Fighting Sears in RI about a RI rebate law

This most likely will only be interesting to a few that have rebate problems.

the state of RI passed a rebate law which can be found here http://www.projo.com/business/content/projo_20060719_rebate19.1397912.html#

The problem I am having with Sears in the rhode island mall is they will not honor

the advertised price they listed in their flyer on saturday.

the item was an XM samsung mp3 player worded this way.

FREE

XM samsung Mp3 Radio player

after $50.00 mail in rebate and 29.99 instant savings

the way I am interperting the law is the ad should read:

$50.00

XM samsung mp3 radio player

$50 mail in rebate available

The wife already went into the Sears and asked why it is worded the above mentioned.

the general manager told her she was wrong and he kept saying they have been

in business for a hundred years. S

she said fine i want your name first and last and corp number.

chris told her I don;t have to give you my last name and he doesn't know

the corp number. when the wife was leaving, he felt necessary to give a parting shot,

oh look she thinks she knows the law, this in frotn of 5 employees.

I have left the store manager three messages and finally got a lady who

says their legal department as ok'd the wording but yet have heard from the store manager.

also left a couple messages for the dm but i guess they don;t do anything on w/e;s

I have a local Ace Store near me and their recent ad I have in front of reads as follows

mr. clean windsheild washer de icer

$2.00 mail in rebate available

has anyone else ran into this problem, the other states i know of is CT but,

know of no others.

I really want Sears to answer how they are skirting the law, I left a message with the AG'S

office.

Not sure about RI law, but it seems that I've seen a lot of Ads like that. Right or wrong, I have learned to not get my hopes up till I read the fine print.

What do you want done? Get the item free? Have Sears commit to writing ads differently? An apology for your wife? Curious.

I'm not totally understanding the issue here but I'm not going to take the extra http off of the link to read the law either (too tired tonight).

With that said, your issue is with Sears corp, not the local store. Don't even bother with the local store. They just do what corp tells them and that's it. Granted, the comment at the end was nasty and uncalled for, yes. But seriously, do not waste your time with the local store again. You needed to head to higher ups in Sears corp to begin with.

Guest RealLivePrinces

Local stores have no say whatsoever in what goes in national print ads. I'm confused why you think this store could change it. It's not like the manager goes to Kinko's every week and mails them himself.

Remember: ads are designed to draw customers in the store and have disclaimers in the back which mention things like sales tax (of course, some things are just up to common sense too). They're not a democratic process which will change just because one customer thinks it should. How are they skirting the law? They might be highlighting a certain dollar amount as a marketing ploy, but they, by your own admission, clearly state there is some initial expense first.

Remember: ads are designed to draw customers in the store and have disclaimers in the back which mention things like sales tax (of course, some things are just up to common sense too). They're not a democratic process which will change just because one customer thinks it should. How are they skirting the law? They might be highlighting a certain dollar amount as a marketing ploy, but they, by your own admission, clearly state there is some initial expense first.

But....if I'm understanding this law, that is precisely the reason for the new law! To keep retailers from promoting a FREE item that you really have to pay for and then send in MIR. I understand it that the store is supposed to give you the rebate on the spot, making your out of pocket -0-, for that free item. Then the store sends in the MIR. The article says it is to keep stores from hoping the consumer doesn't send the MIR in and the store keeps the money.

That's my interpretation of it anyway. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will ;) ) LOL!!

I just wanted to say I really don't understand the new law. I myself am a Rhode Islander and remember when this first started Shaws in Pawt ran an add for "Free Pepsi" after rebate and ended up giving it Free at the register. Hello to my fellow Rhode Islander.

Lisa

Not sure about RI law, but it seems that I've seen a lot of Ads like that. Right or wrong, I have learned to not get my hopes up till I read the fine print.

What do you want done? Get the item free? Have Sears commit to writing ads differently? An apology for your wife? Curious.

if ACE is following the law then Sears should regardless if they only have two stores in RI.

Local stores have no say whatsoever in what goes in national print ads. I'm confused why you think this store could change it. It's not like the manager goes to Kinko's every week and mails them himself.

yes but, the problem is the word "FREE" it can not be on the ad from what i understand

intial cost is not nothing its 50 bucks. thats how they are skirting the law.

No other ads for Rhode island say free, they all folow ace's ad type.

Remember: ads are designed to draw customers in the store and have disclaimers in the back which mention things like sales tax (of course, some things are just up to common sense too). They're not a democratic process which will change just because one customer thinks it should.

not really understand why so much sarcasm. i think everyone on this forum knows

the manager doesn't print the ad's.

as far as they will nto change. it only takes one consumer to call the AG's office

and file a complaint. now imagine if the RHODE ISLAND residents on this forum

call the AG and ask the same question why does sears do it but not others.

