space is already taken up because of demos and such but even with the space taken up it's still more than enough.

However, we are also getting him a new HD TV and I want the games and dvds he plays and watches to look their best, I mean this is a lot of money we're spending we might as well make sure it's the best we can get.

So, what else will we need to get him as far as accessories go if we get him the Pro? The only thing for sure that I know the Elite has that the Pro does not is the HDMI cable.

I'm guessing that's for hi-def stuff, but I obviously know nothing about that. Do we need the HDMI cable if he's getting an HD TV so that everything will be hi-def and look the best it can?

To be honest the online game play is not that important right now because we feel that he might be a little too young to be online with all the older teenagers and adults.

I think there's a pretty general consensus that even though you have to pay for Xbox Live and not for the PS3 online service, Xbox live is better in that respect so when we do let him play online he'll be set with that.

I am just more concerned about what kinds of cables and accessories we'll need and what we need to make sure the game plays as smoothly as possible and looks as great as it can.

For anyone that made it through this long series of questions and helps me out, you are awesome. Thanks!

The only difference in the Pro and Elite will be the black case and a larger hard drive. I don't see anything in the package to make it worth the added as there is no other hardware difference in the two. I'm going to be in the market to replace my current Xbox 360 (month after they came out and starting to have dvd issues) and will most likely go with the Elite BUT ONLY because the black color fits the rest of my electronics better. If they had the Pro in black I would buy that one instead. As for the cables that come with it you caqn pick up a good HDMI cable from like Amazon for $5 or $6 (I've bought 4 of them) so that's of little value to you. I would suggest that you do use HDMI simply for the fact that it's a single cable solution for you then. Hope this was of some help

You can get a cheap HDMI cable online and that is the highest quality you can get. You figured out the only difference with the Elite coming with an HDMI cable..I also suggest getting the Play and Charge kit for the wireless controllers..it comes with a rechargeable battery pack..it will save him a lot on batteries..

Thank you so much Kwyjibo3637 and kanyon71! Those posts were both very helpful. I was really confused and now I am crystal clear about which one I'm getting and what I need to get with it. I will get the Pro and get the HDMI cable from Amazon or some place like that, and I will definitely get the play and charge kit. Thanks to both of you again for taking time to clear that up for me.

Question about the Wii, do you need to buy rechargeable batteries or the charging dock? I am new to the whole Wii system and want to make sure that I have everything ready to play for my DD9 on Christmas day. Also do you have to buy a controller for each game or is there a good bundle that you can buy a bunch of controllers at once for most games?

Thanks for any tips you can give me to make sure I get all the needed accessories.

I'm trying to decide between a PSP or a DS Lite for my 10 year old son. Could someone tell me the big differences. Obviously the PSP has better games and screen and that but I just cant see paying more for the PSP for more expensive games as well. He wants them both (of course) so any advice will help.

Can anyone tell me about the Guitar Hero? I don't know anything about it, and was wondering if it's a game that could teach them a little bit about playing a guitar??? I am thinking of getting my ds8 one for his ps2 b/c he likes to play video games and wanted a guitar for christmas so I thought it would be the best of both worlds. Is it worth it or should I just get him a basic guitar??? My dh think's im crazy, but they have one of them on sale at Kmart this week for $45. I just wanted to know before I bought it so I don't waste my money.

I don't know for sure if this was posted already but if it was I am sorry :blush:

Hope this can help someone who is looking for this

Dell to offer Xbox 360 Arcade and Rock Band 2 for $199 on Black Friday

by Darren Murph, posted Nov 9th 2008 at 10:38PM

The Black Friday deals have already started to flow in over on the HD front, but now that we're closing in on America's most mayhem-filled shopping day of the year, we're beginning to see stellar deals from nearly every CE category. One that caught our eye here recently was from Dell's list, and it involves what's already the cheapest gaming console on the market today (the Vii notwithstanding). On November 28th, Dell Home's website will offer the Xbox 360 Arcade with seven games including Rock Band 2 for $199, and while we highly doubt you'll receive any guitars, drum sticks or sweat bands for that price, we suppose there's always a remarkably small chance that you will. Keep the faith and raise the horns, brothers / sisters.

