How should I wrap a gift card?

alimfp

We're giving BIL a gift card to Lowe's as he's doing a LOT of upgrades around his house.

I want to "wrap" the gift card in a fun manner. So he won't know what it is before opening it, of course. I thought about including my kids help somehow, but I am unsure how exactly?

Any ideas??

take a tissue box the tall sqaure one .. put like 5.00 in ones taped and attach to each other and as he pulls the tissue out he will pull the money then the card last.

That is CUTE I might have to do that. With my DH's youngest Stepbrother(16) we always buy him the girl giftcards like Disney Princess or whatever THEN to make matters worse we wrap it in one of DD's girl toy boxes from her bday...or a girls shoe box..He knows by now what is up but we still do it.

I have never been with him when he has to go to the register with his Princess giftcard but for some reason DH thinks it is hilarious...poor kid!:o

Wow, thank you all so much. DH and I are deciding how much to make the GC - and then I may split it up into as many $5 ones as possible.. I think we'll do the nesting boxes idea, maybe buy a tool to go with the last gift card in the smallest box or something. :)

My friend asked me to look up a few ideas for her a few days ago, and these were my two favorites.

Put the gift card in the middle of a jar of pennies, feel free to glue it shut to make things harder for the recipient. ;)

Another one that I thought was cute, but would work easier with gift certificates rather than cards is to put it into a balloon. Then you make a balloon bouquet, putting the one with the gift certificate in the middle of them. Attach the balloons to a wrapped box (possibly use the nesting idea) and only include a straight sewing pin with a little note instructing them to pop the balloons. :)

Also, since it's a gift card for Lowe's (my mom would be jealous), you could always get an inexpensive toolbox and put the gift card in it or maybe buy a luggage tag holder thing and put the gift card in it, then attach it to the handle of the toolbox. I really like the tool belt idea that LonghornMomma suggested. :)

Random story that the nesting idea made me think of, and of course, I wanted to share: A few years back my uncle bought my aunt a very, very expensive bracelet for Christmas. He decided the nesting idea would be fun, but he decided to add a bit of a twist to it. Inside each box, he also included other random stuff, such as a piece of firewood, a rock, and the most hilarious one: a pair of "dirty" underwear. Of course, they were actually clean, and now I don't remember exactly what he did to them, but he made them look "stained." The entire time he was going on about how he couldn't find time to go shopping with his work schedule, but he wanted her to have something to open on Christmas, but would go out soon after and buy her something better. Until then though, he decided to get her practical things (firewood for their wood stove, a rock to help with the stepping stone sidewalk they were making, etc). She actually believed him at the time, at least until she got to the underwear. Everyone got a huge kick out of the entire thing though. :P Sorry for rambling, just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone was a little twisted and wanted to do the same. :g_laughin

About 10 years ago, my friend gave me a gas certificate (before gift cards). She handed me this really heavy package, and when I opened it it was like a cement compound or something. I couldn't fathom what I would do with it--then I saw the certificate. Funny, I was really wondering what it was before I opened it--being that heavy.

We did this for my brother on year... everyone thought it was cute.

~buy a helium balloon ( about 2 days before you give it)

~attach the giftcard to the string, near the top about 3 inches below the balloon (NOT at the bottom of string)

~ get a box big enough for the balloon to fit inside and seal box shut

~ wrap the box

~ once the person opens it, the balloon will float out and the gift card will be floating in front of their face...LOL

:D

We do this when giving event tickets... everybody loves the Balloon gift..LOL

That is CUTE I might have to do that. With my DH's youngest Stepbrother(16) we always buy him the girl giftcards like Disney Princess or whatever THEN to make matters worse we wrap it in one of DD's girl toy boxes from her bday...or a girls shoe box..He knows by now what is up but we still do it.

I have never been with him when he has to go to the register with his Princess giftcard but for some reason DH thinks it is hilarious...poor kid!:o

My DH and his brothers and uncles(7-10yr age difference) do this with each other too. It was really bad when they would give the paper gift certificates, they would always write something obscene on it. :cheesy:

There are all kinds of cute things on the christmas section aisles now just for that purpose.

My mom is giving my brother and his wife $ this year, and she bought really cute little bags about 4-5 inches tall at Bath & Body Works that had ribbon handles and pink & red peppermint glitter candies on them. They were $1.00 each, and are really cute. That way it still sort of feel like a "present".