Another Walmart Warning Story

gymgirl975

Last year my mom and I hit up our Walmart at around 2:30 or 3:00 a.m. We really wanted the ten dollar Idog for my daughters. Anyway, we got there and I notice there are like 15 Idogs out on the regular aisle in toys. So, since they are just sitting there and not in plastic, we scooped two up. Then we covered them up with our jacket, just in case. ;) Anyway, while waiting in line we find out that there will only be ten or fifteen of the ten dollar Idogs for the whole store, and they are in a box in the middle aisle. I went back to the aisle where we had gotten them earlier and they were all cleared out. >:( There were tons of people waiting for the Idog that went home empty handed and they had had plenty, but just took them to the back.

When I tried to pay, it scanned 29.99 but I showed her the ad that said they were ten bucks and she gave it to me for that.

Sneaky jerks.

I work for Wal*Mart and countless times year after year this happens....Take the idogs for example....We already carry this item at a reg. price of 29.99, but when they decide to put something on sale for Black Friday they ship more of them in....LOOKING exactly like the ones of the shelf but they have a different upc #/barcode, so that the ones that are on the shelf are normal selling ones and then special black friday ones are featured somewhere else in the store...so its not that we are sneaky.....its just if you dont work in retail you really dont know the just of how they do it...just a little FYI for ya all.....if it is on the shelf ITS NOT THE ONE ON SALE....unless its later on in the day and they work into in the shelf if they have any left. Hope this helps

As Brad suggested in another thread, this year I think I'm gonna grab one of those big Rubbermaid containers first thing (way before the doorbuster stuff is opened up), the size that takes up basically the whole cart, and put all the stuff I'm buying down in there. That way, if I DO need to take my hands off of my cart for a millisecond or two, I can snap the top onto the container first and keep it all concealed! :D

Only the very brazen (or very clueless!) person would take time to open the container on the off chance of finding anything in it, let alone something they want! ;)

HTH!

DO NOT DO THAT!!!! Walmart is really really watching people right now...at least at my store they are....If they would see you doing that...BAM BUSTED!!! Just to let ya know...cause i dont wanna see anyone get arrested for something like that.

what I find funny is that the blitz items with different upc codes don't go to normal price after the blitz sale is over. I had bought one of the I-dogs last year for my niece only to find out my other niece wanted one too. It was the first week of december and I went to walmart and decided to just buy one at regular price, better than a fight breaking out on christmas. I got to where they were on the shelf and saw one in the black box which was the BF packaging, so I scanned it and it rang up $10. I also found a few of the cabbage patch dolls and the Little People playset and they all rang up at the bf price. I bought all of it to donate to the salvation army angel tree since the tree at work was still almost full of names. I wouldn't recomend waiting until after bf to get an item, but if you miss out on it you may check back periodically, I don't know if they were returns or if they just didn't sell but they were still there.

Yep! A few years ago I found one of the rock n play pianos a few days later and it still rung up $10 just like the ones I got during blitz. And at a different WM, year before last, the Little People and CP dolls still rung up sale price too long after blitz was over. I remember when I worked at WM and they had the Gamecubes that year, they stayed sale price until they sold out weeks later.

Some WM's take your ad when you pricematch, so if you need more than 1 item PM'ed be sure to have an ad for each item. I got caught out this way last year with the GBA advances-the worst part of this story is that I made a special trip to CC just for the ad and had 2 ads in hand and put one back! :eek:

As far as using the big tupperware container to store your BF loot - I thought you would only get in trouble if you past the registers and exited the store without paying for your stuff. Now, if your sticking items on your person then yeah I could see the store saying something about that. But having a container IN YOUR CART and having your items in that container that is still IN YOUR CART shouldn't be grounds for concealing merchandise. It certainly doesn't look like criminal intent to me. I heard WM's shoplifting procedures were pretty much cut and dry. You have to be seen concealing the merchandise, the person who saw you must not let you out of their sight at any given time, the merchandise must be over a certain dollar amount (like $30 or so) and you must exit the store without paying. all of that has to happen before they are allowed to stop you. It all boils down to less lawsuits against WM for unfounded detainment and searches.

Last year was the first for me. I have only gone to walmart maybe twice on BF, but we decided to go. We went there first and I got to tell you, I had more fun there than I did at any other store. The store manage came on the speaker around 4:30 and told everyone to be nice and courteous and that the sales would start at 5 but we were welcomed to shop around and find all the "goodies". My mom, sis and I were really surprised, because we have always had to deal with rushing people and crowds, but last year there weren't any and I got everything I wanted, sis got everything and mom got everything. Of course mom talked sis and I into buying that stupid Baby Alive for our DDs. But it was fun and at 10 minutes til 5 he told us to get ready. So we did and wow what a major difference.

