Target Return

I was wondering if anyone knew if they will return something that has been opened. I bought my DS a Roboraptor for his birthday. We took it out of the box and it seems that there is a problem with the controller and it wont work. I have put it back in the box and taped it, but I am worried that they will not take it back. Does anyone know if they will exchange this for one that works?? My DS is sooooo upset! HELP!!

Do you still have the receipt or did you pay with a credit card if not? If you have a receipt and it's been in the last 90 days that you made the purchase, they should let you exchange it. No receipt, they can look it up via credit card (if you paid that way, of course) and still exchange it. They generally push an exchange if the item has a problem and discourage a full refund.

I have a receipt and paid with Debit. I just wanted to make sure that they would take it since we opened the box. I dont return things much and am sooo worried about it since my son was so upset. I bought it on Black Friday. I hope they take it and have a replacement in the store. Thanks for replying!

I have a receipt and paid with Debit. I just wanted to make sure that they would take it since we opened the box. I dont return things much and am sooo worried about it since my son was so upset. I bought it on Black Friday. I hope they take it and have a replacement in the store. Thanks for replying!

There *should* be no problem at all. Just let them know that it doesn't work so that they can destroy it.

I second the post above. I've NEVER had any issues returning things to Target. Especially when there has been an issue of something not working properly.

You might even give them a call & explain the situation prior to going just to be sure. There really shouldn't be a problem.

If there was a NO OPEN rule on the toy, it would have noted that on the receipt. That is typically only for DVD's etc and still with those, you can exchange them if broken for the exact same thing.

As long as it is within 90 days, it should be quite easy.

I didnt know that they put the "no open" on the receipt. If that's the case, then I am hoping that this will be ok. I probably wont be able to take it in until Saturday. I will let everyone know if it goes smoothly.

Thanks so much.. you guys have really made me feel better about this!!!

I didnt know that they put the "no open" on the receipt. If that's the case, then I am hoping that this will be ok. I probably wont be able to take it in until Saturday. I will let everyone know if it goes smoothly.

also, make sure when you open boxes, be extra sensitive and remember how everything is or was..

this way, you are guaranteed they would take it... i had this CS once @ target and she wouldnt take my item for exchange... i had to talk to the manager and have the CS fired.

If you buy a DVD or a computer game from Target, it says some blah blah blah stuff about same item only if opened...because they don't want people using/copying the item and returning for a refund.

Otherwise, the general return policy is in effect, which is 90 days.

I have gotten MANY items from target that the item that was supposed to be in the package wasn't right or it was missing pieces. I have never had them even open anything I have returned to check. They usually ask "Is there anything wrong with it?" I assume they ask so they know where to put it (back on the shelf or a damage pile).

Also receipt lookup works if you paid by check also.

They won't give you a hard time. Even without a receipt and paid by cash they use your drivers license to track your returns without reciept. I had to return some meat that was bad...OMG It was SSSOO BAD...even though it was the "Laura's Brand" and you could see it was still in date, she still took my DL to put it int he computer since I didn't have my reciept (I pay cash for groceries)...THE SMELL WAS OVERPOWERING since she had to open it to scan it. IT WAS BADDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

I have gotten MANY items from target that the item that was supposed to be in the package wasn't right or it was missing pieces. I have never had them even open anything I have returned to check. They usually ask "Is there anything wrong with it?" I assume they ask so they know where to put it (back on the shelf or a damage pile).

Also receipt lookup works if you paid by check also.

They won't give you a hard time. Even without a receipt and paid by cash they use your drivers license to track your returns without reciept. I had to return some meat that was bad...OMG It was SSSOO BAD...even though it was the "Laura's Brand" and you could see it was still in date, she still took my DL to put it int he computer since I didn't have my reciept (I pay cash for groceries)...THE SMELL WAS OVERPOWERING since she had to open it to scan it. IT WAS BADDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Last night I tried to return a Smart Cycle because I was able to get one at Kohl's for $55thanks to someone who posted that deal. I have had the cycle since November but couldn't find the receipt. I paid $99 but they are $89. OK $10 loss but I figured they would give me a gift card and I could finish up my shopping at Target. Surprise, surprise...if your item is over $20 and you have no receipt and paid cash you are SOL! So I walked out of Target ticked and with the cycle!!! Now I have two!!!!