It only takes one person to start a revolution.

I also remember when Stop and Shop had the same thing as Shaw's where they had to give away free soda because their ad was worded wrong. Why not Sears? You do have a point and should contact someone. I would be offended by the comment and tell whoever you get in contact with about the salesperson. An apology or some type of reprimand should be given. I had a job that dealt with the public and if you can't handle dealing with people, then don't work in that type of job, or keep your comments to yourself. If you don't get anyone to respond from Sears call or email Channel 10 ? or the news station that covers those issues. They always draw attention to it and get things resolved. Although I am a Rhode Island, I usually shop at the Sears in Attleboro because it is closer. That extra 25 minutes is too far to drive. (typical rhode islander) Good luck.

I know for BF I went to Warwick Mall to go to JCPenny's instead of Attleboro because all the rebates were instant in RI and CT, as far as I remember, the ad clearly stated MIR, instant rebate in RI and CT. Let me know the item that you were interested in, I am 2 minutes from the other Sears in RI, and I know a couple of people that work there. I'll try to find out what the deal is.

I know for BF I went to Warwick Mall to go to JCPenny's instead of Attleboro because all the rebates were instant in RI and CT, as far as I remember, the ad clearly stated MIR, instant rebate in RI and CT. Let me know the item that you were interested in, I am 2 minutes from the other Sears in RI, and I know a couple of people that work there. I'll try to find out what the deal is.

hi ,

it was in their saturday door buster ad from 9-12.

its the Free xm samsung portable radio mp3 player. I have made four attempts

to contact the store manager, he does not or will nto return the calls.

Guest RealLivePrinces

not really understand why so much sarcasm. i think everyone on this forum knows

the manager doesn't print the ad's.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I'm genuinely confused why you keep going back to a local store over a national issue. The law you believe applicable may be in Rhode Island, but ads are printed nationwide and managed, or contracted out, by corporate.

Ads are also printed months in advance, so there is also the possibility that the ad in question was simply printed before the law went into effect. :confused:

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I'm genuinely confused why you keep going back to a local store over a national issue. The law you believe applicable may be in Rhode Island, but ads are printed nationwide and managed, or contracted out, by corporate.

Ads are also printed months in advance, so there is also the possibility that the ad in question was simply printed before the law went into effect. :confused:

never said i kept going back, i left him messages and he doesn't respond.

the law went into effect 2006. :eyepoppin

never said i kept going back, i left him messages and he doesn't respond.

the law went into effect 2006. :eyepoppin

the store manager can't do anything. you have to contact sears at a corporate level.

i think most of the confusion is that in every state except RI, ads that are worded as the sears ad are perfectly acceptable and most people understand it as free AFTER MIR. that's the way i interpreted it. since RI has a law that states if it is advertised as free but only after MIR, the store is required to give the rebate right then and there. you can contact the store to see if you can still get the item, but you'd have a MUCH better shot at it if you contact their corporate offices.

was the ad one you picked up in the store/in the paper or online in general without entering your zipcode? that could make a difference if they have a regional ad that was not meant for your state.

you can also file with the attorney general's office. since RI is a small state, they'll probably get around to it much quicker than other states.

i also fixed your link in the first post.

the store manager can't do anything. you have to contact sears at a corporate level.

i think most of the confusion is that in every state except RI, ads that are worded as the sears ad are perfectly acceptable and most people understand it as free AFTER MIR. that's the way i interpreted it. since RI has a law that states if it is advertised as free but only after MIR, the store is required to give the rebate right then and there. you can contact the store to see if you can still get the item, but you'd have a MUCH better shot at it if you contact their corporate offices.

was the ad one you picked up in the store/in the paper or online in general without entering your zipcode? that could make a difference if they have a regional ad that was not meant for your state.

you can also file with the attorney general's office. since RI is a small state, they'll probably get around to it much quicker than other states.

i also fixed your link in the first post.

thanks

the ad came in the Providence journal

Guest macedon1001
I agree that this should be reported. The law does not state the penalty for not abiding by it but you are right in not having to pay the full amount minus the advertisd rebate in RI.

I agree that this should be reported. The law does not state the penalty for not abiding by it but you are right in not having to pay the full amount minus the advertisd rebate in RI.

when you file a complaint with the AG's office they ask what out come

you would like.

