The Grinch or Old Navy--you decide

Here's a copy of what I sent them after i got home. Geez, and then after I checked, they never even entered the 20% off code I gave them....:yuck::mad::mad: Will let you all know how corporate responds....not holding my breath!

:no:

Today, I shopped at the Folsom, California (6151) store with my two daughters and son. We had driven 50 miles from our home to specifically shop at your store for an outfit for their Christmas play. When we walked into the store, there were LARGE signs stating that all outerwear was 50% off. With that in mind, I gave my daughters a price range and told them that they were free to choose witin that range. They both picked a vest that had a zipper with toggle buttons and a fleece pile non-detachable hood. The signs all around this display clearly stated that ALL outerwear was 50% off. Further, there were numerous other jackets and vests under this sign. We put two vests in the cart and then proceeded to find appropriate long sleeve shirts. After we were done, my 5 year old son found a hat and a pair of gloves that had another large sign that said 2 for $10, and clearly stated that you must buy two items for that price to be honored.

When we reached the register, we placed our items on the table and watched while the clerk rang them up. First, she rang the hat and gloves and they both rang up at full price. When I questioned the price, I was told that the discount price only applied if you bought two of the same items, so I would need to purchase either two gloves or two hats. Furthermore, the hat rang up at $9.50 and even though it was the same style and size as the other toddler hats, it was not $7.50. She further stated that the 2 for price was for identical items and that applied no matter which item it was, to get the sales price I needed to buy either two hats or two pairs of gloves, not one of each. I do not get that. First of all, why must I buy two pairs of the same gloves? Does this mean that you expect parents to buy two hats and two gloves at a time? Why does not your sign CLEARLY state that the price only applies for hats or gloves, not a combination. You even mark them with the same price tags, and group them together. A reasonable person with reasonable intelligence could not fail to think that the items were in the same sales category. Since I had not budgeted to spend $17 for a hat and gloves, I had to choose and had a very unhappy, gloveless 5 year old.

Next, the vests were rung up and they rang at full price. The cashier then informed me that vests were not outerwear and that the 50% did not apply. Are you all serious? When I asked for an explanation, she told me that corporate considers them to be year round clothing and not outerwear. She also proceeded to tell me that these items could be even worn in the summer. I politely noted that the only place that these could be worn as summer clothing would be somewhere near the Artic Circle. She said that she would be happy to wear this in the summer. I guess she is unaware that summer here means 110+ degree temperatures. I also was a little frustrated with her flip attitude. Now, I had two more unhappy children with no outfits for their play. The clerk decided that the sign above them stating $20 would be the sales price and that the computer hadn't been updated and so she marked them down to $20.00. I paid my $68.55 and left the store, spending $20 more then I should have based on your own signs, and leaving a pair of gloves behind.

When I got home, I called up several of the other moms in our group and questioned them about the definition of outerwear, not one agreed with your clerk. Around here, people wear vests as outerwear with a sweater for most of the winter. They are not considered indoor wear! And the fact that the vests had a piled-hood convinced them even more so. The little fact about the two identical item rule cemented their minds that Old Navy is not a family friendly place in this economy.

The result? I called your store manager and even she agreed that the vests were outerwear but told me that only corporate could change that and suggested I call and email you. She had no answer about the two gloves or two hats rule. Based on my experience, I can only determine that Old Navy is more interested in false and misleading advertising then honoring displayed prices. As far as I am concerned, your store will not be getting my business anymore. I have been buying clothing for my children for over 10 years at your stores, at times driving over an hour and a half to the nearest store. No longer will I waste my time and money at your establishments. The other moms in my group have also agreed that Old Navy is no longer worth the long drive to shop for overpriced clothing and deceptive advertising practices. I will be forwarding this letter to other concerned parties who are better able to regulate these type of business practices.

Sincerely Yours,

I agree with you. I think of vests as outerwear as well.

I did Wiki them and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vest The two pictured on the right I don't consider outerwear (esp the one on top).

But wait! On ON's site, see this: http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?pid=524214002&userSearchText=vest&searchCID=26519&vid=1 A VEST listed under OUTERWEAR!

MORE vests listed under OUTERWEAR: http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=29916&pid=526465&scid=526465012 (http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/category.do?cid=29916)

More vests ... listed under.. surprise! outerwear: http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/category.do?cid=5448

Now, the ON vests that I saw I do consider outerwear. They are simply sleeveless jackets/coats.

(ETA: This vest on ON I do *not* consider outerwear: http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=26519&pid=527039&scid=527039002&vid=-1)

I have to say- what a ridiculous thing for them to say- I am not a vest person, but we live here in Colorado- yes we get snow and cold winters- and if you go to any ski resort pretty much in the whole state you will see people wearing the vests as "outerwear". And for them to say people wear them in the summer is just ridiculous....

