Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2008

Gator Pam

I've heard throught the grapevine that Target takes their clearanced out leftovers and donates them to the GoodWill-can't be for the tax right off??:) Anyways I've also read on other forums the people that cruise Target each and every day hunting down perimeter clearanced items, that the same people also peruse through the GoodWill store on a weekly basis hunting down Target clearanced items. And I think I have a deal addiction??

I am a thrift store shopper and I used to have a GREAT Goodwill near my house. I'd find Target clearance at that store all the time. But, as most people discover, Goodwill always seems to markup the Target prices. You'd see an orange clearance sticker on the package and Goodwill would post their price next to that tag and it would almost ALWAYS be more.

I heard this is true for most Goodwills across the country.

The younger ones in our family have bdays the end of the year too. But I am always afraid to buy items now because I don't know what they will be "into" then. It was okay when they were tots but now that they are tweens it is almost impossible to buy ahead.

Do you ever find yourself with items you thought they would like and then need to buy something else? I did this a couple years ago and gave the toys to Toys for Tots. So now I wait until the end of summer before I start looking for deals.

I completely agree and that has happened to me too. It's a little easier cause I have 2 other little ones that I can just save the toys for if my older one isn't interested. I use some things I buy for Easter too.

I rarely (probably never) buy toys at full price, but now I suppose I will be forced to as my kiddos get older. Sometimes I get so frustrated when I see all the toys around the house, but then I tell myself that when you buy things at 75% off (for like $5-10), and they play with them for just a little while, who cares!? It's not really a waste because I'll probably be able to sell them on a garage sale and at a minimum get a few bucks back, which makes the toy even cheaper.

When I think about how much money gets "wasted" on so many other things like eating out or going to a movie where we easily drop $50-75 on something that is just entertainment for the moment, kids' toys are sort of like that in a way-- entertainment for the moment. If I can get them cheap, I'm not as worried if they break or the kids lose interest.

My husband tells me that I must not have had any toys as a child given how much "fun" I have buying them for our kids. :) I wasn't deprived growing up, but there is definitely more available for kids now.

There only little for such a short time. Hopefully I'm not spoiling the heck outta them. :(

ohh i have three boys... 16, 8,4 i now am findind that my 8 yr doesnt want the small things only the big things so now im left with one to buy all the cheep toys for.. and for birthdays .. so soon it will end for me.. 16 yr well all he wants is money dickies and that is it so he is easy to boy for lol

Did anyone else get the Baby Alive twins ?? The boy and girl ... I was wondering if anyone has opened them yet...I am saving them for dd's birthday but am dying to know how they are !!! LOL

We paid full price for ours! My girls had a ton of fun with them for about a week! THey have now moved on to other toys and haven't picked it up since-then again, they got way too much to start with! They are cute though!

I noticed that the bookshelves are on sale this week. I am in desperate need of about 3 to 4 bookshelves. Has anyone bought these before? Did/do you like them? My finace is moving in soon and he has TONS of books from him physics classes. I am going to move all my books from my parents houses that I used for my major (secondary math education).

Oh - I need to go look - I need bookshelves to store all my toys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to target and got the scrubbing bubbles shower cleaner for $13.00 plus 2 refills for $5.00. Both on sale this week in the target flyer ($18.00 for the cleaner and 2 for $7 on the refills) and this weekend's paper had a coupon for $5.00 off the shower cleaner and $2.00 off 2 refills. I also found a backpack dora chair that came up "item not found" had a clearance sticker of 9.98 but I knew it had gone down cheaper than that, so I took it off and got the chair for $3.50. I would have never known what to do if an item came up not found until I joined this site. THANKS!!:)

Today at Target I purchased:

10 Sobe Life Waters (10 .50 sobe coupons)

1 Electrasol PowerTab 2.66 (2.25 electrasol mfr. coupon)

Schick Quatro Gift set w/ mp3 speakers 5.94 ($4 Schick mfr. ladies razor coupon)

Ziploc Big Bags 3.38 ($1 ziploc mfr. coupon)

Paid using 1 of 2 $5 GC rec'd from Glade Flameless Candle deal last month.

OOP $5.35 and $5 GC rec'd for purchasing 10 sobes

The toy clearance aisle was picked over - not much there. There are lots of Glade holiday scents around, Trio, Automatic Spray, candle, etc., if you can find a coupon to go with them.