I wish our manager was that nice, at 4:30 last year she was screaming to put everything back cause the sale hadn't started yet and that we were all ingratefull and next year she would make us stand outside in the cold. (last year was the first year they let us in early even though it is a 24 hour store)

I waited outside of a walmart store last year for 6 hours in 15 degree weather to get a computer. By the time I got inside I could hardly walk after standing and being cold. Some lady tried to run me down with her cart, I acutually kicked her cart and told her if she hit me again, her teeth were next. I finally made it back to electronics and the manager said they couldn't find the pallet with them on it. I asked what happened when they found them. They told me first come, first serve. I told him about waiting outside and that I would be quite mad if they put them out and someone who just got there got one. After 2 hours they couldn't find them still and substituted for me and another lady. After all that, someone picked up my two i-dogs out of my cart, I chased him down, tripped him and grabbed them back. My mom was right behind me...my brother's girlfriend watched our carts. Come that time I was in no mood to be messed with.

Carts are so hard to get sometimes on BF so I think I might grab one of those big rubber maid containers, with no lid...dont want them to think I'm trying to steal anything, and put all my items in that till I get to the check out line. Thanks for the great idea Hopeky94.

Either the year before last or two years ago WM had some games like candy land, monopoly, etc on sale on BF. Getting there prior to 5 am, we went around and tried to see what was in each black wrapped skid and also pick up things that were not the doorbusters so we could check out quick when the doorbusters were out. Well they had the same games on the regular shelves. We scanned them and they scanned at the BF price. A clerk saw them in my cart and tried to take them away from me. I told her I didn't think she would touch them as I got them from the regular isle and that merchandise was available for sale. I figured if she pushed the issue I would go checkout and put them in the car. Finally she asked a manager and I showed her where I got them and she said I could keep them. She radioed someone to remove them from the shelf... by the time he got there they were gone... others heard the exchange and they all got the ones they wanted to so they would have one less thing to fight over 45 min later...

I think it was the same year my sis needed a bike and everyone was pushing and shoving with carts and they were not getting anywhere so I slid between the skids and the shelving unit for bikes and got to the skid. Then picked up the one my sis needed, handed it to her from behind where I was and then got one for an older man that was waiting... just picked it up and stood there in a little hole holding it until the crowd got done fighting and walked away with it and gave it to the man. He was thrilled, my sis was happy, and a clerk slid into the hole and stood there with me and said I was smart to just stand there and be safe... lol.. I wasn't trying to be safe, I was being greedy.... LOL

Alot of the bf specials come in with special upc codes. That is why the items usually ring up a different price. Your best bet is maybe go to a scanner on the poles to check what they are goin to ring up. Another thing HELLOOO is bf everyone is going after the same things. Best solution is figure out what u really want, put it at the top of the list and work ur way down the list. Thats what i do.

DO NOT DO THAT!!!! Walmart is really really watching people right now...at least at my store they are....If they would see you doing that...BAM BUSTED!!! Just to let ya know...cause i dont wanna see anyone get arrested for something like that.

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard. I used to travel all over the country with my job & shopped many Walmarts in diff. states. Many times I'd use the rubbermaid containers & fill them with my other purchases, then clerk would ring them as I pulled them out,including the container. Heck, twice I even pushed a big suitcase around with the things I wanted to buy, then buy the suitcase too! I was never questioned or hassled at all. Guess I have an honest face. :>)

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard. I used to travel all over the country with my job & shopped many Walmarts in diff. states. Many times I'd use the rubbermaid containers & fill them with my other purchases, then clerk would ring them as I pulled them out,including the container. Heck, twice I even pushed a big suitcase around with the things I wanted to buy, then buy the suitcase too! I was never questioned or hassled at all. Guess I have an honest face. :>)

I think the issue is that they aren't necessarily going to buy the storage container....they just want to have their stuff in it so that they can snap the lid on and conceal their items from other shoppers that might try to help themselves to their cart.

Either way, walmart doesn't have anything great this way and I don't care if i found out about their sale items. I agree with other posters, how many years in a row do you need to buy a crock pot or a sandwich maker, etc.

LOL,the infamous Lady flips her wig story at our local WM :eyepoppin

Maybe they should put a limit on how many of a certain item one person can have. Im sorry but the posters saying they grabbed 10 or 15 of something annoys me :mad:

I never BF shop. Saving a few bucks is not worth fighting off rude people, standing in the freezing cold for hours to get caught in a stampde.

I waited outside of a walmart store last year for 6 hours in 15 degree weather to get a computer. By the time I got inside I could hardly walk after standing and being cold. Some lady tried to run me down with her cart, I acutually kicked her cart and told her if she hit me again, her teeth were next. I finally made it back to electronics and the manager said they couldn't find the pallet with them on it. I asked what happened when they found them. They told me first come, first serve. I told him about waiting outside and that I would be quite mad if they put them out and someone who just got there got one. After 2 hours they couldn't find them still and substituted for me and another lady. After all that, someone picked up my two i-dogs out of my cart, I chased him down, tripped him and grabbed them back. My mom was right behind me...my brother's girlfriend watched our carts. Come that time I was in no mood to be messed with.

That would get you arrested for assualt. :no: How sad you think violence is an answer!