I need help with Baby gift...

amshal3

I have 2 friends and a co-work who are giving birth within the next few weeks. I would like to get them something nice but not to expensive since is 3 gifts that I have to get. Anybody have any ideas where I can start?

Target stores have a lot of baby items on clearance right now. Not sure of what the percentage off is, maybe 30%, but you could probably find something nice.

make each of them a diaper cake.i made one i topped it off with toys from mcdonalds happy meals since the theme was winnie the pooh. go in the plant section and i got a plastic plate like thing to put under the pot. i used that as a base . roll diapers long wise tie with a string when you get all rolled up take 2 rolled up diapers put a third string thru the strings that r there and tie.pretty soon they will be all tied up then place them rolling as u go on the plate.top off with little baby toys i only made one but it was a lot of fun

What is your budget for each? Do you know the genders? I just bought some awesome Gymboree and Baby Gap items NWT on ebay for very cheap! I got an outift that retailed $60.50 for $5.60, among many other deals.

How about a gift certificate for a decent take-out restaurant? New babies and cooking every night just don't seem to always work out. Maybe you could check out restaurant.com and see if there's anything local on there.

Robeez are the bomb, but depending on your budget that might not work. They are around $28.

I'll check back to see how much you want to spend and I can leave you an entire list of ideas if you want, lol. Did these people have baby showers? If yes, then people usually just bring an outfit when they visit a new baby.

When I have friends or family due soon, I give the mom a gift. I buy a cheap diaper bag from the dollarstore and fill it with a eye gel mask, lotion, pampering things. You can make one for around $15 a piece. I think I even put some breast shields for those I knew that were breast feeding. Maybe diaper rash ointment for baby...they will get so many things. Mom's are sometimes forgotten.

I normally make a diaper cake. Or you could go to the dollar store and get a basket and fill it w/ inexpensive stuff like pacifiers, bottle brush, and so on. You could line it with a fleece blanket from target. I think they are around $5. I hope you get some good ideas to help you out.

I agree with going with diapers. I would not buy the inexpensive kind, especially if you are making the diaper cake. I had tons of those and I hated cheap diapers, ended up throwing most away. I use pampers and they work best for my son. Being breastfed, he pooped many, many times a day and the cheap diapers just don't hold up. But I agree diapers are the best gift to give, and you can never have too many.

make each of them a diaper cake.i made one i topped it off with toys from mcdonalds happy meals since the theme was winnie the pooh. go in the plant section and i got a plastic plate like thing to put under the pot. i used that as a base . roll diapers long wise tie with a string when you get all rolled up take 2 rolled up diapers put a third string thru the strings that r there and tie.pretty soon they will be all tied up then place them rolling as u go on the plate.top off with little baby toys i only made one but it was a lot of fun

I got a diaper cake for my baby shower and it was one of the best gifts! The one I got she took a round piece of cardboard and covered it in alum.foil. Then took baby diapers and rolled them into rolls (putting a small rubber band around eachone in the middle. Stuck them in a circle and put a ribbon around them. (The ribbon covered the rubber bands and made it look like the "icing" on the cake.) She did a smaller "layer" of diapers on the next row up and she topped it with a pretty bow that had a pacifier tied in with it.

I agree with going with diapers. I would not buy the inexpensive kind, especially if you are making the diaper cake. I had tons of those and I hated cheap diapers, ended up throwing most away. I use pampers and they work best for my son. Being breastfed, he pooped many, many times a day and the cheap diapers just don't hold up. But I agree diapers are the best gift to give, and you can never have too many.

Gotta agree with this too! I used Pampers because they truly worked the best. (Huggies were NOT leak-proof for my breastfed lil one)

When will you give these gifts out? After the baby is born? Then you know what size to put in the "cake". Even though I think it's a great idea, I myself would only do it for the shower, not as a welcome home gift. I know that when I had my kids I received too many diapers (can you believe that) and I couldn't use some because my oldest kids grew too fast (no one gave me diapers bigger than a size 1 and they were Sam's Club boxes, I guess I could have exchanged them, but who has time) or born a preemie (everything was already too big and needed newborn sized).

Also, the moms might vary like those on this thread on which diapers they like and will buy. I like Luvs or Wal Mart myself now for when my kids are size 4 and up. For size 4 and under, I llike Huggies or ToysRUs brand. Depends on mom!