OT: Today I learned that it makes more sense for me to buy the 2 pack of newspapers - list price $2 at a discount grocery store (10% off newpapers and magazines) = $1.86 for 2 papers, instead of paying the regular price for 1 paper - $1.50 + tax at a gas station or drugstore. An additional set of coupons for about .20.

Another Yonkers girl here too -- spent many shopping days in central avenue caldors!

Too funny! Yonkers has changed so much since I was a kid. Everytime I go back to visit my Dad I feel like there is a new shopping plaza that I never saw before. Are you still in NY? Where are you shopping now??:)

I just got back from spending the day at Target. I got a popcorn popper (the old-fashioned type) for $8 and a bunch of toys for 75% off! I was surprised when I got there to see 2 rows completely empty and only about a half a row left half full. Luckily, I still found some great deals! Wish I had gotten there earlier!!!

By the way, I found a can of cookies that had Elmo on them left over from the Christmas stuff and I checked the price and it came up at $0 so I got excited. Too bad when I got to checkout she said that it should have already been pulled and that I could not buy it. I even offered $0.10 and she refused! Oh well....

Last night I went to a different Target than I usually go to and thought I got lucky when I found the Winnie the Pooh baby's first Christmas blanket since I had already got the Pooh Christmas Outfit, thought it would make a nice gift, but when I got to the register and it came up item not found the cashier was like does 9.99 sound right? I said it's Christmas and he said it doesn't say holiday on it and I said it says Baby's First Christmas on the blanket and he acted annoyed and said well you're not going to get it for 90% off, and he threw it under the register. I was so mad!! Then I went to Old Navy and made myself feel better.

I got very luck today! I found the last one of the little tikes work benches for $25 originally $100! My DS will love it for his birthday next month.

I found this too! The Arnold MO store had 3 up on the back shelves above the board games. I didnt even know these went 75 off I wanted to buy it for my son for Christmas but there was no way I was paying that much for one! My DS2 has been having fun with it all afternoon.

:) What has anyone else gotten good deals on that weren't toys? I got Spongebob & Hello Kitty spin tooth brush & tooth paste sets for $2.24 75% off! Just wondering WHAT ELSE I NEED TO BE LOOKING FOR! I must be missing somethig!!! I FEEL A LITTLE LONELY :( IN FLORIDA JUST NORTH OF TAMPA IT SEEMS NOONE ELSE IS ON HERE FROM MY AREA !! I Hope to find someone to pursue this area w/ on hear ~there are plenty of Target stores around 3 within 20 minutes from me, so I won't take your bargin! :fluffy: ALEXUSRYDER I love seeing what you have to say, but still seems like your quite far away!I never make it to Tampa or Lakeland :fluffy: My friends think i am nuts going to Target all the time & buying all this stuff~ I really think they are just jealous sometimes!!

My daughter goes to the University of south Florida and we go to Tampa to visit her all the time. Can you tell me where the Target with the best clearance is?? Thanks!

Did anyone get the little beauty set for dolls - it has a mirror, and then pretend miniture blow dryer, lotions, rollers, etc....they can be used on the American Girl Dolls or the Generation Dolls?

I found one today and it didn't have any tags on it, I remeber seeing it clearanced at another store so they sold it to me for $2.50 - was wondering what the real price of it was? Thanks!

I found this too! The Arnold MO store had 3 up on the back shelves above the board games. I didnt even know these went 75 off I wanted to buy it for my son for Christmas but there was no way I was paying that much for one! My DS2 has been having fun with it all afternoon.

I bought this today too. DS2 has been playing with it all afternnoon. Crazy amount of batteries, and kind of po'd that the flash light takes the weird batteries.

Did anyone get the little beauty set for dolls - it has a mirror, and then pretend miniture blow dryer, lotions, rollers, etc....they can be used on the American Girl Dolls or the Generation Dolls?

I found one today and it didn't have any tags on it, I remeber seeing it clearanced at another store so they sold it to me for $2.50 - was wondering what the real price of it was? Thanks!

I bought this for my daughter before Christmas (one of those random clearance items at only one of my three Target stores) for $3.24 and I think that was 75% off. I think the regular price is $14.99 so good deal.

