Christmas Trees...Real or Fake? merged

jarerice

Guest JustMeDiana
I love the smell of a real one. Decorating the real ones I have to wear gloves and then use a dozen boxes of Kleenex. So we use a pre-lit tree and candles. :D

• 2 weeks later...

A real tree. We never have a huge mess problem, just keep it filled with plenty of water. I had to decorate hundreds of fake trees over the years in stores and a fake tree just feels like "work." A real tree is a holiday!

That said, I also have a fairly sizeable collection of really FAKE trees in pink, silver, lime green, blue etc in smaller sizes that I put around the house. If a tree is fake, I want it to look fake and sparkly.

And LOL at the 'Griswold" remark.

Fake, but I put my own lights on so I can change between white lights and colored lights depending upon my MOOD that year!

Also-for those of you that say you miss the pine smell of a real tree--- Just buy some Glade Potpourri Pine Sccented aerosol spray and spray your tree down when people come over!!!!!!! That's what I do!

(I actually use the "Christmas Tree" from bath and body works-YUM!)

• 2 weeks later...
I have used a fake tree for the last 8 years and gave away my tree on freecycle and now when I am looking the trees I like are $300 to $400 so I may just buy a real tree this year and buy a fake when they are reduced. I do love the smell of the real trees tho.

We have always had a real 10-12 foot Fraiser Fir, but this year we bought a 9 ft Fake pre-lit tree, so we will see if we like it. I also put up 5 other "smaller" trees around the house. I am definitely going to have to get some real branches to make swags out of for the smell. I love that fresh pine scent.

Everyone says the real one's don't last but we but ours up on the Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving and leave it up until New Years. It looks beautiful every year. How long do you guys leave your trees up?! If you keep it watered you shouldn't have any trouble. Just don't put any crap in the water - like bleach or sugar. You only add sugar to boiling water on the very first night because you have cut the tree. Other than that you are doing more harm than good. (I used to work for a florist)

Everyone says the real one's don't last but we but ours up on the Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving and leave it up until New Years.

I think it depends on where you live. In Southern California, it's too dry that time of year--there is just no good way to keep a tree fresh that long. And a lot of us worry about the fire danger (especially this year, I'd guess). We usually get more Santa Ana winds in December, so the humidity is even lower...just not worth the risk.

They do smell great, however.....:)

Fake. I can't kill a tree for Christmas and keeping one alive through the holidays is just too much more stress.

Same here. I love plants and find it depressing to hang pretty decorations on a dying tree. :(

We have a non-lit fake tree from TreeClassics. It's gorgeous! So dense and full - I love it! We keep this one by the picture window and it's so dense the outside light doesn't filter through the branches.

Adding: we bought the non-lit version because I like variety in Christmas lights. We've done multi-color c-7 LEDs and mixed up clear and yellow lights. Both turned out so pretty!!

I love the smell of a real tree, but I hate the mess, the constant watering, etc. I grew up with fake trees and dh and I had fake trees most of our Christmas' together. We have a fake prelit tree and it is still very pretty and much less hassle.

Elena

• 3 weeks later...
I have always put up a fake tree, but my husband wants to put up a real one. I don't want to spend alot of money on a live tree when I have a beautiful fake tree. Home Depot has the 5-6 ft Douglas fir trees for 19.99 on BF. Has anyone had any experience with them? I have hardwood floors in my living room, and do not want to have sap everywhere. And I have a 7 month old who puts everything in her mouth, so I don't particularly care to have needles everywhere. (Guess I shoud stick with the fake tree!) Anyway, I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

I haven't had a douglas fir in many years as I have been doing artificial, but what I do remember is that they keep their needles well and they are beautiful trees. What I didn't like about them was that they are very soft trees and heavy ornaments must be put more in the middle and not on the tips.

I usually get Douglas or Frasier Firs, I love the look of pine trees but generally they don't have strong enough branches to hold ornaments well. The firs are generally cheaper in cost than pine. We would get ours from a local grocery store which actually had fresher trees than the lots for $25 (about 6-7' tall). We use to go to one that brought them in from a farm in the Northern part of our state (Montana) but they went up to nearly $50 for a tree. We have a fireplace in the Living room so they dry out very quickly so don't want to pay big bucks and have it dropping needles in two weeks.

I put a big sheet on the floor first (you could also buy a tree bag) than put up the tree, than the tree skirt. When its time to take the tree out, I wrap it really tight in the sheet and haul it out with minimal needle dropping. The tree bag can do the same thing but sometimes they don't fit the tree well (girth wise). I love fresh trees but last year we went to fake because of the fireplace drying the trees out too much