>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

I'm wondering if there really will be any "great" laptops deals on BF considering all the low prices now and considering how last year went. WM put theirs out like the week before and had nothing for BF. I'm putting my hopes online for laptaps on BF, although BB or CC will probably have something. I really want to get one for the kids' big present this year.

Wal-Mart really took a gamble last year having that cheap laptop sale early. Depending on how you look at it, you'll determine if it paid off or not. There'll definately be plenty from Best Buy, Circuit City, and CompUSA.

hmmmm I hope Best buy does not use 512ram laptops again as doorbusters. THe laptops with windows vista need min 512RAM just to run the vista operating system.

Most likely they will for the cheap doorbuster laptops. They'll have others that's more Vista capable. However the cheap one everyone will be in front of the line for will most likely be something that's the current bottom of technology, like a Celeron/Sempron single-core processor, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB hard drive, CD burner/DVD reader combo. I'm in complete agreement that it's barely enough for a Vista-based computer, even if it's just the Home edition. But as a laptop for me it's OK cuz I can just install XP. ;)

Last week Best Buy had a Toshiba laptop for $349. It had 80gb, 512mb ram, 15.4" screen, dvd burner and a 1.6 Celeron processor. Not great specs but if you are looking for a laptop just to web surf or for a kid, the price is right. Toshiba makes good laptops and for less than $50 you can always go back and add more ram.

I picked one up for my niece who wanted one for school. The best part is no lines. Just walked in around noon on Sunday and was out fifteen minutes later with a new laptop for $368 after tax.

Best Buy has another $349 laptop this week:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8398691&st=ML3109&type=product&id=1179877238826

I seen the one BB had this week. Wasn't as good as I was hoping for with that price. I agree that if they are THAT low now they will go lower for BF. The laptop is the ONLY iten I am waiting for this year. I will get that and then probably hit another store like WM to get the other things I want. Can hardly wait for teh BB and WM ads. Gonna end up missing turkey dinner but life does go on.

Hi fellow BF shoppers. One good thing about getting your laptop on BF,is all the xtra goodies and /or free services that the stores throw in if you buy during those very early hours. Can someone recommend the min. specs my hubby would need on a laptop that would let him view & listen to his talk radio online? That's basically the most impt. criteria for him. Also,anyone know who makes the so-called,durable,strongbook type that withstands spills or drops,as he's very clumsy? Thanks in advance, Annette

Hi fellow BF shoppers. One good thing about getting your laptop on BF,is all the xtra goodies and /or free services that the stores throw in if you buy during those very early hours. Can someone recommend the min. specs my hubby would need on a laptop that would let him view & listen to his talk radio online? That's basically the most impt. criteria for him. Also,anyone know who makes the so-called,durable,strongbook type that withstands spills or drops,as he's very clumsy? Thanks in advance, Annette

If your husband needs a laptop just for listening to the radio he can get a inexpensive laptop spec: 512RAM, 60-80 Gig hard drive, CD burner and Windows Vista. Panasonic makes strong, durable laptops called tough books.

Panasonic website

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/business-rugged-computers.asp

If your husband needs a laptop just for listening to the radio he can get a inexpensive laptop spec: 512RAM, 60-80 Gig hard drive, CD burner and Windows Vista. Panasonic makes strong, durable laptops called tough books.

Panasonic website

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/business-rugged-computers.asp

I would recommend at least 1GB of RAM for Vista Home Basic -- 2 GB of RAM for Home Premium.

Hi fellow BF shoppers. One good thing about getting your laptop on BF,is all the xtra goodies and /or free services that the stores throw in if you buy during those very early hours.

Really? :confused: I hadn't noticed many 'free' services or goodies handed out. You can 'buy' extended warranties and such, but not much in free extras.

Can someone recommend the min. specs my hubby would need on a laptop that would let him view & listen to his talk radio online? That's basically the most impt. criteria for him.

Typically, even the cheaper ones should be able to do that over the internet, but I'd recommend the previous mention of upgrading to at least a total of 1GB of RAM memory. :yup: Vista is a resource pig.

What's his radio talk show? Maybe we can call in and say hi and Brad can do a GottaDeal promo stunt? :D

Also,anyone know who makes the so-called,durable,strongbook type that withstands spills or drops,as he's very clumsy? Thanks in advance, Annette

Yes, we hubbies are very clumsy, aren't we? :cheesy:

Really? :confused: I hadn't noticed many 'free' services or goodies handed out. You can 'buy' extended warranties and such, but not much in free extras.

:

I am guessing she means the free software (tax cut, quicken, etc) and hardware (1GB jump drive, 10 pack cd, etc) that are free w/ mail in rebate normally at the same time.

If there are 200 people in line at 1am, I think my chances of getting are slim and none. I can deal with waiting in line from midnight onward but I am visiting my parents and don't want to wait in line right after we eat some bird. I should visit with them for awhile...

Maybe, I am better off looking online for the laptop and getting one refurbished from tiger direct? I am looking to spend less than 400.