My daughter loved it by the way:yup: I have another hiding in the garage for a birthday gift for some lucky friend...:blush:

Too funny! Yonkers has changed so much since I was a kid. Everytime I go back to visit my Dad I feel like there is a new shopping plaza that I never saw before. Are you still in NY? Where are you shopping now??:)

I wonder if we've all crossed paths at one point or another. I used to work at the Ground Round too. Just in case you were wondering, I was the nice cs girl at Caldor.;)

Watchung, NJ shoppers, I just got back and came back with just a furnace filter. The 75% toys were mostly gone but there was still 1/2 an aisle of toys at 30% and 50%. Very frustrating! I have my eye on some Transformer trucks that are only at 30%.

Kids Flannel sheet sets are 15% off and I found some perfume sets at 30%. Paris Hilton, J-Lo, Britney Spears.

Huggies Christmas Wipes were still full price.

Came home empty handed but lots of potential.

I bought this for my daughter before Christmas (one of those random clearance items at only one of my three Target stores) for $3.24 and I think that was 75% off. I think the regular price is $14.99 so good deal.

My daughter loved it by the way:yup: I have another hiding in the garage for a birthday gift for some lucky friend...:blush:

I got one too and yes, the $3.24 was 75% off. My store had a bunch of them but only one that didn't have some of the accessories missing. I felt so excited to find that since I found an Our Generation doll set last week at 50% off... :)

:cheesy: LOL I can so imagine that "deer in headlights" look. They don't understand it, but at least your DH doesn't question it. But I think you rock! I've tried telling my friends and none of them understand either. At the end of the day, ppl think I'm rich when I give out nice presents, but I actually shop throughout the year to get cool gifts at great prices. I think all GD'ers deserve a round of applause for all the savings thus far this New Year 2008!:g_clap:

So true!! People look at us too when we walk in with the "best" and most expensive present at the party!! But I usually pay far less than anyone else does. Makes my kids look like the hero at their little friends parties!! :tongue1: DS5 just had his birthday party at our local movie theatre. I had picked up some small paper popcorn boxes from Target .87 for 8 or 10. Ended up filling them with little pink wallets (Wal-mart 90% off clearance) and American girl glitter spray (BBW 75% off clearance) and some treats for the girls. And the boys got hot wheels (never clearance but .97) and a card game and some treats. What a great alternative to the "grab bag" they take home. The popcorn boxes from Target made me look like I really knew what I was doing. LOL....The parents were impressed!! :D On a side note I also put individual serving sizes of the new Pringles mini chips. Gosh they are so cute....look like regular Pringles but are about the size of a quarter. The kids loved them! :cheesy:

I was able to find one of the Black & Decker power washers today for 39.98. Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone have the yellow Dyson they have started marking down. It's just 15% at my store but I'll be watching for lower. I just wondered how it compared to some of the other models.

So true!! People look at us too when we walk in with the "best" and most expensive present at the party!! But I usually pay far less than anyone else does. Makes my kids look like the hero at their little friends parties!! :tongue1: DS5 just had his birthday party at our local movie theatre. I had picked up some small paper popcorn boxes from Target .87 for 8 or 10. Ended up filling them with little pink wallets (Wal-mart 90% off clearance) and American girl glitter spray (BBW 75% off clearance) and some treats for the girls. And the boys got hot wheels (never clearance but .97) and a card game and some treats. What a great alternative to the "grab bag" they take home. The popcorn boxes from Target made me look like I really knew what I was doing. LOL....The parents were impressed!! :D On a side note I also put individual serving sizes of the new Pringles mini chips. Gosh they are so cute....look like regular Pringles but are about the size of a quarter. The kids loved them! :cheesy:

Those are GREAT ideas for party favors. I am always looking for different favors rather than the standard cheapo party toys and candy that are in most favor bags. I pride myself in always giving out awesome party favors so I can always use new ideas.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Those are GREAT ideas for party favors. I am always looking for different favors rather than the standard cheapo party toys and candy that are in most favor bags. I pride myself in always giving out awesome party favors so I can always use new ideas.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Me too! My friends think I'm crazy for all the time and effort I put into that kind of stuff...but they are always impressed and when they need ideas, they always call!! It's just kind of my thing. I like to do it and the kids love to help!! :D We also made homemade chocolate dipped pretzel rods. We were at a gourmet candy shoppe a couple of weeks ago, and the kids saw these pretzel rods. We have made them before at home just for ourselves but the ones we saw were really neat. They were of course dipped in chocolate about half way up and then rolled in mini M&M's. They looked so fun and yummy. :gdlicklips: I had gotten about 2 thousand (no kidding:D) small cello bags about a year ago and they fit in them perfectly. They were also a big hit. Quite professional looking if I do say so myself!!! I love the Target stationary isle for neat clearance stuff and then always get ideas to go on from there!! :D