I consider certain kinds of vests to be outerwear too. It seems like ON doesn't even consider some of their coats to be outerwear either from me and my mom's shopping experience there a few weeks ago. At that time the signs read 40% off of ALL outerwear, my mom found a coat she liked, and it rang up full price. She told the cashier about the sign right above the rack this coat was on, and the cashier said this one is not included in the sale. My mom didn't feel like messing with it so just left and went shopping elsewhere.

Let us know if/when you get a response!

I plan on calling their office today as well. What really gets me is that if they tell me to go back to the store, that's a few dollars in gas that's out of pocket as well......this could have been handled right then and there but the store "manager" sounded like she was all of 18!!! lol

Sorry you had so many problems. I usually have no difficulty with them and they seem ready to help. I even had a clerk looking everywhere behind the CS desk for a returned cream colored vest (outerwear) this weekend. Ours were priced at $15.00 (no hood though - these were the doorbuster deals). I hope they respond to you favorably. They certainly should.

Wow, you really had everything go wrong at the store. I can't believe that she forgot about the 20%.

It seems like the last few times I've been to Old Navy, I will pick something up directly undera sale sign. When they ring it up, it's at full price. They then tell me that only certain items are eligible for the sale. Then they need to place the sign in the proper place. It's all very misleading.

I plan on calling their office today as well. What really gets me is that if they tell me to go back to the store, that's a few dollars in gas that's out of pocket as well......this could have been handled right then and there but the store "manager" sounded like she was all of 18!!! lol

If you call corporate/office, mention to them how far of a drive it is to the Old Navy store. Ask them if they would instead let you place the order with them over the phone. Or if they are willing to reimburse you the gas it costs to get there and back. Or give you an additional percentage off for all of your troubles and poor customer service. It never hurts to ask, the worse they will say is no. Make sure if they do take your order over the phone, that you tell them what day you MUST have those vests by so they can wear them on at the play.

Good luck!

If you call corporate/office, mention to them how far of a drive it is to the Old Navy store. Ask them if they would instead let you place the order with them over the phone. Or if they are willing to reimburse you the gas it costs to get there and back. Or give you an additional percentage off for all of your troubles and poor customer service. It never hurts to ask, the worse they will say is no. Make sure if they do take your order over the phone, that you tell them what day you MUST have those vests by so they can wear them on at the play.

Good luck!

I wrote corporate ON once awhile back about how messy the store near me was - everything on the floors, not the shelves, workers just standing around doing nothing. I told them that they really needed to check into the environment in that particular store because I would not be going back there, that I would have to go to another one in our town because that particular store really stressed me trying to find anything, and that I walked out without purchasing because I couldn't find anything. The corporate office sent me an email apologizing and told me they would be sending me a giftcard in the mail for my inconvenience. They sent me $10, and the next time I went back to the store (a couple months later), the store was clean again. IMO, corporate listens.

This is the reply I received late this afternoon. Guess I will call in the morning and let y'all know the result...thanks for all the info!!

Dear Randie and Robert,

Thank you for your e-mail. We are sorry to hear of your disappointing

Old Navy shopping experience at our Folsom location. We try very hard

to hire and train friendly, courteous, and helpful employees so your

shopping experience is fun and easy, and we hope that every visit to our

stores is characterized by professional and efficient service.

If you would like to speak with us further regarding this matter, please

contact our Customer Relations department at 1-800-OLD-NAVY, option 4,

option 1 and then option 2. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.

to 9 p.m., Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Sunday, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

ET.

Sincerely,

Melissa

Customer Service Consultant

I bet they will rectifiy the situation. I've had issues in the past with my store not wanting to refund the price difference on purchases made prior to their big Jan/June clearance. My purchases were within the 7 day(or whatever) guidelines that they have posted on all their registers, but the store said corporate told them not do give a refund during the sale. I left the store furious and went home and called corporate. The young lady on the phone told me to go right back to the store and tell them they had better refund the $$$ and to call corporate if they had any question. I was in and out of that store so fast with my money that it was extremely funny. I think the manager was shaking. LOL! They also sent me a $10 Giftcard for my troubles and told me to call them if I have any more troubles. They tried to do it again in June 07, but I again told the cashier what corporate said and they immediately gave me a price difference on my previous purchase.

I had a problem with ON a couple years ago (can't remember what it was about now) but customer service was very nice over the phone. They rectified the situation and I was happy. Then a couple days later I received a $10.00 gift card in the mail. Didn't even know it was coming... hope everything gets cleared up for you!

Okay, the final update. called corporate and they had no explanation for any of it, only that they were sorry, but wouldn;t refund the outerware difference. They said that as far as they knew, the sale was for 30% and only on selected jackets. i pointed out that the signs were plastered all over the store and had to come from corporate, but got no where.

After 20 minutes of being transferred up the corporate chain, I finally got a person who apologized and then said she would send me a $20 gift card. I politely explained to her that I would still be short $15, and she said sorry, but no go.

I then immediately called up the ON store, ended up talking to another manager who said, no prob, just stop by today and I will refund the difference. Since DH was heading down that way for a meeting, he stopped in and we received the $16.72!!! Woo hoo....