>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

why isn't it a good lens? what are some good lenses and what makes them good?

Kelly, the 75-300 is a great lens for the price as a beginner's lens. I got amazing color and sharpness when I had mine. Like all lenses, it just depends on the copy you get. I still have my 23-135 S and I think I got better color from my 75-300 than I did it. I also recommend the 50 1.8 for a low light portrait lens.

In what ways will the 75-300mm become useless? (I'm very much a beginner)

It doesn't have very large aperture openings which translates to smaller f-stop numbers which makes the lens "slower." All this means that you have to keep the shutter open longer or use a flash to capture as much light as you would with a faster lens. The better elnses will produce more detailed, lifelike pictures. Now, the EF lenses aren't horrible. It's not like you'll have bad results with them. But if you do plan on getting serious into photography, I guarantee you both will become unused.

But for a beginner whose primary picture taking will consist of her 2 young children, the 75-300 mm is a good lens? Does that make the BB deal a good one for me to get vs. ordering the camera from Amazon and the lens separately?

Does anyone think Amazon will offer a lower price on the camera come BF or CM?

Eh...maybe the "crowdedness" at BB on BF will determine which way I go!

It doesn't have very large aperture openings which translates to smaller f-stop numbers which makes the lens "slower." All this means that you have to keep the shutter open longer or use a flash to capture as much light as you would with a faster lens. The better elnses will produce more detailed, lifelike pictures. Now, the EF lenses aren't horrible. It's not like you'll have bad results with them. But if you do plan on getting serious into photography, I guarantee you both will become unused.

But it is perfectly acceptable for the average outdoor soccer game type shooter.

But for a beginner whose primary picture taking will consist of her 2 young children, the 75-300 mm is a good lens? Does that make the BB deal a good one for me to get vs. ordering the camera from Amazon and the lens separately?

It will be fine. It's a great everyday type lens. Zoo trips, trips to the park, things like that. I would go the Amazon route for the body. B&H has the 75-300 for about 150.00 right now.

I just sold mrn8 my extra 30D. He bought the 75-300 seperate. When he gets back, I"m sure he will give his opinion on it.

I do know Sears had a STEAL on the Rebel XT for like $385 with kit lens a month or so ago. So there are deals out there. I personally don't think the BB package, or any SLR package advertised is a good deal. I bet I could spend 5 min on the internet and find a cheaper price. I believe that BB package is just $50 off.

The 75-300 is a good lens still, and will work fine for you. Especially for outdoors. Indoors plays/programs, etc might not work so well. That's what the 50mm is for as long as you're ok with a fixed focal length. And if you do ever want to upgrade, selling a lens like that won't be hard.

Oh, and from the sounds of it, LonghornMomma has more background than I. I have little real world experience as I'm a newbie to SLR's myself. I'm just regurgitating all the info I've found.

LOL... I promise, I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't want to try to sell an everyday shooter on more lens than they need.

Kelly, my best advice is try out those lenses for a couple months, see what focal length range you find yourself shooting the most. If those lenses don't live up to your expectations, then sell those and move that cash to a faster lens in the range you use most.

I'm being literal. You have more experience, so I trust your judgement. :yup:

I heard from someone local that there are places that rent lenses. I plan on renting the ones I'm interested in once I decide to buy a big price lens. I figure there's only so mutch you can read, and a lot is personal preference as well.

I'm being literal. You have more experience, so I trust your judgement. :yup:

I heard from someone local that there are places that rent lenses. I plan on renting the ones I'm interested in once I decide to buy a big price lens. I figure there's only so mutch you can read, and a lot is personal preference as well.

True that. I've rented a few of my bigger lens purchases before buying.

The more I diligently read these posts to educate myself, the more confused I get. So are you saying to buy the body only for the Rebel or the body with the lens. I think I need a private camera tutor. Longhorn, how much do you charge?

LOL! I would totally get the body with the kit 18-55mm lens to begin with. Play with it for a while. If you want a longer distance and don't want to shell out a whole lot more, go for the 75-300. That will cover you for normal outdoor shooting like at the zoo, playground, soccer game stuff like that without flash. With onboard flash you can still get good shots inside in low light, but you may want to eventually but a hot shoe flash for greater control. Any lowlight night time shots, you are going to want a faster lens. Something with 2.8 aperture or higher, now by higher I mean a lower number. Crazy camera stuff. :P If you are just starting out and learning, you should be just fine with those. Just be prepared that when you want a higher quality lens with a faster aperture, you are going to be shelling out more than you paid for the camera most likely. Tommy suggested a lens earlier that I had overlooked even though it sits on one of my backup bodies all the time. The "thrifty fifty". It's an amazingly sharp lens with a very fast 1.8 aperture. A great portrait lens. Only downsides, it has a cheap build and a fixed focal range. In other words, foot zoom only. Coming in at under $70 though, it is well worth it. I really hope this helps some.