My daughter noticed these on an end cap when I was there on Friday... I have a bakery and do hand decorated cookies, so I bought all of them. I will put in cookies that look like a box of popcorn, a movie camera, a "take one" etc. Then parents buy them as an alternative to just a loot bag. They might opt to just put in one cookie each and add some of there own goodies, but they are a great idea. Thought I was the only one that would be excited about those.. LOL

My daughter noticed these on an end cap when I was there on Friday... I have a bakery and do hand decorated cookies, so I bought all of them. I will put in cookies that look like a box of popcorn, a movie camera, a "take one" etc. Then parents buy them as an alternative to just a loot bag. They might opt to just put in one cookie each and add some of there own goodies, but they are a great idea. Thought I was the only one that would be excited about those.. LOL

OMG, those will be so cute when you get them done!! :D Like I always say "if Target doesn't have it, I don't need it" !!!!!! You never know what you are going to find!! You will have to post a pic when you get them done! I have seen other companies that make decorator cookies and they are works of art....I so admire you for being able to create such masterpieces!! I buy the Toll House, from cardboard to oven!!! Or I stick to cupcakes for the kids classes...they look much more professional when I cover them with interesting colorful shaped sprinkles!!! :rolleyes: I am a floral designer though, so I do know the work and thought process that goes in these things!:yup:

I am really excited about my purchases tonight! I went to a different Target and to my surprise I found a Barbie throne. It was on the bottom of a return cart. I snagged it up! Then I found one of the Jeopardy DVD games. I was eyeing this before Christmas but refused to pay $50 or $60 for it. I got it for $14.98. I figures all the toys would be gone so I was thrilled to find these:)

We were at a gourmet candy shoppe a couple of weeks ago, and the kids saw these pretzel rods. We have made them before at home just for ourselves but the ones we saw were really neat. They were of course dipped in chocolate about half way up and then rolled in mini M&M's. They looked so fun and yummy.

We had a Clifford B-Day party for DD last March. I found red chocolate melts (wm valentine's clearance) and dipped pretzel rods to make "little red puppy tails". The kids loved them!

Now I need to catch valentine dollar spot clearance to stock up for this year's party favors. So far I have Hello Kitty pens, but I need more stuff.:razz:

You all will let me know when to go, right?

We had a Clifford B-Day party for DD last March. I found red chocolate melts (wm valentine's clearance) and dipped pretzel rods to make "little red puppy tails". The kids loved them!

Now I need to catch valentine dollar spot clearance to stock up for this year's party favors. So far I have Hello Kitty pens, but I need more stuff.:razz:

You all will let me know when to go, right?

LOL! That is what I do, too! I have one DS bday in March, and the other in April. I usually stock up on the little things from the clearance stuff to do the favors. I almost always get a few wind-up toys each holiday and generally have enough by the end. And I get the holiday candy to use. Works out great!

I was with a local friend. She's more noticeable because she is VERY tall and thin. Are you Asian, and did you come with your mother? I saw someone wearing black at the Lake store who might have been you. She had at least one overflowing basket and talked to some other customer like they knew each other. I kept listening to people to try to determine if anyone was talking like they knew what was going on so that maybe they were the GD people. It was pretty crazy though!

Burbank marked theirs the same day, but there wasn't much left by the time I got there. I did pick up a RoboPanda for my friend (which she thankfully picked up yesterday - those things are huge!). I found a few odds and ends (Playmobil) that weren't marked for some reason, and was able to find a markdown guy to fix that. Alhambra finally marked theirs Friday afternoon, but there wasn't much left. They left a lot of stuff unmarked, too. Not sure if they just missed it, or if they did on purpose. I wouldn't bother going unless I were already in the area.

Did you get your Robo Panda? I almost bought two to offer you one, but they were so big I didn't have a place to keep it till I heard back. Hope you got yours.

i am not asian ,i amhispanic,and i was with my mil who had 2 huge shopping carts full @ both stores ! lol! Were you wearing a peach shirt ? Thank you so much for thinking of me :) my mom got 1 for me @ the covina store ! :) and guess whatisaw them at toys r us today for 169.99 !!