>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

hey guys! I've been lurking for awhile and all the comments have been extremely helpful. Although I'm still confused as to which laptop is the best deal.

I know its subjective and it depends on the user but I would be frequently using the laptop to play games, download music, and do work....should I go with the HP for $550 at BB? Or the Sony Viao?

I don't know much about computers so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated especially from you, Nirvana4all :) you seem to know what you're talking about. Thanks!

So sorry I have been out of it (I was at work and got there late due to staying up until 1:30 for the best buy online fiasco). I would recomend for that teh $500 Copusa or the $550 Circuit city laptop. You are likely too late for any of the BB laptops that are not already sold out online. out of the BB ones, I would just avoid the sony due to it's config and some build issues. I dont know if there are build issues on that particular laptop, but some of their lower end models have been having problems and not working even as well as you would expect for the low price.

Does anybody know what is going on with the Laptop at BB that is suppose to be $229.00. It's not in the add, but is on the BF listing.

I just saw the advert of $229 Laptop on TV and i rushed to my PC i have no clue what they are talking about coz its not in the ad. I hope if any body else can answer this

Hi guys, I searched up to see if anyone had said anything about walmarts (walmart.com/secret) laptop ($388) but couldn't find anything.

So what do you guys think? Good, bad?

Good. It's similar to the $399 vostro that Dell just sold on their website that sold out.

Every Walmart must've had different laptops... Ours had an 80 GB one. It was also a Toshiba. We got there at 3:30 this morning and waited for them to bring them out at 5. There was a mad rush for them. Luckily, I ended up managing to get one. It is for my soon-to-be 12 year old and I didn't want to spend over $400 and we don't have anyplace besides a Walmart to shop for laptops around here unless you want to drive over 70 miles.

The Walmart I was at didn't have ONE SINGLE "In Store Special" laptop - I was 3rd in line, so I know for a fact there were none at our store.

Bastards. :mad:

BUT....I did get my hands on the Dell Inspiron 1501, but when they went to ring it in, it said "Sale not allowed". Of course this lead me to management/customer service, and lo and behold, they manually overrode it to be the special price!

Every Walmart must've had different laptops... Ours had an 80 GB one. It was also a Toshiba. We got there at 3:30 this morning and waited for them to bring them out at 5. There was a mad rush for them. Luckily, I ended up managing to get one. It is for my soon-to-be 12 year old and I didn't want to spend over $400 and we don't have anyplace besides a Walmart to shop for laptops around here unless you want to drive over 70 miles.

When I got to Walmart, the electronics manager told us that she didn't know anything about a $388 laptop. 45 minutes later she came back and told us that they had finally found them. They got 9 of them in and they wouldn't tell us for sure where they were going to put them out. They said that last year it just created chaos when they told people where to wait for them. I was really mad since I had been there since 3:30 and I said that they needed to hand out tickets or something for the people who were there waiting and their response was 'this isn't Best Buy'... Really rude! I'm not sure that I will do BF shopping at Walmart again even though I did manage to get one...

The Walmart I was at didn't have ONE SINGLE "In Store Special" laptop - I was 3rd in line, so I know for a fact there were none at our store.

Bastards. :mad:

BUT....I did get my hands on the Dell Inspiron 1501, but when they went to ring it in, it said "Sale not allowed". Of course this lead me to management/customer service, and lo and behold, they manually overrode it to be the special price!

Biggest advice to you vermont is to get an external hard drive, the bigger the better (500gb). That way no matter whether you get a 100gb or a 160 gb internal hard drive you will have room for all your pictures and videos. What do you do to your pics and videos? Just save, watch and share them, or do you edit them on the laptop? This answer will make a very big difference in what type/level of pc you need.

Thanks Nirvana4all. I did take your advice and get an external hard drive. I didn't get a laptop....."snooze and lose".....it was snowing here last night! People were in line at 4 pm here at BB!

Someone asked me about the Creative Memories software but since I'm new I can't respond back to her in a private email. I love the software. It's called Memory Manager. It's a great way to organize your digital photos. When I upload my pictures to my computer, I take a few minutes to "write" about the day, that way when I go to "scrap" my photos, I don't have to try and remember the events of the day.....they are already there!

I gotta a question that I could use your alls help on :) I purchased the compaq c706nr from frys.com this morning. The specs are

Intel Celeron 530

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic

15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared) with up to 251MB Total Available

Available Graphics Memory

1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

80GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)

802.11b/g WLAN

Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Now I'm kind of unsure about the memory. I'm just planning to use this for email, web, dvd burning, basic stuff but I checked that this laptop only supports a max of 1gb of memory. To use it with this processor and Vista Basic, will it run smoothly or am I going to run into trouble? Thanks for the help in advance!

I've read where laptops with similar specs can run somewhat smoothly. I think I read where someone had turned off all of vista's bells and whistles. I don't know how to do it. Probably could google how to.

