Why doesn't Walmart just do 75% off their toys (like Target) and be done with it?

bonjulie

My walmart has a clearance isle---with stuff from all different departments---the stuff has been the same price for literally 4 or 5 months. And it's barely marked down...so none of it is moving. :( And they still have a big cart of Xmas stuff up front...75% off. :( I don't check toys..but they can't be any better there either.

I avoid Walmart for the most part nowadays. I still find myself going there for groceries now and then, but that's about it. I'm not even sure I would go there for 75% off of their toys! I almost got "kicked out" of Walmart a few years ago...but...well, that's way off topic! LOL

If I ever hit the lottery or make it big time$$$$, I vowed to myself that I would never step foot in another Walmart for as long as I live. This is mostly based on their effect on small town rural communities-that my family and I have come from. Same story different town-about 6 years ago the town mayor and his puppets/people voted in favor to turn the regular Walmart into a Super. To fast forward the story and you all know it, the main mall in town has went down the wayside. 3 Grocery Stores have closed and a number of small mom/pop merchant stores have shut down. I just shake my head thinking about it-the last I read, Walmart opens 3 new stores daily in the United States. :yuck:

Walmart just takes their own sweet time in clearancing merchandise, unlike Target and other competitors, because they can. Look at the warehouse they call a store. Someone above described their clearance items very well in the dusty dirty look. I will add to that in that they almost have a Dollar Store feel to them, but not the Dollar Store price tag. To add insult to injury, I've found toys/action figures that are literally 2-3 years old at Walmart that were once clearanced out, but when I hit the price scanner I noticed that the price on the old figures were actually HIGHER then what they normally sold for.

Walmart is TERRIBLE about marking there clearance down...But if you see something that you really want that has been lying around for months...Have someone page the store manager and ask him or her for a further reduction...

My store has a clearance corner for all depts..Its old and dusty..and the clearance prices are marked only 30%....Over the summer they had a Barbie comforter/sheet set marked at $40..It set there all summer...Finally in August I had the manager paged and asked if I could get it marked down further..and let him know it had been sitting there since May....He gave it to me for $12...

It is worth a shot if you see something thats been lying around for a while..and you really want it...

Walmart is TERRIBLE about marking there clearance down...But if you see something that you really want that has been lying around for months...Have someone page the store manager and ask him or her for a further reduction...

My store has a clearance corner for all depts..Its old and dusty..and the clearance prices are marked only 30%....Over the summer they had a Barbie comforter/sheet set marked at $40..It set there all summer...Finally in August I had the manager paged and asked if I could get it marked down further..and let him know it had been sitting there since May....He gave it to me for $12...

It is worth a shot if you see something thats been lying around for a while..and you really want it...

I never thought of doing this! I'm sure I could talk my husband into doing it for me. He just loves doing this sort of thing. I think it's like a sport to him! :)

I have to agree that Walmart is pretty nasty, especially here in California. Ours is always dirty and the aisles are a mess. The clearance is a joke, as described above. They had toys sitting there from summer clearance for months. They had a bunch of Vsmile games I wanted, but they kept them at $11. Finally just before Thanksgiving I asked the toy manager about them again (I'd asked a few times before), and he said, to come back the Monday after the crazy weekend and he'd mark them all $3. They had moved them to a box in the storeroom when I came back, and he kept his word.

I go there only a couple of times a month because it is so bad and so out of my way. I usually make a trip when I need health & beauty aids. Not much else there that is worth my time and trouble to deal with going there.

a couple years ago my mom and i hit the jackpot at a walmart near her.

They had their clearance toys prices clearanced out at 50 off the clearance price--no matter how much they were already were marked down. That was when i got my kids the leapster (I want to think it was the first year they came out?? but i paid 15 dollars for it and the cartridges were around 3-5 each--it was amazing!!~~ It was in feb. i do know the month...I keep hoping to find another sale like it, but no luck........

but when we went to the other walmart in the same town they werent doing it. We were told that each one acts independently of the other?? I have no idea. I only shop at walmart when i visit my parents so it is just a few times a year. but they do need to catch up with the program i think LOL

I avoid Wal-Mart at all costs. I had ordered the Dora Dollhouse Set for $10.00 and have until tomorrow to pick it up. It's pretty sad when I don't even want to go in there to pick up a site to store shipment that saved me quite a bit of money.

I used to love shopping at Wal-Mart when they first came to Tucson but they are just too trashy now. The majority of the clerks are rude, they play the most obnoxious, loudest music, you can never get through the aisles and if they are bringing out pallets, watch out! I actually had one almost take out my 4 year old daughter!!! If I hadn't pulled her out of the way, he would've run right into her. I was furious!

