Your thoughts on Google Checkout?

alimfp

Just wondering what others think, good or bad?

I've only used it once. I made a purchase on Sierra Trading Post. I then found something on Amazon for cheaper, so I wanted to cancel one of my two items from STP. Called up STP and there was absolutely no way to do that, I either took the entire order (and sent the item back later) or cancelled the entire thing.

I understand why this is, but it still kind of irked me. I wanted that other item, but I didn't want the hassle of sending the item I didn't want back. So I cancelled my entire order, of course the CSR for STP didn't care and did it for me and basically hung up on me after that.

I like that you can save $$ with it, but it makes it a hassle to cancel individual items later on if you need too. So A- from me. If there was a way to do the above easily, I'd rate it A+.

Any ideas on when the $20 off of $50 and other deals when using GC will end? Or is it dependent upon each merchant?

If the savings deals ever end, I'm not sure I'll continue to use it. I've heard of other problems regarding GC (not that anything is perfect, I know - esp something that seems relatively new) a lot lately it seems.

Man oh man, I'm gonna hate looking at my credit card bill come Jan, with all the G_C_. I really like their ability to track on line the purchases made, and their status columns of being shipped. I've pretty much had G_C_ dictate what I purchased this year. 1) $50=40% savings, c'mon, no brainer!, & 2) If there's no free ship-I no buy (well-that's because I'm 85% done with purchases already at the tune of probably over $400 G_C_ savings). Threeeeee daysss left (at the most for the free ship though....

The deals end ????. For me it IS tough to purchase when the G_C_ http doesn't show up on some items. Back in Aug, some stores were honoring the 20/50, now their only offering the 10/30, and yep, some stopped altogether - and those stores I've revisted even up to last nite, with no purchase from them since they hadn't reposted the offer.

Oh, and G_C_ stopped connecting last nite & again this morning for a $50 purchase I attempted. NOT to start rumours, but remember when TRU stopped being able to process web orders in the height of their holiday season a couple years back? As a result they now rely on Amazon for the web-business. I HOPE, this hasn't happened to G_C_ !!!

I don't like it. There were too many problems with them not sending the orders in to TRU like they were supposed to, customer service- if you can call it that- is only via email, and it takes them forever to update any changes on your account. I don't think I'll use it again, at least not until some changes are made to it.

I used it with

Buy.com -- no problems at all

Eforcity.com-- total disaster, charged the day i made my order, have emailed them and google and get no answers

Sportsauthority.com-- no problems

Sierratradingpost-- no problems

But when the promotions are over, I wont bother using it again. Most of them end on the 19th of December.

Guest Deals4Mommy

I made my first purchase using Google for the Timberland website with the 40% off coupon Timberland issued. That was the 11th and so far no confirmation of shipment. Hoping the extra $10 off didn't cost me time in getting my items before Christmas.

Will keep you all posted, good or bad.

I personally am not happy .I am due a refund, and still haven't gotten it. I got a a form letter from them without any information pertaining to my particular situation.

I ordered from Timberland and Timberland cancelled part of the order. I was to be refunded, Timberland says they cant do anything about it and I cant get anyone to give me answer about Google. So I am out $30.00 right now. I may end up having to dispute the charge!

Hate It! I have placed two orders from Toys r Us using google. Neither order was placed from google to Toys r us. I got a phone number from toys r us for goggle and then all you get it a message saying you have to go to goggle online to email them. Well all I get is the same reply that tells me to call Toys R Us. Well Ok morons They didnt ever get the order from you. Major problems and I will NEVER use goggle checkout again. Lost getting 2 presents because of this!

Hate It! I have placed two orders from Toys r Us using google. Neither order was placed from google to Toys r us. I got a phone number from toys r us for goggle and then all you get it a message saying you have to go to goggle online to email them. Well all I get is the same reply that tells me to call Toys R Us. Well Ok morons They didnt ever get the order from you. Major problems and I will NEVER use goggle checkout again. Lost getting 2 presents because of this!

Ok I had the same proble mand finally talked to someone that was understanding after I basically said I am not getting off the phone until they give me my money back and fix my issue with them. This was like my 5th call of BS!! This girl apparently helped me and I should be refunded the money in 5 days or less. I will let you know how it turns out but I am wearry!! I hate TRU now will never order from them again :( BOOOOOOO TRU!!!!

