What do you give your mail lady or man?

migirlfriday

What do you give your mail lady or man?

I have a mail lady who has been delivering my mail for 4-6 years. I usually just leave her a small gift on the last mail delivery day before Christmas. This past year I have received many many freebies and packages that she has had to leave on my porch. I feel like I should give her a little more this year to compensate for all her work.

Not a darn thing! Half the time, it's a substitute carrier and we NEVER know what time the mail is going to be here. We've gotten it as late as 3:00 in the afternoon. The mail carrier also broke the flag off my first mailbox -- she hung a heavy bag on a PLASTIC mailbox flag because she was too lazy to bring it up to the porch!! I left a little note for her the next day....:mad:

This is the first year we've actually had a good mail carrier. Actually, she's great. I had the same problems with our last carrier hanging heavy bags on the plastic flag and called the post office numerous times complaining. She would even hang boxes of books on there! Our flag broke a lot and packages always ended up in the ditch!!!!!!!! Anyway, I never got her anything, but will definately buy something for our new carrier. I think I'll probably give her a pair of those soft socks from bath and body works as well as a bottle of lotion and body wash. I may make up a nice package of cookies for her too.

Our mail person is very nice, but can use improvement in some areas. I was thinking of a card and a small box of cookies.

Now the UPS man, are they allowed to accept gifts? I did just about all of my shopping online this year, and for a while the UPS man was stopping everyday! (He even stopped once out of habit and I didn't even have a package.) I wanted to get him something so I will be watching this thread for ideas.

:holiday02

Dh is a mailman- a good one:)

He's gotten baked goods, boxed chocalates, fancy choc covered nuts, GC to local restaurants and fast food places, even Walmart and grocery stores. He's also gotten wine, warm gloves and socks(he's a city carrier and has a walking route hence cold weather items)nice pen, food gift baskets like Hickory Farms, and cash.

Mostly cash tho. And we like cash:D

We give cash... $20... except for last year we gave $0 ...we kept getting misdeliveries. The regular had retired and we had many different carriers. All is back to normal now, so maybe this year it will be $20...or maybe $10 and some goodies :)

I live in a very rural area. So no walking,actually he beeps the horn for us to come to the truck if he has something too big for the box. Si I usually give food ,snack items. Fruit if not freezing weather or baked goods. Once in really cold weather I even put a small thermos of hot chocolate. He brought it back later w/a thank you note.

My mail lady is a psycho!! Where we live we have this huge mailbox that is divided up

by little locked boxes and she delivers the mail by unlocking the back of the unit and

loading in the mail. If you approach the mail boxes she starts yelling "step away from the

mail box, it is against federal law to approach this area when your letter carrier is here

delivering the mail" and she keeps repeating that mantra over and over.

I noticed that in the spring she hadn't been the carrier and I asked where she was and

the mail man laughed and said someone backed into her and she is out for awhile. He

said "yeah, she is a real whack job isn't she?" Anyways she is back and is as psycho as

always. I have new neighbors and the lady said to me "is there something not right with

that mail lady?" It is pretty funny.

So no she will be getting nothing from me or any of our neighbors I am sure:giggle:

PS

She also refuses to deliver anything to your door and just leaves a note to pick it up

at the post office. She also refused to pick up canned goods when they had a food

drive for the needy. There was a flyer that the post office workers would pick up any

can goods/non-perishables left in your box....not her apparently!!!

Well in years past we have given GC's. This year our mail lady will get a big fat NADA! She is a wench. We have been at it for about a year now. The last time I reported her about something she did she called at 7 in the morning on a Saturday to give her explanation. No sorry or anything. She makes me crazy to say the least. :gdno:

Ours is really nice. One time my husband was working on his motorcycle and the mailman walked right up to him with a package and said " Hi I think you might need this". It was something for his motorcycle. He's always leaving packages for us by the back door under the carport. Thanks for reminding me about getting him something.

Nothing because our mail always goes to everybody else except us! She does a lousy job!

We have the problem with mis-deliveries too. Plus I get everybody else's mail in my box.

Two years ago, as Christmas was approaching, I went to get the mail while our mail lady was delivering mail to our boxes (we have multi-boxes like tokanm described).

Out of nowhere, she starts telling me that postal carriers can accept gifts from people on their route with a value up to $25.00! Uhmmmmm, excuse me!!!! I never offered to give you anything. It's not a "gift" if you suggest it. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Angry/shock.gif

Talk about TACKY! http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Angry/nervest.gif

I think that I'll get my mailman thermal shorts so he can wear shorts ALL year long. :D:holiday08

I have no idea what I'll really get him. He's really good about putting any big packages on my back porch so no one will mess with them. He was nice enough to put several heavy trunks that hubby shipped home in the building for me also.

Well, I have several diff mail people. One lady is super nice, always delivers by 10am, sweet as can be. Then we have the Funny Farm mail man....ugh, dont get me started on him. Then another lady who could care less. We get other people's mail, and about half of our own. If theree was a way to know who was coming when, I'd love to leave something for the 1st lady.

well nothing after the nasty note he left me in my mailbox about putting the garbage can too close to the mailbox....hrm, didnt stop him from making a HUGE rut in my LAWN to left of the mailbox.....

In NY I would give my mail carrier cookies..he actually had to walk up to the house to deliver the mail.