Angel Food Ministries

http://www.angelfoodministries.com

Has anyone here had any experience with angel food ministries? Just wondering if it really is a good deal and the products are decent. This is the February menu from the site

ALL THIS FOR THE LOW COST OF JUST $25.00*

(1) 3 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders

(1) 1.5 lb. St. Louis Style Ribs

(1) 4 lb. I.Q.F. Chicken Thighs

(1) 1 lb. Ground Beef

(1) 2 lb. Breaded Chicken Breast Filets

(10) 4 oz. Beef Burritos

(1) 12 oz. Smoked Sausage

(1) 20 ct. Old El Paso Taco Shells

(1) 16 oz. Pinto Beans

(1) 16 oz. Rice

(1) 7.5 oz. Corn Muffin Mix

(1) 20 oz. Shoestring French Fries

(1) 16 oz. Sugar Snap Peas

(1) 16 oz. 4-Way Mixed Vegetables

(1) 15 oz. Breakfast Cereal

(1) Dozen Eggs

(1) 27 oz. Pie

** One or more specials available only with the purchase of a regular unit. **

FEBRUARY SPECIAL #1

4 lb. Box, Steak Combo - $18.00

(4 8-oz. Ribeyes, 4 8-oz. T Bones)

FEBRUARY SPECIAL #2

10 lb. Box, Chicken Combo - $18.00

(2 lb. F.C. Wings, 2 lb. IQF Tenders, 2 lb. Breaded Frying Chicken, 2 lb. F.C. Chicken Strips, 2 lb. Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast)

FEBRUARY SPECIAL #3

5.5 lb. Box, Meat Combo - $18.00

(4 6-oz.Top Sirloin, 4 4-oz. Steak Burger, 16 oz. Beef Back Ribs, 16 oz. Short Ribs, 16 oz. Italian Sausage )

FEBRUARY SPECIAL #4

2.25 lb. Box, Overstock Special - Gourmet Coffee Box - $14.00

(1 12-oz. House Blend, 1 12-oz. Hazelnut Cream, 1 12-oz. Brazilian Amizade)

I have gotten this several times. Sometimes it is better than others, but I have some picky eaters. Sometimes the 25.00 box has mostly meat which I love to get and at times there isn't alot of meat in the box. At those times its not that great of a value for us. The quality of everything I have gotten has been good. We like to get the boxes of steaks. Sometimes if I don't want the main offer, I will just add a box or two of steaks to a friend or relatives order.

I keep on hearing about this place and I finally went to their website. They only deliver to two churches in my area, ones I've never heard of on the other side of town. Does everyone attend the church they get their orders from or is it okay for non-members of that church to call and place an order? Not quite understanding how this works. Is it kind of like Market Day?

Yes. Most of our orders come from NON members. we take about 500 box orders a month and I'd say about 375 are from NON members. It's for anyone who wants/needs it. It's a great way to have extra's in the pantry or freezer in the month. My sister buys 5 boxes a month (family of 7) I only buy 1 box (family of 5 but food allergies won't let my fids eat some prepackaged foods). But I always buy a box and donate.

PS

It's almost time for NEW LOST SEASON!!!

I have never gotten this, but know people who have. From what I understand, you do not have to go to the churches that distribute, its more of a localization point. Certain churches volunteer to host the distribution. I find I do better with coupons, and *gasp* the $25 seemed high to me. Sad, isn't it? LOL.

This is why I've put off getting one because I really think I get better deals with sales and coupons..anyone else?

It really depends on where you live and how many stores you have. If you don't have but one store....the prices are through the roof! Coupons don't even cover sales tax...(yes in Alabama they charge 8% on our food for tax) So coupons don't touch it. No one will take a printed coupon either.

It really depends on where you live and how many stores you have. If you don't have but one store....the prices are through the roof! Coupons don't even cover sales tax...(yes in Alabama they charge 8% on our food for tax) So coupons don't touch it. No one will take a printed coupon either.

Oh, I understand completely! But for me, I am basically paying for just the meat, and I can usually do better on my own. I know it helps alot of people tho, especially in areas that aren't competative.

No proof of income needed. We have done this a number of times. The big downside for us is that frequently some of the items pile up unused (e.g., the frozen chicken thighs). Ideally, the way to make the most of the program would be to get several families together, place orders and then "divvy" up their boxes according to what items each needs and would use the most.

You do have to order one usually at least 3 weeks before. We get them periodically. My husband and I love the paprika frozen chicken. It is excellent. If you have picky eaters or prefer certain brands of things, it may not be a great deal. For example, the box of mac-n-cheese that you get is horrible. But usually the meat more than makes up for the items that are not very good (in my opinion). The chicken fingers are great (once I figured out temp/time to cook). I'm not a very good cook and don't cook very often. It's also a great ministry for our church. We usually purchase a couple of units for people who need them.

davephillyj, you must live in North Alabama where Wal-Mart has put everyone else out of business. Here in Athens we have Wal-Mart, Hometown, and Southern Family. Food World, Kroger, and Winn Dixie have all left.

Well, actually, I go to a salvage type store (bent and dent) and get all my can stuff 4 and 5 for $1. Box stuff like hamburger helper .50. Boxes of cereal that have been bent and don't sit straight 1.00 a box ANY BRAND any SIZE! I'd starve if I had to move!

Oh, and chicken thighs, make great dumplings or soups and stews. If you boil them up the day before and put the stock in the fridge (or add tons of ice) you can scoop all the fat off! Makes it low fat with all the taste.

Chop up the meat add some carrots, onions, celerey, bell pepper, lot of pepper, a can or two of cream of chicken soup and some noodles and presto! My hubby's favorite chicken stew! Oh and he likes new potatos in it, too

Can you tell I love to cook? From the south and luvin' it!