Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2008

Gator Pam

You don't get a lunch? That isn't legal. Unless you are a teacher or something and can't leave the premises. But they have to give you a lunch break.

i am in indiana and i have called the labor board (i was pregnant and not getting a break for 8-10 hours) and they said that unless it is a minor that there is nothing they can do!! no laws to protect adults at all :no:

Fianlly got my Dyson. :D

I bought the display DC14. Scanned at 50% off then I asked if they would take additional off for the display model. They tried to check avail. at the register but it did not work. A nice girl asked if I minded going to the service desk to check. Sure enough last one. She called housewares & asked if they gave markdowns on displays & they told her 33%. She asked me if that was ok!!!! She took an additional 33% off of the 225 clearance price! reg price $459 paid $153.75 + tx I was smiling all the way home!!!! I just have to figure out how to get the warranty.:2wiggle::2wiggle::2wiggle::2wiggle:

I found this black and decker can opener/jar opener today- it was a bottom clearance shelf tagged $ 27.98- but on the bottom of the box was the $ 9.98 sticker reg. price $ 39.99:

http://www.target.com/Black-Decker-Lids-Off-Open-Center/dp/B000BHIG80/qid=1203139848/ref=br_1_7/601-7506316-1188925?ie=UTF8&node=13033421&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=target&field-browse=13033421&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=4

Edited by Plegeraz
typo

I was in Target today and I got this bed in bag for $29.99 ( Twin ) My DD picked it out along with some added throw pillows with beading for $4.50

http://www.target.com/Contemporary-Home-Bed-Bag-Pink/dp/B000KHTHVG/qid=1203138388/ref=br_1_1/602-6498193-5025469?ie=UTF8&node=161264011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

Awesome deal on the bedding set! I never had anything that nice when I was a kid!

i am in indiana and i have called the labor board (i was pregnant and not getting a break for 8-10 hours) and they said that unless it is a minor that there is nothing they can do!! no laws to protect adults at all :no:

wow - that stinks!

more state-by-state variations I guess that seem hard to explain! Even when I was working for a measly $4 an hour doing surveys in the mall, they MADE us take a lunch and one or two 15 minute breaks, as is required. I believe the rule says for every 8 hour shift you have to have 1 half hour break and 1 15 minute break, but don't quote me on that.. Or maybe it isn't really a "law" but a guideline?? I work for the federal govt now so of course they do follow it. I am dumbfounded as to how IN can get away with what they told you, but since the advent of internet message boards this is far from the first time my eyes have been opened as to how different states do things very differently (legally speaking) in all aspects of life...

Edited by cokemeyer

No...Never for any of the stores I frequent...I wouldnt go for 30% off...I would definitely wait...

I agree. I guess my store is weird then! :) I remember stashing a costume I wanted deep within the rack when it was at 30% so I could try to get it when they went lower. Or perhaps it was a signage mistake that day and I should have scanned the items anyway because maybe they really were 50% and not 30?? Before joining this board I would never have thought to do that but now I would!!

OK, regarding the Target popcorn/drink combo: didn't we all agree that it was $1 for both? All of a sudden I see a huge sign with a photo go up at our cafe saying that the popcorn/small drink combo is $2. Oh no!! Inflation rears its nasty head again, threatening to stunt my deal hunting! :)

Sorry for the long post. :gdsorry:

I faired pretty well yesterday.

I didn't get the Margarator for 75% off. I figured I would miss out since I wasn't able to get to the Target first thing in the AM like I had wanted. Oh well, wasn't meant to be.

I did get a bunch of Valentine's Day items. My DD starts school in August and I probably bought enough Valentine's for her to give out for a few years. lol At $1 a box, I thought it was worth stocking up. I found a cute T-Shirt for her to wear next year. This woman was not letting anyone look at the T's and the VDay towels, etc. She totally blocked that section. She seemed a little annoyed when I started reaching over her (I did say excuse me...lol). She had put a T-Shirt down that I had wanted. She must've seen me looking at it to check the size and she snatched it back up. Ohhhh, I wanted to :gdgirlfight3ol:. I felt a little naughty because I kept thinking if she puts that shirt down, I'm taking it! :evilb: And this sounds bad but I would've taken it not only because I wanted it but also because she was being rude. (I feel like I'm going to confession right now...lol)

There was another nice lady looking at the pocket puppy things. I had only found one but she had found 3 and 2 that were different from the ones that I had. She was sweet and shared with me. :gdthankyou: to her if she's on this board (even if she's not).