I've used it 3 times. Twice without a problem and once with a problem through Aeropostale. I placed an order on Black Friday, they cancelled part of my order - one hoodie, so I emailed them through google checkout and told them to cancel the whole order which was just another shirt. I didn't want to lose the google checkout discount for being below the right amount and I didn't want to pay $6 shipping for one shirt. Well I received a form letter back from Aeropostale stating that if I wanted to contact them I'd have to go through their lines of communication and not google. Needless to say the order did not cancelled, they shipped my one shirt but charged the full amount for the entire order, including the hoodie they cancelled. I've called and emailed Aeropostale they say that they've issued google checkout a refund and that google checkout should be issuing me a refund, I still haven't seen it. I also complained about the way they handled the whole google checkout complaint thing and so they said they were working on the problem and offered me free shipping on my next order. I really just want my refund at this point for their overcharge. I'm still waiting though.

OH NO!!!!!! I used Google checkout yesterday for a Wii bundle from Toys R Us - I better go and check on it. :confused:

I use it a lot now, because for a merchant they charge 0%, I REPEAT ZERO percent for credit card.

Yes I looked into using the google checkout for our business, however you will only receive zero percent processing for an amount based on your advertising dollars. For every $1 you spend on advertising, you get $10 processed for free. At the point when you process above your "free" amount earned you pay 2% plus .20 a transaction - these rates aren't that great. With the "free" processing, it's more like you are paying 10%, then as a bonus you get advertising. Either way, IMHO, it's a bit much.

I want to use google checkout..have made over 30 dollars in purchases and I can't seem to use the google checkout..the option doesn't even show up...i thought that there was an option to use it i spent 30 dollars...to get 10 dollars off....or do i have to spend 50 to get 20 off?

It has to be a google checkout store. Both are correct, spend $30 get $10 and spend $50 get $20. But this is only good at google checkout stores. You can go to google to find out which stores do this.

so, there has to be a catch here somewhere, why would they take money off just for handling your transaction. I used it once with buy.com, but now I am wondering if I made a big mistake. I read the agreement and it said there were no service fees involved, but I still feel that I am missing something. Any comments?

so, there has to be a catch here somewhere, why would they take money off just for handling your transaction. I used it once with buy.com, but now I am wondering if I made a big mistake. I read the agreement and it said there were no service fees involved, but I still feel that I am missing something. Any comments?

My guess is this - any company that uses GC, when we (customers) use it, GC gets a percentage of the sales total. I think GC has their own web site promoting their checkout feature (how easy it is, how it keeps your orders in one place, yadda yadda) along with a list of co's that use it (I haven't looked, so I may be wrong).

It could be that, it could also be along with the above idea/guess - that GC gets co's to give up $10 here and there for better spots on Google results and/or on the GC web site.

Just a guess.

ETA: Or just read above.. ;)

I haven't had a great incentive to use GC. None of the places using it have anything I want. And honestly, I just knew there was going to be problems like the ones stated. This is also why I probably won't be using it. One less place that has my CC number and all that.

I'd like to hear more why people think this may be better than PayPal; besides the obvious % off some items GC allows. I use PP but am not a die-hard fan of it. I didn't want to use it either to begin with. But it's been fine all these years for me. Maybe GC will turn out to be a good thing...

I suppose that it's like anything else, some people are going to love it and some are going to hate it. I personally have used it 6 or 7 times without any problem and all of my packages were received in a matter of a few days (remarkably!)

I do agree with the poster who suggested that you not attempt to change or cancel your order once placed (as with any online purchase). I think you are just opening yourself up to potential problems.

Wow, 25+ transactions now. Someone's quote aluding to 'Buyer Beware pretty much hits it. EVERYTHING has been timely delivery! I did the math last nite: 25 (plus some more today), at either 10/30 or 20/50=$420 saved, (plus another $465 in rebates). I imagine as the days closer come, they'll be more complaints. And yes, I used at all the below stores without any complaints (so far):

Linens 'n Things, Buy.com, Soho Lighting, Jockey.com, Elegant Stitches ..., Netshops, Inc, eBags, Inc, Bestprices.com, Aeropostale, Inc, NuttyBug Internat..., Eforcity Corporation, Dick's Sporting G..., The Timberland Co..., & Backcountry.com. Y'know my sales history was reaal easy to get, another feature of G_C_!!!!! ('Kickin points in your post peptide).

I've used it a few times with no problems. I've never tried it with Toys R Us, though, and I should probably be glad for that. My Sierra Trading Post transaction was perfect. I've been doing business with Sierra for probably about 8 years and have never had a problem at all. I'd hate to see them lose customers because of Google.

I've had problems with TRU items being cancelled, but I think it's google's fault, not TRU's. Google puts the order in too late - it doesn't take long for those great deals to disappear! I've had to call TRU 2x and they were completely helpful each time (granted the hold time was long). I had them make a note on my account that I will get the sale price the next time the item is in stock. I just have to call and request it. They have made a "refund request" as well since Goolge charged me full price (while their system shows only a charge for the item that did ship). I have to say their customer service in my situation has been perfect. I'll be glad when the google checkout discount goes away so there's no more temptation to use it!