"Family" gift ideas?

thogan

I need ideas for a family gift--my BIL, SIL and their 9 YO daughter. Ideas in the past have been Blockbuster movie basket, Amazon g/c, etc. We don't see them too often so don't know things they want/need, so I have to keep it fairly generic. I would like to spend no more than $50 and have it be something I could order online, since they are in another state. If not, then it has to be easily shippable. Not being in the same state presents challenges in that I don't know restaurants or other places they enjoy going.

Any suggestions?

I just ordered this myself for a friend and her family that live in another state. The Popcorn Factory has a special on their Jolly Snowman Tin Gift. It has things in it that adults and kids would like too. It is reg 39.99, on sale for 19.99 and there is a $5.00 off code that you can use too, it's SNOW5. Only came to 20.98 with shipping. It's a nice gift that you can order online and not worry about shipping yourself! Hope this helps :)

I just ordered this myself for a friend and her family that live in another state. The Popcorn Factory has a special on their Jolly Snowman Tin Gift. It has things in it that adults and kids would like too. It is reg 39.99, on sale for 19.99 and there is a $5.00 off code that you can use too, it's SNOW5. Only came to 20.98 with shipping. It's a nice gift that you can order online and not worry about shipping yourself! Hope this helps :)

How long ago did you use the "SNOW5" coupon code? I entered it and it accepted, but I didn't get my $5 off :(

Search online and see if there are any amusement parks or other family activities in their area. If so, contact them, let them know you're out of state buying a gift for someone who lives in their area, and see if they offer tickets that can be used for any date or gift certificates that could be cashed in for tickets or other merchandise. You could have these mailed directly to them, or have them mailed to you so you can personalize the gift a little! :)

Along the same line, another option is to search online and find out what stores, restaurants, etc are in the area. Then buy gift certificates from maybe a couple different ones, like a $35 one for a nice sit-down restaurant and two or three $5 ones to a fast-food place (if in doubt, stick to nationally-known and/or chain restaurants, like Applebees, McDonalds, etc). You could even include a note saying the $35 one is for the parents, and the fast-food ones are for the daughter! ;) Or get gift cards from one or more of the larger retailers in their area.

I really like the Netflix idea, too! Or if you know they love music, how about a gc from an online music store? HTH!

board games was my suggestion, or if they like books, get them a small collection that they could read together. I went to Borders Express today and got some GREAT deals!! What about a collection of photos or even a pre-made scrapbook of both of your families that you could add to and send back and forth so you could know them a little better?

Thanks for all the suggestions, you have definitely given me some good ideas. I particularly like the board game idea--does anyone have any recommendations for something that adults and a 9-YO can play together? I would assume they have the classics.

Hasbro is running that great rebate on all board games. We don't have hardly any of the classics. at 9, she is at the transition age. Monopoly Here and Now, Operation, Battleship, Perfection, etc.. Operation, Sorry, Life, Battleship, and many others are $8.00 each at WM and qualify for a $3 MIR on each game. Let me know if you need help w/ details and I'll try to get them for you.

Board games are good or even DVD games...i would also opt to something local for them such as the amusement park or maybe they have a local skate arena. If they have a pottery store where they pick out what pottery they want(they have items for female and male), paint it, they leave it there to fire in the kelm and they pick it up a week later.

Movie tickets coupon book for their local theatre.

Local photo place...JCPenney, Sears, etc for a family portrait that they could send out pictures