:gdyelling::censored::gdcensored::gdangry3::wife:

I used to work at the Wal-Mart Home Office. Most people there agree that the company went way down after Mr. Sam (the founder) died.

Did you guys know that there is even a Wal-Mart cheer for the associates to do at meetings and such?

Yeah I heard the cheer once. I was there when they opened the doors and they were all meeting at the grill. I thought to myself, if you have to make up a cheer, something is wrong

Target does it too

I used to work at the Wal-Mart Home Office. Most people there agree that the company went way down after Mr. Sam (the founder) died.

Did you guys know that there is even a Wal-Mart cheer for the associates to do at meetings and such?

I use to work at Wal-Mart too. Oh that stupid cheer. I avoided meetings for that reason alone.

I hate going into Wal-Mart. We had our car stolen from Wal-Mart and it was their fault and they wouldn't take responsibility and I vowed to never shop at WM again. I only go in there for certain things. I never do big shopping there. Now with Target accross the street I never have a reason to go in there.

BTW, last year in January out store (when I lived in TX) did a huge toy clearance like 75% off and more. I know it was around the 9th or 10th because it was right after the twins birthday. The problem is al WM do not operate the same. My mom went to hers and they had nothing!

I hate going into Wal-Mart. We had our car stolen from Wal-Mart and it was their fault and they wouldn't take responsibility and I vowed to never shop at WM again. I only go in there for certain things. I never do big shopping there. Now with Target accross the street I never have a reason to go in there

Ok, you have peaked my interest, how can a store be responsible for your car being stolen? Was it in the tire center?

Ok, you have peaked my interest, how can a store be responsible for your car being stolen? Was it in the tire center?

Yes. We took it to get the oil changed. They told us to leave the keys in the ignition. So we did and we left. It was around Memorial Day so we didn't want to wait. My husband went to pick up the car and they told him that he had already picked it up....uh, excuse me! So they figured out that before it ever got the oil changed somebody had taken it. It was a Honda Civic and those cars are used a lot for tricking out and stuff like that. Anyways, they found it 2 days later at an apartment complex. It aws parked next to Honda Civic just like it. The police said it was close to be stripped. The people had robbed a bunch of houses with it so there was all sorts if crap in it. My husbands golf clubs were in it and they were gone. WM said it wasn't there fault and we fought for a while but gave up. The one thing we got a kick out of was that it hardly had any gas and the thieves filled it up. It was nice to drive away with a full tank of gas...suckers!

Yes. We took it to get the oil changed. They told us to leave the keys in the ignition. So we did and we left. It was around Memorial Day so we didn't want to wait. My husband went to pick up the car and they told him that he had already picked it up....uh, excuse me! So they figured out that before it ever got the oil changed somebody had taken it. It was a Honda Civic and those cars are used a lot for tricking out and stuff like that. Anyways, they found it 2 days later at an apartment complex. It aws parked next to Honda Civic just like it. The police said it was close to be stripped. The people had robbed a bunch of houses with it so there was all sorts if crap in it. My husbands golf clubs were in it and they were gone. WM said it wasn't there fault and we fought for a while but gave up. The one thing we got a kick out of was that it hardly had any gas and the thieves filled it up. It was nice to drive away with a full tank of gas...suckers!

Oh man, that sucks. Did it have damage or just a full tank of gas? LOL

The only damage was a ripped liner. It was easy to fix and we ended up selling the car.

One more funny thing. There was a pregnancy test box in the front seat. I was 6 months pregnant at the time. The police picked it up and asked if it was ours. I said I am pretty sure I am pregnant...lol! Atleast I can look back and laugh at the time I was livid!

If I remember correctly our stores in my area (all we have is Walmart to shop at :( ) did a huge clearance toy markdown like the week before Valentine's day last year. They had crazy cheap prices so if you do have to shop at Walmart it might be worth checking out!! I remember things being like 75% off or more. HTH someone!! :o

It amazes me how long it takes Walmart to mark things down. I remember seeing this bed and bath set, bright colors/Gerbera Daisies, And every time I went in there, there was that set. And by every time I mean once a month or so. So for at least 7 months that set was the same price and then one day it was gone. I hadn't planned on buying it, It was just soo bright that I couldn't help, but notice it. It became a game for me when I would go to the store. "Lets see if they marked it down yet":D

I've stopped shopping at Walmart and I wish I could say it was because of the way they do business, but in actuality its because I don't like the store. Their prices are not that good, the service is awful, and the store is not convienent for me at all.

I LOVE Target, its a little scary actually, how often I am there:D:shock: . I find better deals and better quality on many items and they are very convienent for me.