Last night I tried to return a Smart Cycle because I was able to get one at Kohl's for $55thanks to someone who posted that deal. I have had the cycle since November but couldn't find the receipt. I paid $99 but they are $89. OK $10 loss but I figured they would give me a gift card and I could finish up my shopping at Target. Surprise, surprise...if your item is over $20 and you have no receipt and paid cash you are SOL! So I walked out of Target ticked and with the cycle!!! Now I have two!!!!

This new return policy started in August. It's unfortunate that a few scammers had to ruin it for everyone but the policy IS posted at the guest service desk, at the registers, and on the back of your receipts. Like I said, it's unfortunate but it's certainly not Target's fault.

This new return policy started in August. It's unfortunate that a few scammers had to ruin it for everyone but the policy IS posted at the guest service desk, at the registers, and on the back of your receipts. Like I said, it's unfortunate but it's certainly not Target's fault.

And I applaud Target for posting that policy so well also. That is one thing I HATE about Wal-Mart. They don't have any date on their receipts and no policy. If you want to see the policy you need to go to guest services which is total crud. I had no idea Wal-Mart even had a 90 day policy until I went in on day 100 to make a return once I finally got my mom's receipt from her for gifts to my kids. I even told the manager when I had to call him that "Target posts dates and policies on their receipts"!

i don't think you will have a problem. I bought a TMX elmo the right after Christmas and saved it until Valentine's Day to give to my daughter. then when we gave it to her it didn;t work right. I was worried they wouldn;t take it back because I bought it in December, but I had the receipt and they took it back no problem.

I LOVE the Target receipt lookup. I always save all my receipts...but it seems I can never find the one I need. That has saved me a few times. Kohls does receipt lookup also, if you paid with a credit card then they can look it up. I just found out about the new policy

($25.00 max) when a lady in front of me was trying to return a game and she said it was $27.00 so they were unable to return it. I always use my Target card so I can earn my 10% off days, so I always know how I paid there.

Looks like you could sell it on Ebay for about what you paid...include free overnight shipping and do a 1 day auction...Check out completed auctions, they are selling them for between 120-150 AND $30-$40 shipping.

I buy everything at Target on a credit card. I love the fact that they will look it up for me when I can't find the receipt. And since I have a picky teeny bopper living here (DD is 13) it makes life easier. I've even got DH to buy it on the credit card at Target. Old Navy did a look up for me recently as well....

I bought ds5 a xmas dvd the first part of Nov from Target and it didn't work. We live about 45minutes to an hour away from the nearest Target (depending on traffic) so it was a couple weeks before I was able to make it there to exchange it. But when I did go, it was a very easy exchange! They asked if anything was wrong with it,if I wanted to get another one, and I got the dvd and was on my way in less than 5 minutes. I did have my receipt though.

Thanks everyone! I took it back yesterday. Very easy!!! I told her that the roboraptor didnt work, she said she didnt think that they had any more of them. I asked if she could check for me, and they DID have one!!!! They exchanged it for me no problem at all!! My DS is happy again!! Thanks again!

I have never ever ever had luck returning anything to target. I always loose receipts, ha. Well yes they will let you exchange without a receipt if you use your drivers license, but you can only do that I think twice a year. The last time I tried was when they had school uniforms on sale, I picked some up......of course they did not fit, so I just wanted to exchange them for the correct size........NOPE, they would not let me do it. I paid in cash, did not have my receipt and had already used up my exchange allowance without receipts for the year. Everytime it happens I swear I will never shop there again, but I always do.

I do vow one thing and that is when I create my wedding registries for my October 2008 wedding......I will NOT create one at Target.

I have never ever ever had luck returning anything to target. I always loose receipts, ha. Well yes they will let you exchange without a receipt if you use your drivers license, but you can only do that I think twice a year. The last time I tried was when they had school uniforms on sale, I picked some up......of course they did not fit, so I just wanted to exchange them for the correct size........NOPE, they would not let me do it. I paid in cash, did not have my receipt and had already used up my exchange allowance without receipts for the year. Everytime it happens I swear I will never shop there again,

I do vow one thing and that is when I create my wedding registries for my October 2008 wedding......I will NOT create one at Target.

I have had so many of these types of problems w/ target, along w/ the rude CS department. I have stopped shopping there except a very rare bargin here or there on stuff that is not able to be missing pieces/scratched dvd/wrong size type of thing. Otherwise I have managed to avoid them for normal shopping for almost 9 months now. That new policy as of August just solidified my resolve.