I gotta a question that I could use your alls help on :) I purchased the compaq c706nr from frys.com this morning. The specs are

Intel Celeron 530

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic

15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared) with up to 251MB Total Available

Available Graphics Memory

1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

80GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)

802.11b/g WLAN

Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Now I'm kind of unsure about the memory. I'm just planning to use this for email, web, dvd burning, basic stuff but I checked that this laptop only supports a max of 1gb of memory. To use it with this processor and Vista Basic, will it run smoothly or am I going to run into trouble? Thanks for the help in advance!

HP - Pavilion TK-53 Laptop dv6607nr, So this is a decent laptop?? I was looking at the 299 and 399 laps at CC Compaq and Toshiba.

I got both of these. Bought the HP 6607 pretty much knowing BB was not going to put their Sony $399 on the web. I figured, what's $50, close to same specs. I later scored the Compaq $299(AR) at CC. Again, both are close in specs. The HP I've seen before and know it will 'look' nicer. The Compaq(also made by HP) seems to have a smaller hard drive (80 vs 160), but has a better graphics card:gdlicklips:. Hmm..now to decide which one I keep and which one goes to another family member. :gdparanoid:

the laptop that WM had was a dual core Toshiba with built in video camera and mic, has 120 gig HD and 15.4" widescreen.... we got one at 7am here.. our store was empty of shoppers.. was the only thing we got as they really had nothing else interesting.

This is the same one I got. My store had both the Toshiba 120 GB and 80 GB models. The 120 GB model I bought didnt list the processor specs, so when I got home, I was pleasantly suprised to find out it was a 2.0 GHz Intel core duo T2450! What a steal for $ 388.

Even more surprising I got it at 10 AM. I took the gamble becuase they had 10 computers left at 8AM and the store really had slowed down, so I hit up some other stores and cashed a paycheck before I came back at 10. Plus the Walmart people didnt even notice at first they had 2 different models, so they gave people the crappier ones first :tongue1: If the college kids were still in town, the computers would have been long gone. My town has 6000 students who are on break, and only 6000 non-college citizens, and there hardly any sizable towns for 100 miles, so I didnt have to compete with many other bargain seekers :D I really scored with this one!

I picked up my 2GB Ram Athlon X2 HP with a BEAUTIFUL 17" Widescreen monitor for $450 at CompUSA (plus got an additional $10 gift card and two 512mb notebook ram chips for free because of their boo-boo - but that's another story!). Couldn't be happier!:smart:

I picked up my 2GB Ram Athlon X2 HP with a BEAUTIFUL 17" Widescreen monitor for $450 at CompUSA (plus got an additional $10 gift card and two 512mb notebook ram chips for free because of their boo-boo - but that's another story!). Couldn't be happier!:smart:

Yeah, that as a good deal!

I also scored at WM with the laptop. By far the best deal!!!!!!!:yup: Was first in line, picked up the Dell 1501 notebook with 2gb, AMD dual-core, 120gb HD for $388. They had the 4 Dell and 10 Toshiba- they allowed us to pick which one we wanted. I went with the Dell. :D

The Walmart here sold me that one for 598!!! Please pm me.

Funny about those CC offers: One week ago, CC sent me an offer on this very basic ACER at $ 279 w/ rebate.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Aspire-4315-2490-14-1-Widescreen-Laptop-AS4315-2490/sem/rpsm/oid/196355/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do?linkid=j13459594k39085&affiliateid=k39085&mid=

But instead of "in store pickup", it said "In store purchase only, in stock". So I hotfooted it to CC an hour before opening.

It may have been "In stock" on Sun @ 6am, but when they opened (I was was # 1 in line), they were "sold out". No....they were sold out AT THAT PRICE. " But for a few hunded more, we can sell you THIS much nicer one...".

Yesterday, this item was available at $ 599 w NO rebate. Now their website says, "in stock" at $ 399 w/ rebate.

It's a bait and switch.

Don't be like Charlie Brown.

Originally Posted by firstladyberg

I also scored at WM with the laptop. By far the best deal!!!!!!! Was first in line, picked up the Dell 1501 notebook with 2gb, AMD dual-core, 120gb HD for $388. They had the 4 Dell and 10 Toshiba- they allowed us to pick which one we wanted. I went with the Dell.

The Walmart here sold me that one for 598!!! Please pm me.

I was also charged $598 for my Dell Inspiron 1501

• 2 weeks later...

I was also charged $598 for my Dell Inspiron 1501

I think because Walmart had the Dell for $598 and then had the secret-sale of Dells, Toshibas and whatevers for $388, the employees were confused. So they marked the $598 Dells down to $388 for the people that 'pushed' the issue of the secret-sale. I think some people made out.:g_thumble:g_clap::groovin::runaway: