Question about Wal-Mart Returns

nikkilugi

Does anyone know if Wal-Mart has the ability to lookup a purchase with the credit card like Target can? My dh threw away one of my receipts and I wanted to take something back to the store and actually get a refund instead of a merchandise card.

TIA

They've always given my money back, regardless if I have a receipt or if I want to exchange it. There is a limit though at our store--they told me you can only have 2 or 3 returns without a receipt (a year). I could be wrong about the number, but it's somewhere around there that one cashier told me. I try to remember to save all of my receipts until we are sure everything fits right, etc. We don't always try things on at the store, which I guess we should...

They've always given my money back, regardless if I have a receipt or if I want to exchange it. There is a limit though at our store--they told me you can only have 2 or 3 returns without a receipt (a year). I could be wrong about the number, but it's somewhere around there that one cashier told me. I try to remember to save all of my receipts until we are sure everything fits right, etc. We don't always try things on at the store, which I guess we should...

You're right, but I think it's actually max of three returns in six months w/o a receipt, and you can get cash back...

I almost always get gift cards instead of cash, but that's never really an issue for me since I shop there so much.

Wal-Mart is really behind Target as far as returns go. I LOVE the credit card look-up that Target offers and use it all the time.

I almost always get gift cards instead of cash, but that's never really an issue for me since I shop there so much.

Wal-Mart is really behind Target as far as returns go. I LOVE the credit card look-up that Target offers and use it all the time.

Even with cc lookup, I've had things NOT come up, and I may not always have the receipt, so I prefer W-M's more lax policy...of course, Target and TRU's policies used to be lax, too, and now their a PITA, so who's to say W-M's won't change too?

They did once for my mom when she bought one of those $400 pools and we needed a reciept to send to the company to get a new filter that went out. It took several days but they did it. And we were able to get the pool filter, too. But that was 3 years ago..... You would have to just ask them.

They can look your CC up. I just had an experience with them about an item I purchased before Christmas and of course I threw away the receipt awhile ago but they told me that if I purchased it with my CC they could look it up. Of course, I hadn't used my card but had written a check and I had to go back through my checkbook and get my check #'s for the month that I purchased it and the ones that I wrote at WM and they were able to look up my check # and give me my $ back too!

They are really good about returns there but this was an item that was put out for Christmas gifts so is was only seasonal and they did not have anymore in the store and wouldn't until September so it was worth the time that I had to spend to give them the info they needed and then I had to wait a couple of days for them to look it up but they called and said they found it and the info would be at the service desk waiting for me. They really do try to give you back your $ or credit your CC instead of giving you a gift card.

I've never tried to do a CC look-up there, but I was told that if the item was under $20 they would give cash back w/o a reciept but over that they've always given me a gift card.

On another note, watch the people who are doing the return. I had to exchange a PC game I had bought for my dad, it was still unopened and I had the reciept. I went back to electronics to look for the game but they didn't have it and when I got back to CS they had opened the one I had brought in to make sure it was all there. I wanted to go ahead and keep the game and give it with the receipt so he could exchange it (it was only a few days before christmas) and it took me forever to convince the lady at the counter that since she had opened it I could not try to exchange it at another wal-mart. They finally had to call a manager who let me get another copy of the one I brought in so it could be exchanged elsewhere. I've heard of them doing this with sealed dvds and cds which then means your out of luck if you want to exchange it elsewhere. I also tried to exchange a doll house for a different one w/o a reciept and the opened it up and broke some of the pieces forcing them out of the box and then tried to blame it on me when I got back to CS with the one I wanted. I tried to explain to them that it hadn't even been openned, I had just bought the wrong one but they insisted that I had put it all back in the box incorrectly and that's why they broke it. They refused to get a manager so I walked to the side, called CS and asked to talk to a manager. I asked him if he would meet me at CS to handle a dispute. He was really confused that I was calling from within the store. He got it handled for me and I got the doll house I wanted but it took over an hour. Now DH goes and gets the exchanges and I watch the CS ppl with my cell camera ready in case they break anything else I bring in. I would shop elsewhere but there really isn't anywhere else to shop within 70 miles of where I like...

I've never tried to do a CC look-up there, but I was told that if the item was under $20 they would give cash back w/o a reciept but over that they've always given me a gift card.

On another note, watch the people who are doing the return. I had to exchange a PC game I had bought for my dad, it was still unopened and I had the reciept. I went back to electronics to look for the game but they didn't have it and when I got back to CS they had opened the one I had brought in to make sure it was all there. I wanted to go ahead and keep the game and give it with the receipt so he could exchange it (it was only a few days before christmas) and it took me forever to convince the lady at the counter that since she had opened it I could not try to exchange it at another wal-mart. They finally had to call a manager who let me get another copy of the one I brought in so it could be exchanged elsewhere. I've heard of them doing this with sealed dvds and cds which then means your out of luck if you want to exchange it elsewhere. I also tried to exchange a doll house for a different one w/o a reciept and the opened it up and broke some of the pieces forcing them out of the box and then tried to blame it on me when I got back to CS with the one I wanted. I tried to explain to them that it hadn't even been openned, I had just bought the wrong one but they insisted that I had put it all back in the box incorrectly and that's why they broke it. They refused to get a manager so I walked to the side, called CS and asked to talk to a manager. I asked him if he would meet me at CS to handle a dispute. He was really confused that I was calling from within the store. He got it handled for me and I got the doll house I wanted but it took over an hour. Now DH goes and gets the exchanges and I watch the CS ppl with my cell camera ready in case they break anything else I bring in. I would shop elsewhere but there really isn't anywhere else to shop within 70 miles of where I like...

That is why I refuse to shop at Wal Mart.

I'm more than willing to pay a couple of dollars extra at any other stores to keep from having to do business with this place. Their customer service is just awful and the cashiers are as rude as can be.....

now my wal-mart has great customer service. I've never had a problem with that and i'm in there several times a week. i have learned that if I want to exchange something it is just easier to return it and then just purchase what I want that way if they dont have what i want i don't have to go back up to the desk.

Walmart does have the ability to look up things with a credit card, I have done it, it takes them a while. I on the other hand hate Target the ones here suck, If you are looking for customer service you are not going to find it in Indianapolis, so that is why I just do not expect it.

I work for Wal-Mart, in accounting. Yes, we can look up reciepts for customers, but we need to know the exact day the purchase was made. There is not an option in Wal-Mart's outdated electionic journal program to just search for credit card numbers. The search has to be pulled up day by day, which can take a long time.

You must also be sure you have the correct store. Each store can only access their own electronic journal history. I can't tell you how many times a customer has called to see if we can locate a reciept for them, and after hours of searching, they finally realize that they purchased the item at the store five miles down the road.

Sorry it took so long to reply, we've had company all weekend. As far as I know, there is no national policy of not accepting returns without a recipt. We still do it all the time. So it must be a local decision. The system will flag your DL number after 3 returns without a reciept within 6 months. However, depending on how large the return is, management can (and often do) override the system and allow the refund.

Sorry it took so long to reply, we've had company all weekend. As far as I know, there is no national policy of not accepting returns without a recipt. We still do it all the time. So it must be a local decision. The system will flag your DL number after 3 returns without a reciept within 6 months. However, depending on how large the return is, management can (and often do) override the system and allow the refund.

Thanks for the information. It must be that specific store then. The manager who told me this hadn't even looked up any of my information. I was still waiting on a rather long line.