Mail Carrier Gift Card Limit?

I'd like to get our mail carrier a gift card for Christmas, probably one from a fast food restaurant. (I've seen him eating lunch in his mail truck.) I don't want to spend a lot, but I don't want to appear to be a cheapskate, either. What would be a good limit for something like that? Thanks for any help.

I read on the usps website mail carriers may not accept gifts in excess value of $20

however my crazy husband got the mailman a $25 gc to mcdonalds last year because the mailman eats there almost everyday.... the fact that I know that means we go there way too much too.

I read on the usps website mail carriers may not accept gifts in excess value of $20

QUOTE]

Don't believe everything you read...I know mailmen who get over $100 from 1 business delivery...it all depends on where you work.

I really doubt there has EVER been a mailman diciplined for accepting a "gift" over $20.

Give what you want to show your appreciation for a job well done, as many posts on this board show almost noone has a good mailman ;)

Funny sidenote...we received a card from our carrier wishing us a happy holiday. Then the next day, we received the neighbors postcard for their dog to visit the vet soon. OOPs :o

Thank you SO much for all the input! I momentarily considered getting our mail carrier a pair of roller skates, because he's a little slow sometimes, but then I thought that might be kind of tacky. ;) Guess I'll do the $20 gift card and hope he doesn't have to share!

Amberleigh, I hope you and your husband get lots of goodies!

USPS says $20 or more they are supposed to share it or something.

So a GC for $19.99 LOL!

I'd get my mail carrier one, but ours changes every 2-3 days. :( Some are great, some are terrible.

Same here, it always changes, so I just put a bag of treats (baked good) in the mailbox and whoever delivers that day can enjoy(or throw away if they wish)

My mailman is awesome. I have had several surgery's and if a package comes he rings the bell and then will bring it onto my enclosed front porch for me. Last year we got him a $20.00

GC, this year I think it will be slightly higher, he goes beyond his duty.....

I'm currently trying to become a carrier since I already did 4 years in Army, The only problem with my carrier is there's a different one everyday so I'm figuring they haven't got a full-time for this route but I will leave something for one of them.

If you took the battery exam, and scored well enough to get included in a hiring roster ( IF the USPS is hiring where you live), you can NOT be passed over if you are qualified...meaning you have all your limbs and no injury that would prevent you from working. Good Luck!

If you took the battery exam, and scored well enough to get included in a hiring roster ( IF the USPS is hiring where you live), you can NOT be passed over if you are qualified...meaning you have all your limbs and no injury that would prevent you from working. Good Luck!

I just recently took my DD214(military Hon discard paperwork) to them and now awaiting exam to take an exam. Veterans have 120 days after release what I understand to be eligible to take exams thats not being put out to the public. They are never hiring in the public which I understand is they mostly hire within and also my aunt is a post master in my area so I have a little chance after I take exam.

I just recently took my DD214(military Hon discard paperwork) to them and now awaiting exam to take an exam. Veterans have 120 days after release what I understand to be eligible to take exams thats not being put out to the public. They are never hiring in the public which I understand is they mostly hire within and also my aunt is a post master in my area so I have a little chance after I take exam.

I am glad to see not everyone bashes the PO and shows appreciation to their carriers.

I myself am a postal employee and I don't believe they are doing much hiring anywhere right now. You can have the test opened being a veteran just leaving the service, but good luck on getting a position right now. :smirk:

Even if you take the exam and pass. It might be months before you are called and IF there are positions.

As for a gift, anything from a $5 present to a $100 GC is fine. It's the thought that counts.

AND also for the numerous carriers on your street, apparently no one likes your route. Maybe too many dogs?!

Even if you take the exam and pass. It might be months before you are called and IF there are positions.

As for a gift, anything from a $5 present to a $100 GC is fine. It's the thought that counts.

AND also for the numerous carriers on your street, apparently no one likes your route. Maybe too many dogs?!

The reason for the different carriers is the original maybe on vacation or out and then a relief fills in.

It may be not a permanent route for anyone

That's exactly what I was thinking...it's probably an aux route. <---and that's where many complaints come from... no regular carrier = many mistakes.

And the Post Office wants to contract out carrier jobs. Good luck ever getting your mail that way. :(