I filled in the form every consumer that paid the 50 should be compensated for the

skirting of the law. they should also investigate how many other times Sears did this.

I only noticed this one because I love my XM radio.

perhaps a class action alw suit.

I nolonger deal with Sears. :no: I believe I spoke about some of my terrible experiences with them in the Sears thread for Christmas. My last contact with them for a problem never even generated ANY response from them what-so-ever. :mad:

Yes, Sears has been around a long time, so has politicians. :rolleyes: They doesn't mean they got better with age. Sears has been in business for years, but their customer service has been lacking for a long time. They've changed, and IMO are nolonger a good company to do business with.

I do not know of RI laws, though I have family there. ;) I do hope you get somewhere with Sears, but I wouldn't hold my breath!:tired:

Do you have any idea how long the AG office takes to resolve complaints of this nature?

I second the idea kaysamlyss mentioned earlier to contact your local news station so they can do one of those "On Your Side" type of stories. The ones I've seen always contact the local store AND corporate. In addition, the consumer (i.e. you) gets their issue resolved, and the local public is made aware of the situation with that merchant.

Good luck and keep us posted. (I have no idea why this story interests me - I'm not in RI, and if I purchase an item with a MIR, I almost always fail to send it in!)

I live in RI and remember when this law was put into place.. but sadly, I always forget about it. It should have been free. Im sure many corporate offices dont realize this when they are putting out the ads, and probably the store employees in the RI Mall Sears dont realize it either. Did you call corporate and if I'm too late with this what was the outcome?

I was going to ask if that act actually passed, but apparently it has based on the replies here. The store manager should be reprimanded for his manner of talking. Personally, I'd go right back in there with a printout, in front of a whole bunch of customers, and say something like, "You have a lot of nerve telling my wife she doesn't know the law. YOU are in violation of RI Act### blah blah blah and I expect an apology for my wife, as well as for you to comply with the laws of this state. If not, I'll be contacting the Attorney General's office." I would then proceed to call the AG's office, anyway. If that law was, in fact, passed, then they are in violation. I can't tolerate stupid people who have the gall to talk down to others. He has no business speaking to your wife that way. Additionally, I'd be on the phone to the district manager asap. This guy needs to learn how to treat customers. BS.

so the item is retail $79.99? (50.00 mail in rebate and 29.99 instant savings)

It is true corporate is responsible for ads well in advance - but their legal dept is responsible for complying with the State laws where they are based, as well as where they do business.

My quick interpetation is that had you bought the item during the doorbuster time - you should have received the item with no money changing hands. Other wise they seem to have violated the law (http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/billtext06/housetext06/h6720.pdf). I'd have bought it, and called the State's attorney Generals office from my cell phone when they asked for $$$ :)

Do you have any idea how long the AG office takes to resolve complaints of this nature?

I would guess one phone call would handle it. By making it a doorbuster on saturday (outside office hours) they make it more complicated - but not by much.

One call or letter from a States Attorney General will likely produce a quick response.

I would guess one phone call would handle it. By making it a doorbuster on saturday (outside office hours) they make it more complicated - but not by much.

One call or letter from a States Attorney General will likely produce a quick response.

here's the funny part my office is in the same building as the ag's office.

I'll try and go and talk to some guys or gals and see whats up.

I was going to ask if that act actually passed, but apparently it has based on the replies here. The store manager should be reprimanded for his manner of talking. Personally, I'd go right back in there with a printout, in front of a whole bunch of customers, and say something like, "You have a lot of nerve telling my wife she doesn't know the law. YOU are in violation of RI Act### blah blah blah and I expect an apology for my wife, as well as for you to comply with the laws of this state. If not, I'll be contacting the Attorney General's office." I would then proceed to call the AG's office, anyway. If that law was, in fact, passed, then they are in violation. I can't tolerate stupid people who have the gall to talk down to others. He has no business speaking to your wife that way. Additionally, I'd be on the phone to the district manager asap. This guy needs to learn how to treat customers. BS.

i really want to grab chris by his neck and slam his head into the counter.

Then tell him no one speaks to my wife like that, for god sakes i live with the woman and i can't :)

I have left another message with the manager he doesn't call back.

i'm not able to get the dm's number or his name for that matter i've been trying.

My question is, regarding this law, how do they stop people from going in several times, or people from the same family, and just getting all these 'rebate' items for free? It's not like they are 'cases of soda,' this is an expensive item.

I can see why they (meaning companies) have the mail in rebates, because customers would actually have to put out the cash first.

That said, I wish we had this law in Florida, I rarely do rebates, just because it is a PITA!!