I also got some misc. VDay towels and stuff. I found a cute set of washcloths for my daughter's bathroom. I'll keep them on the sink for her to use instead of my hand towels. :g_doh: Do any other kiddos do this or just mine??? There are other washcloths available but she seems to always want to use the hand towels. Anyway, she was excited that her washcloths to wash her face and hands have hearts on them. Maybe this will resolve the issue.

I was only able to stop at one other Target as I had my DD without a nap and my great-niece with me (taking care of her this weekend). Not to mention is was cold and rainy.

The second stop was worth the trip. I found two of the VDay Play-Doh sets. I'll split one package up between daughter, Goddaughter and niece. The other I will save for VDay for my daughter's kindergarten class. (I'm thinking it'll last as long as it all stays sealed?? Any opinions??) Between the BF sales at Target, the after Christmas sales and Target and this, my daughter has enough PD until she graduates college. :) I did buy some other misc. VDay items. My dog is set with chewies for awhile and the kitties will like their new VDay balls. :)

I did hit the mother load with the Dirt Devil items (one of the things for which I was on a hunt yesterday). The Target closet to me had the Broom Vacs and the Kurv hand helds regular price when I was in there the day before. I decided I was going to buy one regardless (even at regular price) and then see if they had any left when they finally put them on clearance. They had moved them to a clearance endcap. I thought oh cool, I'll at least I'll get it for 30% off. I am happy to report that they went from regular price to 75% off!!!!!!! (They were not ticketed....just set on the end cap). I bought the broom vac AND the Kurv....each were $12.48. :2woot::2woot: I bought a set for my friend and broom vac for my nephew as well. There were a few left so I told a few ladies (after I loaded up my cart, of course) that were in the area. They were pretty happy that I shared the deal. It made me feel good to help out other ladies (even though I didn't tell them until after I had picked out what I wanted :rolleyes:.)

I'm still on the hunt for the LPS Valentine's Day (I'll have to check the toy section). I would like to get a Margarator but I can live if I don't. Maybe it'll be like the roaster and I'll find it down the road.

Edited by afrey66
fixed typos

I agree. I guess my store is weird then! :) I remember stashing a costume I wanted deep within the rack when it was at 30% so I could try to get it when they went lower. Or perhaps it was a signage mistake that day and I should have scanned the items anyway because maybe they really were 50% and not 30?? Before joining this board I would never have thought to do that but now I would!!

When I read your first post I figured they must of put up the wrong % signs. I believe holiday markdowns are made from corporate so it would be the same everywhere. It probably would of scanned at 50% off :yup:

GB is 50% in MA. Dyson's were also 50% off today. They had about 8 DC07 ($199) and a few DC14. I picked up a DC14 for $229. Picture frames, lamps, ledges, also 75% off. Dirt Devel Broom Vac and Dirt Devil Kurv 75% off.

What came in your Dyson box. Is there a powerhead attachment? Thanks. FYI scanned the Kurv still 50% here.

Just got back from Target. There Valentines section was kinda borderline, not a whole lot left but I think there will still be some good stuff when it hits 75% off. I bought the stuff I really wanted now and it I can get some more when it hits 75 that will just be icing on the cake. Didn't find too much else, I got a couple of girls Valentines shirts for $2.50 (can't even tell they're valentines), a bunch of womens gloves for $0.34, womens knit hats for $0.74 and a superbowl snack holder football for $4.98. It seems the last few weeks have really sucked for Clearance finds. For those of you who have been doing this a long time, is it just the time of year? Will we start seeing some awesome deals anytime soon?

Does GB hit 75%? If so, when does that usually happen? Also, I have noticed that the outdoor firebowls have been on clearance awhile now, but I really want the outdoor heater. They are still full price, anybody ever noticed if they go clearance? Is it much later in the season? Thanks! :)

Does GB hit 75%? If so, when does that usually happen?

Usually yes. It depends on how much has been sold.

