Was it like this last year?

Diesel0312

Reading all the post BF threads on here and it seems a lot aren't very happy with the way it went this year. Most seem to be upset because more people got in line early before them and they couldn't get what they wanted. Was there as many people complaining about this last year or is it on a larger scale this year?

Last year was my first BF. I went to walmart about 3 hours before opening and stood in line for the laptop. I was one of the last people to get one, even though there should have been about 8 behind me who got one, people up front had brought friends and family in at the last minute. This year I went to CC around 7:30, was 3rd in line, and camped out til 5am. I had a much better time this year.

Reading all the post BF threads on here and it seems a lot aren't very happy with the way it went this year. Most seem to be upset because more people got in line early before them and they couldn't get what they wanted. Was there as many people complaining about this last year or is it on a larger scale this year?

Last year was my first BF. I went to walmart about 3 hours before opening and stood in line for the laptop. I was one of the last people to get one, even though there should have been about 8 behind me who got one, people up front had brought friends and family in at the last minute. This year I went to CC around 7:30, was 3rd in line, and camped out til 5am. I had a much better time this year.

Welcome to the community! This BF was not like last year. The ads officially were released by the respected stores early, the media did alot of stories on BF and becuase of that people started to line up much early. It used to be 6pm on Thursday would get you in the first 5 but this year at 6pm you were number 100.

At my local Wal Mart, it was different. Since they had no layaway, there were not as many people as there usually are. I got my PCs and Printers. DH brought his pick up and took them home. I then went back in and got all of the other stuff that was on my list.

Most of the complaints I have hear about BF this year are due to the lack of jaw-dropping deals.

I work at BB in the computer department...when people were asking about BF ads/specials in the 2 weeks prior to BF, I told them the truth - there would be some good stuff but not jaw dropping (and yes, I found out what our ads were via these websites and got a little more info the Sunday before BF), and that if they were buying for themselves/their families, they'd be better off spending a little more now and not dealing with the craziness (and also having someone have time to spend with them). I also gave them full information that if they wanted to camp out, that they should arrive in line at our store no later than 8 pm on Thursday night to ensure that they would receive their items.

I did see some of the people I "warned" during the week, and they were very happy that I gave them the heads up. I also had people who came in on Sat, Sun, and today who intentionally skipped the doorbusters.

To address the quote above - all the major retailers - BB, CC, etc, do not make money selling computers, period. The business is really cutthroat, and the reason we carry them in the first place is because "everyone else does" and our customers want them. So, keeping that in mind, the computer and laptop business is so margin-thin now that we simply aren't able to do jaw-dropping deals for BF.

Fortunately, my store is excellent on crowd control management, ticketing the doorbusters, etc, so everything ran relatively smoothly.

I agree this year's ads weren't as good as previous years. Last year we got home around 4pm, this year we were home by noon. (We have to drive about 30 min to get to any good stores.)

I did get a few good deals but I spent quite a bit less this year and unlike last year have a lot more shopping to do.