Can anyone tell me about the Guitar Hero? I don't know anything about it, and was wondering if it's a game that could teach them a little bit about playing a guitar??? I am thinking of getting my ds8 one for his ps2 b/c he likes to play video games and wanted a guitar for christmas so I thought it would be the best of both worlds. Is it worth it or should I just get him a basic guitar??? My dh think's im crazy, but they have one of them on sale at Kmart this week for $45. I just wanted to know before I bought it so I don't waste my money.

Guitar Hero will NOT teach your son to play the real guitar. My ds13 plays guitar and LOVES GH, but when he was just starting on both, it made it more difficult. Even though the controller LOOKS like a guitar, it is still a video game controller and has nothing to do with guitar.

It's a VERY fun game though and I'm sure he'll love it!

Thanks so much for the input. I might just get a "cheap" guitar, as I think I saw them last year for around 20 or so, now to find someone to give him a few lessons and see if he "really" wants to learn to play....maybe next year I'll get it when we upgrade to a new system, or maybe just for dad this year :tongue1:!!!!

I'm trying to decide between a PSP or a DS Lite for my 10 year old son. Could someone tell me the big differences. Obviously the PSP has better games and screen and that but I just cant see paying more for the PSP for more expensive games as well. He wants them both (of course) so any advice will help.

Get your son a PSP the DS have more girly games.....

My son, 7, really wants an XBox 360 for christmas. We already have a WII that we keep in the living room. He is wanting this for his room. I am wanting to know how good the Arcade one is? I know it doesn't come with a harddrive, so what does that mean exactly? Does it still play regular games and play movies? He is wanting to use it to play DVD's in his room as well.

He doesn't need to get online with it so I am not concerned about that.

Thanks

My son, 7, really wants an XBox 360 for christmas. We already have a WII that we keep in the living room. He is wanting this for his room. I am wanting to know how good the Arcade one is? I know it doesn't come with a harddrive, so what does that mean exactly? Does it still play regular games and play movies? He is wanting to use it to play DVD's in his room as well.

He doesn't need to get online with it so I am not concerned about that.

Thanks

Yeah, it is basically the same as any other Xbox (i.e. same functionality) but just does not come with a harddrive or wireless controllers. The harddrive is not a huge necessity but really comes in handy if you want to download anything off from Xbox Live since there is not much on-board storage in the Xbox... my Rock Band and ROck Band 2 downloads alone would be way too much for the Xbox alone and I don't have too many at all.

It is a decent item if you can get it cheap though and easy enough to get a hardrive for it (Go on Ebay for a harddrive...they are expensive at the store).

I believe the Arcade version also comes with a disk with some little arcade games on it as well.

Leah, may I suggest renting a good instrument for six months or so? A cheap guitar will have horrible quality and will be harder for him to play (I know, I had a crummy acoustic and it was really hard to press my fingers down on the strings to get good sound -- my fingers hurt all the time and even bled.)

The thing that's important when you're starting out is not getting discouraged, and a bad instrument will make it that much harder!

You can rent instruments at any decent music store.

(I'd still get Guitar Hero though!)

HTH!

For all those who want a DS, just be aware that a new one is coming out next year. The DSi will be thinner, and have 2 cameras. Also, it is reported that the Game Boy slot is removed, but the screens are bigger. It is reported to come out sometime in the first half of 2009 to countries outside of Japan, and right now it is selling in Japan for the equivalent of about US$180-190. Here are some links for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/02/nintendo-officially-unveils-nintendo-dsi/

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/10/02/nintendo-announces-nintendo-dsi/

For those that can read Japanese, here is the official site of the DSi for the Nintendo Japan:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/series/dsi/index.html

i agree.. i would rent one or even better u can buy one traded in.. i would also see if he wants acustic or electric. dh plays all the instruments and my ds 17 started on drums and went right to electic guitar.. my other two sons.. they play on both also. we have a studio in the basement so they love it all. we picked up a set arround xmass. depending on what u want to spend and how tall he is . we got a starter guitar and amp for like 150.00 .. if he is into music i would suggest this . and if he doesnt go with it .. u can always trade it in or sell it . and get something back. learning on a toy is just not the same as a real one.