>>> Official Black Friday 2008 VIDEO GAME Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Does anyone think the Sony PSP will be on sale this year? I can't remember if it was on sale anywhere last year or not, but my son really wants one for Christmas:holiday02:

I doubt you will find the PSP on sale. What you may find is a bundle along with something extra from a particular store. Sometimes they offer gift cards or memory cards etc. There are always bundles for the PSP available and on BF they will probably hae something added from the stores to sweeten the deal.

im doubting 360s will drop around BF, but they did just get a price cut in general. so thats a good thing. anyway. ive been big on games for a few years now and i will say if u don't need new release games, you may want to try BB or CC on BF.they usually have many games marked down and they dont sell out right away.

Do you think there will be any great deals on Wii's this year or are they still too new to warrant a huge drop in price?

I dont think you will see a sale on Wii's since they are in a supply and demand issue.

Please search the forums next time to be sure the subject you want to post about is not already being talked about. Thanks!

Edited by bigjimslade
moved to VG thread

I am lost on this whole PS3 thing. They remarketed the 80 gig ones and repriced them to make them match the 40 gig ones, or something or other..I think! Can someone help me out in understanding which one I need to get? Can any of the ones that are out play PS2 games?

Thanks for any help!

I am lost on this whole PS3 thing. They remarketed the 80 gig ones and repriced them to make them match the 40 gig ones, or something or other..I think! Can someone help me out in understanding which one I need to get? Can any of the ones that are out play PS2 games?

Thanks for any help!

there is currently only one PS3 available to buy new and that is the $399 80gig, it has no backwards compatibility with PS2 games. Only the 60gb, 20gb(?) and the LAST 80gb(Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle) have backwards compatibility with PS2. the current one you will find in stores ($399 80gb) does NOT play PS2 games. if you can find the MGS4 bundle 80gb for a good price I suggest getting that if you want to play PS2 games..it also has 4 USB ports..which is good if you need to charge 4 controllers at once.

I'm trying to decide between Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero World Tour. Any thoughts on which is better?

We have Rock Band 2 and had Rock Band 1, we play it quite often. From what I've seen so far GH:WT is a little better for Guitar but not as good as RB2 for Drums, both are about he same for Vocal. RB2 has FAR more downloadable content available for it which means more songs. You can also pick up a used RB1 and import all the songs from it into RB2. Both games can use the instruments from the other so if you decide to get one full set you can always pick up the other game disc only.

there is currently only one PS3 available to buy new and that is the $399 80gig, it has no backwards compatibility with PS2 games. Only the 60gb, 20gb(?) and the LAST 80gb(Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle) have backwards compatibility with PS2. the current one you will find in stores ($399 80gb) does NOT play PS2 games. if you can find the MGS4 bundle 80gb for a good price I suggest getting that if you want to play PS2 games..it also has 4 USB ports..which is good if you need to charge 4 controllers at once.

SO I need to find a used one? Thank you so much for your help!!!!

For those looking for a deal on a PS3 or a PSP, if you are willing to apply for a credit card, Sony is offering $150 off your first $300 purchase. My wife and I each got one. We used the first to get a PS3 for $250 and the second to get $309 worth of accessories for $159.

For the PSP, you could get the system, a big memory card, and a couple games for less than you would pay for a bundle at a retail outlet.

Free shipping too ;-)

SO I need to find a used one? Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Think hard about this. The newer PS3s use chips that use less electricity and generate heat. This will save you money every month and prolong the life of your console (heat kills). You will also forgo a warranty. If you buy your new PS3 via the sony card promotion, your premium for backwards compatability will be ~$300 -- you should be able to find a PS2 for that price ;)

Also, all PS3s play PSOne games, so there is some BC.

Good luck!

Either get a used PS2 or find one of the older PS3 models.

The newer PS3s do not use significantly less electricity. 15 watts less is not that much. Let's say you play one hour a day for a month. That is a mere 450 watts less (0.45 kW). My electric bill charges 0.03 per kWh.

My point is don't base the purchase solely on the electricity savings.

15w is a CF bulb ;) But you're right, it's the impact of consuming more electricity that is most important -- more electricity consumed, the more heat produced. Heat kills. Oh, and the $300 you save by buying the new PS3 with a Sony card (compared to the premium people are paying for the 60g bc units)...and the warranty.

We have a PS2 and half our games are PS2, but we manage to play them on the PS2. In fact, we take the PS2 camping and in the car and have it on a 'lesser' tv -- which means the kids can play something else while we watch a blu-ray movie.

I want to get my kids guitar hero world tour or rock band for christmas. We only have a ps2 so I'm going to need to get a ps3 or xbox this year too. Anyone have any feedback on those consoles? Which is better? I haven't had a chance to play with either one. I'm thinking that pre-ordering might be a good idea for the games since availability may be a problem. They say they don't charge your credit card until the item has shipped.

I want to get my kids guitar hero world tour or rock band for christmas. We only have a ps2 so I'm going to need to get a ps3 or xbox this year too. Anyone have any feedback on those consoles? Which is better? I haven't had a chance to play with either one. I'm thinking that pre-ordering might be a good idea for the games since availability may be a problem. They say they don't charge your credit card until the item has shipped.

To be honest I think it's which you prefer, I have all three current consoles. The 360 has had reliability issues but I've also had mine for some time with few issues, I think the 360 has a better online community for the moment, the PS3 has the built in Blu-Ray player which to me is a great thing, the graphics capability of it are just now coming into bloom so games for it will start looking even better. I would take a look at the games and even used game prices and availability in your area and all being equal just pick the one you like more. I honestly like how the PS3 looks in entertainment center far more than I do my 360.

So I am in the market for a 360. I wanted to wait until the BF ads to come out to see if anyone combo'd a TV and 360 for a decent price. 32-37 inch + 360 premium for 399-599? Wishful thinking? But with that being said, I am also entertaining the thought of using the 30% cash back from ebay when you use microsoft live search. I could get a 360 premium holiday bundle for 299.99 + free shipping + no tax with roughly $90 cashback (after 60 days). I have used it before and it definitely isnt a gimmick. Plus if I do it now, I'll have the money just before christmas.

What to do... What to do...

If your wanting pink( I've been told they are always the hargest to find) I would say buy it now & hang on to your receipt, if you find a better deal later you can always return the other one...

try checking limited too, that is always the color they have in the store;)

Sony just introduced a new model of the PSP, so I don't think they're going to go away soon.

The reason for lack of selection is more of the PSP using a propietary disc format that isn't used on any other device. So stores may be reluctant to carry a lot of inventory because of that. Particularly with movie titles.

I currently have the Xbox 360 and the WII

I had the PS 3 for anout a week and sold it

If you want a blu ray player the PS3 is nice but the 360 had alot more games and

they are always adding more. The WII is great but it seems to not have very many games

it reminds me of the gamecube they got some games but then the games just where not all that great for it.

PS3 great for the Blu ray the graphics are not that much different than the xbox 360

But I didn't care for the online play of the console.

Wii great for group gaming with kids and adults but alot of games are the same and they dont have alot of games that are like more teen young adult based.

Xbox 360 Great for online play and alot of games. Downfall they have some issues with it breaking but there is a 3 yr warranty and it takes only about 2 weeks for the turn around

As far as sales on the consoles not sure but last year I got a xbox 360 and

a $50 gift card for the $349 price with the console being cheaper at around $250

With a $50 gift card that would be a great deal.