$199 PC vs $229 Laptop

hailiesdaddy200

I had my mind set on the PC. I've been needing a new computer for a while... i have an 3 year old emachines and ever since i upgraded to vista it can't play videos that well. I'm not a gamer at all, i just need a computer for my media and the web... i have over 100gigs of movies and music. But a 229 Laptop is hard to pass on... is the 199$ pc good for media? will it be able to handle my media with no problem? or would i be beter off with the laptop

I had my mind set on the PC. I've been needing a new computer for a while... i have an 3 year old emachines and ever since i upgraded to vista it can't play videos that well. I'm not a gamer at all, i just need a computer for my media and the web... i have over 100gigs of movies and music. But a 229 Laptop is hard to pass on... is the 199$ pc good for media? will it be able to handle my media with no problem? or would i be beter off with the laptop

I think it all depends on what you really need. If you need mobility well there's no doubt you should get the laptop, but if you want it for home use only, you should get the pc, since it has more RAM and Hard Drive too. They both have double layer DVD writers, so it will be easy to make your backups. For the media i think you should go for the PC or make an upgrade on the Laptop to a 1gb RAM at least. Like I said, it all depends on your needs of mobility and how much you're willing to spend on upgrades.

If you do get a laptop, get the $399 Sony instead of the $229 Toshiba if you can afford it. It's superior across the board and well worth the extra few dollars. The Toshiba is nearly obsolete already so unless money is extremely tight I would spend a few extra dollars more for the Sony. Afterall if you're looking to upgrade why buy the absolute slowest and cheapest computer currently available? $399 for a quality laptop is still a great deal...

-Timothy

If I go to Best Buy 9 AM on Friday am I pretty much guaranteed NOT to get the $229 laptop? Would I have to start standing in line on Thanksgiving?

Since you've been a member of these boards for over a year, and have 100+ posts, I think it's safe to say that you're joking :cheesy:.

-Timothy

Guest CS.Dean
The store I am going to has 29 of the $229 laptops in stock ( I checked there about 2 pm today). I have decided that when I get it I can jack up the RAM rather cheap and it will do everything I want it to do.

either bb or circuit city has laptop 1G memory cards for 24.99, so weigh your odds at buying a memory card or paying the extra because it has 1G in it. think the memory card is kingston I only have 512 memory in a hp zx5000 and installed vista over xp and I have no problems at all. download a whole movie in about 5 minutes, burning takes a bit longer, but dont let people sway you becuase of the 1G, 2G, of course it is better,

you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that 1G is bigger than 512mb, like i said, weigh your options buying the memory card.

hey....my hubby is 4th in line to get the $199 and $299 computers. that is all we can afford....should we spend the extra $$ and get the memory upgades....i think $25 and $49 apiece?

also i know nothing about computers....can my son get an adaptor to hook his PS2 to the desktop????

thx