Thank you Tommy and Longhorn!

Longhorn - does the camera we've been discussing come with any type of flash at all? Also, if I get the body with kit lens at Amazon, I'll pay $500. Add the other lens from B&H for $150 and my total will now be $650. Why not shell out the extra $40 to buy it at BB and get the free bag, extra battery and that UV filter?

Eh...I guess I do have to consider sales tax...

Do you think the price of the camera will go down on Amazon or Buy.com come BF or CM?

Tommy - I wish I would have known about that Sears deal! That seems like an amazing price - I wonder if it will go down to that price again?

Thank you Tommy and Longhorn!

Longhorn - does the camera we've been discussing come with any type of flash at all? Also, if I get the body with kit lens at Amazon, I'll pay $500. Add the other lens from B&H for $150 and my total will now be $650. Why not shell out the extra $40 to buy it at BB and get the free bag, extra battery and that UV filter?

Eh...I guess I do have to consider sales tax...

Do you think the price of the camera will go down on Amazon or Buy.com come BF or CM?

Tommy - I wish I would have known about that Sears deal! That seems like an amazing price - I wonder if it will go down to that price again?

Kelly, are you looking to get the XT or the XTi?

I dont know if this was posted anywhere on this forum, but saw this deal, and thought

it might interest someone... Today's the last day though.

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/soe/EC.SOE.S1050BLACK.JPG

Samsung S1050 10.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

• 10.1-megapixel

• 5x optical zoom

• 3" LCD screen• Face Recognition AF/AE

• Advanced Shake Reduction

• Supports ISO 1600

www.circuitcity.com

Free printer (R280) with purchase by mail-in rebate

SOE S1050BLACK, EPS R280 ,

Price was: $349.98

Instant savings: -$115.00

You pay: $234.98

Mail in rebates: -$75.00

Price after

rebates: $159.98

I know many here seem to like the Canon A560. that doesn't have the Image Stablization that I want. I was looking over at Amazon and they have this:

Canon PowerShot A720IS 8MP Digital Camera with 6x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

$198.98 - Quantity: 1 - In Stock - Eligible for Amazon Prime shipping rates: join now

Condition: new

with it, I also get a Kingston 2G memory card and if I buy a Canon Printer (which I did find one I liked for $66 :yup: ) I will get a $50 rebate...

does that sound like a good deal? I want to order by tonight in the event the free memory card isn't there after tonight.

My sister ordered the A560 deal with the battery charger pack.. it was back up online today!! I would much rather have the batteries but they don't offer it with this camera...:(

I just got the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi bundle pack from Amazon for 999. I paid 17.50 for shipping and no tax. It ended up being cheaper than our Best Buy because I didn't have to pay tax. :yup:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm-Speedlite-TTL-Shoe-Warranty/dp/B000Y91CLI/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1195361547&sr=1-30

I just got the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi bundle pack from Amazon for 999. I paid 17.50 for shipping and no tax. It ended up being cheaper than our Best Buy because I didn't have to pay tax. :yup:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm-Speedlite-TTL-Shoe-Warranty/dp/B000Y91CLI/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1195361547&sr=1-30

I paid $671 for the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi with stock lens and a 2GB fast CF card with 0 2 day shipping via Amazon Prime.

I then picked up an XTi Camera bag with lens filter and extra battery for 50 bucks and a 75-300 Canon Lens at Best Buy for 190.

What kind of bundle did yours have? 999 is a lot more than the 671 I just paid.

Also, I highly recommend spending the extra hundredish bucks on the XTi over the XT.

Hello. Add me to the list of "I want a new digital camera!" :)

Does anyone have the Canon powershot S3 IS? If so do you like it? I seen they retail from 300 -400 dollars. Is $169.00 a good buy for this camera brand new? Any input would be great. I am a mom of two under 4 and want to upgrade from my cheapo crappy digital and my 35mm zoom camera. Thank you in advance!

Heather

I have heard good things about the Canon S3 IS but have not used it myself. I have actually been looking at it or the S5 for myself. My friends was given one last Christmas, I believe,and she has had nothing but good to say about it . She uses it to take pictures of her 6 kids ages 5-13 who all play sports or dance. I know teh SLRs are better all around but they are also more expensive and have more functions to learn.