When will you give these gifts out? After the baby is born? Then you know what size to put in the "cake". Even though I think it's a great idea, I myself would only do it for the shower, not as a welcome home gift. I know that when I had my kids I received too many diapers (can you believe that) and I couldn't use some because my oldest kids grew too fast (no one gave me diapers bigger than a size 1 and they were Sam's Club boxes, I guess I could have exchanged them, but who has time) or born a preemie (everything was already too big and needed newborn sized).

Also, the moms might vary like those on this thread on which diapers they like and will buy. I like Luvs or Wal Mart myself now for when my kids are size 4 and up. For size 4 and under, I llike Huggies or ToysRUs brand. Depends on mom!

If you buy a typical brand, not a store brand, you can always, always return to walmart w/out a receipt and exchange for whatever size or brand you want, that is why I said before if making a diaper cake, not to use generic because the new mom couldn't return them once they are opened. If I had diapers or other items to return or exchange and I didn't feel like going, I always sent my husband.

2 are having girls and the other one has decided with her husband they want to be surprised. One of the girls had a babyshower but I couldn't attend it. The other two their babyshower is still in planning. The diaper cake sounds really nice. I think I'm going to try doing one to see how it comes out. I'm trying not to spend more than 100 on the gifts. So the clearance sounds good my going to check out my target.

This might sound like a dumb question but how are the diaper stay up? What in the center of the cake holding it up?:g_think:

Buy two (or 3) diaper bags. The smaller ones are nice to keep in the car etc. They are on sale at Target and fill them with inexpensive baby items. Like wash clothes, nail trimmers, baby Socks, a bag of diapers (nb or size 1) a cute rattle or two and stuff like travel baby wipes, butt paste (balmex or such). My DS is 6 months old and I loved having those little things already purchased etc. I got loads of diapers, bottles, clothes and such and not to much of the diaper bag needs and those are always welcomed.

Another way to do a diaper cake is a plastic pot water holder on bottom then stack the diapers long ways all the way around forming a circle, then continue until the bottom cake portion is formed. Once you have all that done, tie ribbon around them tight and form a bow. Do this one more time until you have two layers (each layer being different sized) the top layer just do a small round of diapers and then in the center put wash clothes, nail trimmers, butt paste, gas relief medicine, etc) make sure you get large ribbon and then some curling ribbon etc. I did these for years for a floral company and they are so cute. I used size 2 for the bottom, size 1 for the middle andsize NB for the top.

Do you have a Carter's Outlet nearby? I love that store, you can get such deals. When my boss's wife was having a baby I took up a collection ($200) and had so much stuff I could hardly carry it in. Tons and tons of stuff, a lot on sale from the previous season but I bought larger sizes so he was set for the year.

Books! Some of the dollar stores around here have those really nice heavy cardboard books. I used to love the small ones to stick in a diaper bag. Walmart has quite a few for 97cents. I've used books several times and they are always a big hit. The last one I did, I got a big, colorful sandpail and used that instead of a gift bag.

I had to go out and buy Addie a few board books and Santa brought her a cloth Winnie the Pooh book from Amazon. Even after having 2 kids and hundreds of books, the board books are usually in shortage because they get eaten and ripped.

Do you have a TJ Maxx or Marshalls near you? I got gorgeous brand name outfits for about $15.

Robeez are the bomb and cost about $26. It's too bad you don't know the gender of the third, because buying three pairs on their website gets free shipping. I don't know any mom that's used them that doesn't like them. They're great!

I like the diaper idea too, but I only use Pampers. I've been using Huggies lately because my mom bought them for Addie and she's had bad diaper rash. I can't say for certain that's the cause, but I'm going to switch back to Pampers starting tomorrow and see if it helps any.

The diaper rash cream is a great idea. I like Desitin Creamy, but I'd probably try any one that people gave me. I never needed it until Addie went on formula after she was 6 months old. None of my kids ever got diaper rash when breastfeeding. That mess (among many others) all came when the formula started.

I also like the idea about something for the moms and I'm still pretty gung ho on the idea of a gift certificate for some take-out for mom and dad. No one wants to cook after the baby comes! There are just those days when you don't have the time. If baby's fussing and it's time to cook dinner, baby always comes first.