LAst year WM had the early sale on laptops sometime around the beginning of Nov or something. Keep on eye on the sale papers and you might catch a sale like that.

Does anyone know if Apple does BF, or any kind of discounts? I've got a shiny new Apple Store near my house that is just calling my name... "Line up... EARLY" :rolleyes: Who knows. Do you know? That would make me :cheesy: .

Apple has never participated in BF sales before. Apple is notorious for not having sales period.

Typically, even the cheaper ones should be able to do that over the internet, but I'd recommend the previous mention of upgrading to at least a total of 1GB of RAM memory. :yup: Vista is a resource pig.

What's his radio talk show? Maybe we can call in and say hi and Brad can do a GottaDeal promo stunt? :D

Yes, we hubbies are very clumsy, aren't we? :cheesy:

Hi, There were lots of free software, free Vista upgrade, free PC services & giftcards. Hubby listens to Glenn Beck, Hannity,etc. etc. We're moving to Panama next yr. & won't be able to get his radio shows unless he listens online. lol, yes my hubby is very clumsy, I think it's a "man thing" lol

Also,anyone know who makes the so-called,durable,strongbook type that withstands spills or drops,as he's very clumsy? Thanks in advance, Annette

I know Panasonic makes the Toughbook. They have the commercial with the people walking around in different professions dropping their notebook and spilling stuff on it.

Fry's Electronics usually puts out a good laptop deal on Friday.

Are you talking an average Friday or Black Friday specifically??

I am in desperate need of a laptop again this year. Last year I got help from this board about my cousin needing a new laptop and this year it's my turn. Mine was stolen when I was on a business trip in Chicago a few months ago :(

Hi, There were lots of free software, free Vista upgrade, free PC services & giftcards. Hubby listens to Glenn Beck, Hannity,etc. etc. We're moving to Panama next yr. & won't be able to get his radio shows unless he listens online. lol, yes my hubby is very clumsy, I think it's a "man thing" lol

Until recently, I had been using a 1.2Ghz laptop with 512 MB of RAM for listening to radio broadcasts over the 'net and watching online movies through Netflix. It did fine. I listen to Hannity and Rush Limbaugh too. :)

If you are going with a laptop running Vista, just stick with at least 1GB of RAM for Vista Basic and 2GB for Home Premium.

You'll be fine. However, those Toughbooks are extremely expensive. Like twice the price of a standard laptop. It might pay him to be more careful, or ask you to move it from room to room for him, LOL!

Are you talking an average Friday or Black Friday specifically??

Fry's Electronics has some good deals every weekend as well as one of the better desktop and laptop deals on BF. Most weekend deals have rebates, unfortunately. :(

I am in desperate need of a laptop again this year. Last year I got help from this board about my cousin needing a new laptop and this year it's my turn. Mine was stolen when I was on a business trip in Chicago a few months ago :(

Very sorry to hear that. :no: Did you purchase some sort of extended warranty with it it? Some have theft protection.

Thanks for the info on Frys. I used to read their newspaper ad in every weekend but I haven't read the paper in so long. I didn't purchase a warranty unfortunately :( Stupid TSA rules where you have to take out your laptop so they can inspect it. By the time I put my shoes back on I couldn't find my laptop. They claimed to not know where it went. I personally think they assumed that it was someone else's. Sigh.

We purchased one of the $250 Toshiba Laptops last BF for the in-laws. It is a very nice laptop for easy use(web surfing, Im'ing) light office work. They love it! This year I am hoping to get another cheap one.

Was that the one from Best Buy? I'm glad that they were able to enjoy it.

Until recently, I had been using a 1.2Ghz laptop with 512 MB of RAM for listening to radio broadcasts over the 'net and watching online movies through Netflix. It did fine. I listen to Hannity and Rush Limbaugh too. :)

If you are going with a laptop running Vista, just stick with at least 1GB of RAM for Vista Basic and 2GB for Home Premium.

You'll be fine. However, those Toughbooks are extremely expensive. Like twice the price of a standard laptop. It might pay him to be more careful, or ask you to move it from room to room for him, LOL!

Thanks! Yes, I figured those toughbooks would be expensive. Maybe I better buy 2 of the cheapies & hide one of them until he breaks the first one. :>)

Was that the one from Best Buy? I'm glad that they were able to enjoy it.

Yes, it was the one from Best Buy. We also bought the $189 e-machines for the sister in law. We did camp out early but we got everything we wanted. This year we are going to actually buy stuff for ourselves.

Guest ladakn99

i got the $599 acer from last year at CC

Turion X2 TL-50 AMD Processor

1GB Ram

120GB Hard Drive

DVD burner

Webcam

it was on sale for about $749 mid octover, so if you see something in that price range, my guess is thats what your going to see at that $599 pricepoint

i upgraded the PC so it has Office 2007 and Vista Ultimate, and some other software

it works flawlessly

(im gonna sell it for $600 on craigslist and upgrade on BF)