Seems as if GB went 30% and 50% earlier this year so it is hard to guess when it will go 75%. And all stores do not change percentage at the same time as others. So much depends on sales in the individual stores.

Best thing to do is to watch the thread and then check out your store.

Okay so explain perusing to me. Everytime I go to a Target, I never see these great deals. Do you just keep picking up things you like and scan them in hopes they are on sale, or do you look for the clearance signs, or what? Please explain your methods to us newbies to perusing!

If you didn't read the first post of this thread, that will help answer your question.

But as it states, it does depend so much on the individual stores. Some mark down quicker, some mark down after others do.

The easiest thing I have found is to visit your local Target at least once a week. I found that when I go on different days, I found different stuff. Since I cannot always go every day of the week, I found the day I am most happy with and I go on that day almost every week. I rarely scan items. Deals can be found by signs in main aisles but most leftover items are on the ends of each aisle. I rarely walk down aisles. I walk down the ends of the aisles and look down the aisles to see if there are any red clearance signs/stickers/markdown areas. If I have time, I will walk any aisle that has stuff I really like. Currently, I am extremely interested in some bedding. I know that eventually it will be marked down. So at least once a month, I check it out to ensure it is on the shelf hanging out at regular price.

The reason people speak of scanning is because sometimes the scan/markdown team misses items. So just because it never hurts, if you see something you really want and hope it is marked down, scan it to see what price it will ring up.

Most Target Junkies will visit many stores. I have noticed that the store I find the most deals in is the one that I am closest in proximity to and thus have the chance to visit more often and know the way it works. And I have figured out things as I have gone along. For example, just recently, I was watching for some new air fresheners that were supposed to be shipping. When I was in one Target, they had marked down some of the old air fresheners to make way for the new. Yet my closest Target did not mark down the air fresheners for at least 3 weeks after I saw the exact same ones marked down in another.

So...if people post, it doesn't mean you will find it in your store. But if it is something you are interested in, you can look for it. Realize however, that people in your area may be reading this thread too so once something is posted, it has a higher likelihood of being sold out.

As with all things, you have to know what you are willing to pay for something and what you are willing to let go because it isn't the right price. I recently bought some GB items for 30% off because I wanted them and I didn't want them to be gone. When GB went down to 50%, I went back to purchase more items that at 50%, I was willing to pay. However, there are still items that I would purchase for 75% but am willing and completely understand that by waiting, I could easily lose them.

Just recently I lost the chance to get the little frigs. I watched them sit at 30% forever. Then they went to 50% and I stared at them. However I decided to wait. Whether they went to 75% and sold or they salvaged them, I have no idea...but they were completely gone and I missed them.

Hope that helps. But please do read the first post. It helps greatly.

When I read your first post I figured they must of put up the wrong % signs. I believe holiday markdowns are made from corporate so it would be the same everywhere. It probably would of scanned at 50% off :yup:

My store frequently has up the wrong clearance signs, so that make sense. Often they'll still have the 30% off signs up for stuff that has already gone to 75%. I just never paid a whole lot of attention to it before...

(then again, since the fine print on those clearance signs says "or more" or something like that, maybe they just use them on purpose that way...hmm....)

Edited by cokemeyer

I just want to say that this thread is awesome!!

Anyone know how often the baby stuff goes on clearance? I know the dept generally gets marked down on Mondays, but how often is their BIG baby sale? I got some stuff during the late Jan one. :o)

I just want to say that this thread is awesome!!

Anyone know how often the baby stuff goes on clearance? I know the dept generally gets marked down on Mondays, but how often is their BIG baby sale? I got some stuff during the late Jan one. :o)

January and June are the the 2 bigger baby clearances I believe. :)

Has anyone is the Columbus, OH area seen the Valentine Potato Head anywhere? I did find the Ponyville tube and 1 of the LPS, but no Potato Head anywhere.

they have Valentine ponies on sale? Must have missed that post! My son, yes, son has been getting in trouble at preschool lately for fighting over, of all things, the ponies. Probably since it might be the one and only toy we do not actually own in our home, lol! I'd love to score a cheap set if I could and use them as a reward for him improving his behavior with them at school! :) Do you have the DPCI?