If all else fails, you could get them each a $30 gift certificate to Target or something. My neighbor gave us a $50 Target gift certificate and I thought it was SOOOO generous. I needed only a crib mattress at that point and I was able to buy the top of the line one they had for $79 and it didn't cost much out of my pocket. I was very happy about that. No matter how much stuff you have, there's always more things you need or want for the baby.

I could go on with ideas for babies all night, lol. My house is totally in baby mode right now and is going to be that way for quite some time since we're expecting again in June.

If you search Diaper Cakes on the internet you will find pictures of them but I made one for a baby shower I threw. And I tied a single strand of light blue ribbon around the outside of it to hold the diapers together. I had a three layer cake and on each layer I had a peice of ribbon tying it together..It was very cute and a huge hit as a centerpiece.:)

This might sound like a dumb question but how are the diaper stay up? What in the center of the cake holding it up?:g_think:

on the plastic thing for the bottom you make a long row of diapers and roll it to fit the outer edge.then make a smaller row and roll up for the middle tie up a few more for the center it was for a shower i tied ribbon on the outer edges i used 2 different sizes not newborn but the next size and next size bigger sheended up using them,the bigger ones when the babys bellyutton was healing.you can use any size i think cause the mother will always need diapers

Not to sound ungreatful or anything, but you wouldn't believe the sheer amount of crap people give you when you have a baby. I had no idea until I had my daughter 9 months ago. People tend to forget about the really important things and focus and buying the fluffy stuff. One of the things people forgot to buy me were newborn socks...believe it or not, you can find really nice socks at dollar stores. Thats where I get all of my daughters socks. Childrens books are nice too. I was very happy when relatives got the baby books. I ended up with 7 nasal plungers.....onesis are always a safe bet too.

We have had four grandkids this year and a set of twins, I know one the things they did not get many of and really with they would have is photo books. That first year you take a picture of everything and if you know if they are scrapbookers you could do something for those. It does not need to cost alot most dollar store sell both photo books and scrapbook items. Also if you are close to them you could offer to babysit. Do something of a coupon book and trust me, they will turn them in!!

My favorite (and best received) baby gifts have been scrapbooks and "take out" gift certificates--it's huge to have a free meal that can be picked up.

I also include a little something for the older child, when there is an older child. Colored pencils and a tablet of paper are a big hit with childern and parents--and a 3 ring binder to save the pictures (kids love it) (crayons melt in the car--and I learned the hard way), an easy reader book, hair ribbons, just any little thing.

How about the things you normally have to go out and buy yourself when you have a baby, like Mylicon drops & Infant Tylenol.

I also have appreciated when people gave me bigger sizes in clothes (like 6-9 months or 12-18 months for the next year). It's nice to have some new outfits when your baby quickly outgrows the 100 newborn outfits that you have!

And I have to agree with diapers, but larger sizes are good for those too. (My last baby was 8lbs. 14 oz, so we skipped over the newborn diapers and 0-3 months clothes!)

Essentials and anything consumable (diapers, ointments, bath wash, Tylenol, etc.) is always a good bet. Clothes in biggers sizes are great, but I have amazon children and they never got to wear most of those things because they grew too quickly (thank goodness for gift receipts and eBay). Those square thin waffle weave blankets are also so handy - we used ours for everything and my son even adopted them as his lovey.

I like to make a basket for the moms with essentials and then one frou-frou item like a blankie or beanie or something.

I also agree with essentials. Tylenol, mylicon drops, alcohol and qtips for the cord, cotton balls and those kinds of things no one ever thinks about. I know when my son was born my husband had to make a trip to Walmart the night we came home for some of the essentials. Also I had one of the little caddys that you keep cleaning supplies in on the shelf on my changing table that I kept lotion, diaper rash ointment, alcohol, qtips and that sort of thing in that was real handy to grab while changing and have it all together. I always try to watch for coupons and sales as soon as I find out a friend or someone at church is expecting and pick up a small item or two whenever I go shopping and stock up. That way its not such a financial burden when its time for a shower. Also watch Target and other stores for clearance items, sleepers, tshirts, socks and everyday items like that are good gifts to stock up on to.