anyone know anything about tools?

cassgurlie04

When I sold cars, A LOT of the mechanics bought from the Snap-On truck that would come around (kinda like the ice cream truck, LOL). But Snap-On tools are ultra-expensive as far as I can tell.

Since he is using these for work, I would strongly recommend Craftsman (from Sears). They come with a lifetime warranty on all hand tools. If he manages to break a socket, or whatever, he can just take it to the nearest store for free replacement. No receipt needed. I've done this three times, once for a screwdriver and twice for a measuring tape.

But you might want to talk to one of his coworkers to see what your DH needs -- I am assuming that he already has some tools and you don't want to buy something he already has...

Sears ad for BF is here: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=82464

And stay away from stuff from Harbor Freight. While their tools are OK for a hobbyist or occasional use, that Chinese steel will not last for the kind of use your husband would put them through.

Lowe's has their own in-house brand called Kobalt, and Home Depot has Husky. I'm not sure what their warranties though.

He might take some ribbing from the other mechanics with Kobalt or Husky though... Snap-On or Craftsman, they're safe bets! Just my http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Things/twocents.gif.

yea he has numerous tools and he does by from Snap-on and Matco at work but he had scanned over a few ads and was telling me about some stuff but nothing specific like what ad he saw it in or what brand it was, just the fact that oh i saw some screwdrivers that i might like. That didnt help me one bit cause i dont wanna ask him what ad or what brand it was because then he will know im gonna get it for him......... BUT as for asking his coworkers thats a great idea, thanks:cheesy:

Snap On Tool guys are pretty independent sales people. They may, MAY be able to get you some sort of deal. And I believe they stand behind their tools completely also.

yeah i know my husbands tools are fully warrantied through snap on and matco.............. as for deals through them thats another good idea i didnt think off, i know what days the tool trucks stop by so ill just drop in when my husbands not working :smirk: :smirk: :yup: :yup:

yeah i know my husbands tools are fully warrantied through snap on and matco.............. as for deals through them thats another good idea i didnt think off, i know what days the tool trucks stop by so ill just drop in when my husbands not working :smirk: :smirk: :yup: :yup:

snap-on also has gift certificates that you could get him so he could get what he needs also my husband buys some used tools from them that people didnt pay on that got repoed..hope this helps

yea he has numerous tools and he does by from Snap-on and Matco at work but he had scanned over a few ads and was telling me about some stuff but nothing specific like what ad he saw it in or what brand it was, just the fact that oh i saw some screwdrivers that i might like. That didnt help me one bit cause i dont wanna ask him what ad or what brand it was because then he will know im gonna get it for him......... BUT as for asking his coworkers thats a great idea, thanks:cheesy:

Is it possible that the stuff he saw in the ads and liked were ones he wanted specifically because they're cheap?? My dad does construction and misc. other handyman type things, and while he has certain brands/types of tools he prefers for on-the-job work, he also gets some cheaper-made stuff when he can find it for a really good price. He'd prefer to leave those cheaper ones in the garage for smaller, around the house jobs-- and because it hurts a lot less to have a $5 socket set "grow legs and walk away" than a $50+ set ("borrowed" by a relative or neighbor):rolleyes::(!!

And I know you don't want to ask him specifically what ad or what brand, but there are ways around that-- I've done this with my dad for YEARS, and he still hasn't caught on, LOL..............

When nothing else is going on and it's been a fairly slow day, casually "remember" ;) to ask:

"Hey honey, Sue told me today said her husband really needs some new screwdrivers, but she's clueless on what's good and what's not... I told her about Snap-on and Matco, but they're having some money problems and can't afford that right now. Which ones was it that you liked in those ads the other day? Well, would those be good for working with everyday, or are they more just for tinkering around the house? I just want to be able to explain it to her tomorrow, since I told her I would ask you about them tonight... That's a really good price on those; are all of the tools made by that brand pretty good? Because Barbara said she was buying her husband a new impact wrench, but this one here is almost half the price of what she was planning to buy......"

Am I bad or what?!?! :D

;) ;) :D :D :P :p :yup: :yup:

Here is my wisdom on tools. I buy them for my neighbor who I ask to fix just about everything. I pay close attention to him while working on whatever I broke this week & then I buy the brand that matches what he uses.He is pleased every year for Christmas & never has a clue how I knew he needed it.I always insist I'm learning so I can do it myself & he always has suggestions on what works the best.Of course I have no major plan of fixing most things myself but it has worked for 3 years now. I do attempt things but he finishes them because A) The curse words are disturbing him or B)He tires of watching me mess it up.lol

i'm a gm master tech and i can tell you that most on the tools our not all that good craftmans are ok but are not good there is a brand that lowes sell now which i belive is husky lifetime gaurentee what i can tell you is there made by stanley which stanley also owns mac tools which are good so the husky will be as good as mac sence there made from the same company. if you know what he is looking for let me know and i can send you to the right brand

just a thought work boots are on sale at sears both friday and sat. that's where i will be going 2 pair a year you can clam on you taxes

I have a core set of tools that are mostly craftsman and then a bunch of other tools I use every so often. Those tools are a mix of brand name I have found at yard sales, swap meets, etc, and ones I got from Harbor Freight. Many of their tools also have a lifetime warranty and they have never given me any hassle on those occasions when I had one to return. No receipt necessary, no questions, just "grab another one"!!