BF Virgin

W. Gary

Hi,

This year will be my first time, a group of us are planning on camping out infront of Best Buy, looking for various ticket items. I've read some posts talking about security for line jumpers - which is great - but I'm curious as to how this will affect my groups ability for certain members to leave throughout the night for bathroom/food breaks.

Has anybody had an experience like this in the past? Should we expect problems if any of us try to leave and return?

I've found the forums very helpful so far and would appreciate any advice/opinions people can offer.

Thanks

W. Gary

Hi,

This year will be my first time, a group of us are planning on camping out infront of Best Buy, looking for various ticket items. I've read some posts talking about security for line jumpers - which is great - but I'm curious as to how this will affect my groups ability for certain members to leave throughout the night for bathroom/food breaks.

Has anybody had an experience like this in the past? Should we expect problems if any of us try to leave and return?

I've found the forums very helpful so far and would appreciate any advice/opinions people can offer.

Thanks

W. Gary

Welcome to the community! I am glad you are here.

I have a few tips for your group. First off I would all arrive togeather and set up camp. That way there will be no question about line jumping and such. When you get there I would try to make friends with the people in front of you and the people in back. That way when someone needs to go to the restroom then everyone would know the person leaving. When someone needs to leave for the restroom or a food run DO NOT go in groups and make it quick. One person at a time. Also you may want to let the people around you that you are going to the restroom or a food run. If you are going for a food run ask the people behind and in front of you if they need anything. That way it shows you care and you are being nice.

If you follow my tips then I think you should have no probelms. If you have any more questions please ask!

Good tips Bigjimslade. :)

And to add to that... definately stress to your friends, they can NOT show up an hour before doors open and expect to hop in your spot.

It WILL NOT go over well. Everyone's gotta camp out and be miserable together.

:2wiggle: JK, it could be fun, just bring some cards, a radio, and maybe a dvd player?

Thanks for the tips, sounds like if we're courteous, we shouldn't have any problems. Probably also a good idea to offer to hold spots for the people infront of/behind us if they need bathroom breaks too eh?

Yes. As long as you keep a good line of communication open, be nice and all arrive together then you will have no problems!

If you have anymore questions please ask!

Great tips.

I have to remember to point my sister towards this site. Last year was her first BF, but we kept it simple. This year she wants to go to BB, even after seeing the full parking lot last year before 4am.

I can not go to BB with her, but I want her to have all the tips she can get!

Thanks for the information!

I popped my cherry last year at bb. It was actually pretty fun, the people on line are all

pretty cool. Through the night you build trust and people were more then happy to

hold your place inline while you went to the bathroom or got some food.

I don't know where you're from but prepare for the weather. I did it somewhat last year, but

I could of done a better job. It was raining and cold..and I dressed up pretty warm and

had a rain poncho but I still got wet. This year regardless I'm bringing a small tent unless

the weather is for no rain and 60-70* in temps.

I will be dressing warm for sure. I'm from just East of Toronto actually but my better half lives and works in Ann Arbor. A couple of her friends lined up last year for the first time, so we're going to tag along this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome, & best of luck! I've had the best times on BF when I chatted with the people in line around me! For the most part people tend to be more than willing to keep your place while you take a quick break to use the restroom, etc - I've even seen strangers helping each other out by keeping their place (& telling off anyone trying to make something of it) for 10 or 15-minute breaks to sit in their cars when it was really, really cold!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw an idea in another BB thread that I've seen work in another context. Get there early and START A NUMBERED SIGN-IN LIST OF THE FIRST 100+ PEOPLE IN LINE. (Use a permanent ink pen; keep it inside your coat if the ink is freezing. Something to write on--clipboard or notebook--& extra sheets of paper are helpful. In fact, it might be a good idea to find an old-fashioned sheet of carbon paper to make a carbon copy of the list.) Don't be officious or authoritarian, & make sure everyone knows the list will be handed over to the BB employee. Present it (truthfully!) as a fair way to make sure those who waited the longest get the first tickets/bands. People who are willing to suffer for great deals are very willing to ensure their place in line!

As people arrive, go up to them & have them "sign in." It's a great way to start conversations & build comaraderie. Of course, offering to pick up food/hot drinks if you go out, or offering to go with a single person if the neighborhood is dodgy, boosts the group's goodwill too. I don't know how to handle situations where people have to stay in tents or vehicles to shelter from the weather--how do you really tell the difference between that & going home for several hours, if a dispute arises? Once you're sure the list includes more than enough people to buy all the doorbuster products have a second person keep the carbon copy, but keep adding to the original list.

Later on, when line-jumpers &/or "cut-ins" (as in, "I was holding a place in line for my cousin/neighbor/kid's 8 friends") arrive, go up to them and have the new arrivals sign in by the correct numbers. One would hope that seeing their names next to, say, #197 to #202 would discourage them, but if not, don't worry. Why take the risk of getting into a fight or even (whichforbid) prompting some crazed shooter? Beyond mentioning that the list will be given to the BB employee, don't even try to "enforce the rules." If some troublemakers try to destroy the list, let them! That's what the carbon copy is for.

This is where building a cohesive spirit among the first 100 in line (& keeping a carbon copy of the list with a second person) comes in handy. Since you are nearest the door, all of you start yelling out "Line up according to your place on the list!" when BB gets ready to hand out tickets/bands/whatever. Make sure the BB employee gets your list in his/her sweaty hands as soon as he/she ventures out. Explain that this list & your cooperation will PREVENT a stampede. If everyone around supports the idea, the employee will be very glad to fall in with the system!

The whole idea is to use group pressure to enforce order without singling out one person as an "enforcer" or a target for a possible sorehead. Besides, it really does make the whole process more pleasant & faster than just smashing forward willy-nilly like lemmings. As I said, I've seen this procedure work with a very emotional, high-stakes queue.