Gift baskets for parents

My parents are impossible to buy for! They are the ones that just go out and buy whatever they want, do not really go out to eat, dont have any hobbies and my mother is not real girly to wear makeup, or like beauty things.

I was thinking of making them up a gift basket this year (either one big one together or individual ones), but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what to put in it! My step father does like to fish, but he has enough fishing supplies that he could open his own store! I was thinking of adding some household things for my mother like towels, smelly things, etc. but I also wanted to add some personal things. Does anyone have any ideas on what to put in this basket? Gift cards wont really help either since they would have to be small demoniations and thats just not worth it. I'm trying to keep it under $50-60 combined. Thanks!

Do they have any pictures of them when they were dating and when they first got married? For my in-laws 50th anniversary I gathered some pics from my husband and his sister and a couple others and made a photo collage. I found a really great frame at Kohls that had a big place in the middle for a 5x7 picture and then around that there was space to put more pictures in if you wanted to. (it was like frame, then glass, then the 5x7 frame, if that makes any sense) They loved it and you really can't get too much more personal than that. Maybe you could do something like that and make it the main thing in the basket and then add some filler stuff around that. (like the towels, etc) Just a thought :)

My parents are impossible to buy for! They are the ones that just go out and buy whatever they want, do not really go out to eat, dont have any hobbies and my mother is not real girly to wear makeup, or like beauty things.

I was thinking of making them up a gift basket this year (either one big one together or individual ones), but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what to put in it! My step father does like to fish, but he has enough fishing supplies that he could open his own store! I was thinking of adding some household things for my mother like towels, smelly things, etc. but I also wanted to add some personal things. Does anyone have any ideas on what to put in this basket? Gift cards wont really help either since they would have to be small demoniations and thats just not worth it. I'm trying to keep it under $50-60 combined. Thanks!

CYBER MONDAY deals @ WalMart included the Starbuck & Mrs Fields gift baskets (both under $20)

LOL that's my mom!!!!!

This year I got her a deep purple terry cloth robe from Sears and a beautiful amethest circle pendant with chain also from Sears. That's her birthstone.

I hope she likes it. I know I would.

Good Luck.

I do a gift basket for my folks sometimes--this year I'm going to as well.

I put in lots of food/snack items that they love and other things--like a certain kind of olives, flavored gourmet coffee (they love coffees), chocolates, essential oil soaps, certain kind of hot sauce, movie tickets (they enjoy movies), tea, calendar, etc. I'll just see different things when I'm out and about that I know they like and I'll buy something here and there.

I started doing it from my grandma too--she loves dried fruit, nuts and teas--and always loves getting practical things that she would buy anyway.

What about an ice cream sundae basket. I made one once for my dh's aunt and uncle. I bought pretty sundae glasses, a nice scooper, and toppings. I got hot fudge and caramel topping from See's Candies( yummy) but I am sure you find some at a candy store near you. You could add money for the ice cream or a gift card from their grocery store.

I also have made rice pillows for my family. just a small bag of muslin filled with rice, then a " pillowcase" to go over it. Heat it in the microwave for 3-4 mins till heated through. It works as a heating pad. We love them and they are really cheap.

Do either or both of your parents enjoy spending time in the kitchen and/or at the grill? A couple years ago, we shipped my uncle a basket of herb and spice mixes from a local herb grower (he'd tried them at my parents' house and loved them!), then added in a couple little cookbooks, towel, trivet, etc. He still orders spices from that place, he loves them so much! LOL

Another kitchen-related idea (if you live close enough to them and can be a little sneaky ;) ) is to collect favorite recipes that they've written down, cut out of magazines, etc. and compile them into either a recipe box or cookbook (I've seen some premade ones with sleeves like photo albums, so an actual photo album should work too, just add your own tabs/dividers).

Something I did for my mom, sis, and sis-in-law 2 years ago was made up a basket full of several different homemade "mixes"-- such as homemade biscuit mix (like Bisquick), individual mug-sized cake mixes, soup mixes, hot chocolate mixes, spiced instant tea mix, and chocolate-covered plastic spoons (for stirring and flavoring hot beverages). You can find TONS of these type recipes on the web, and they don't have to look all fancy like the overpriced mix in a jar things you find in stores! :) I tried to customize them somewhat, like gave the chili mix to the one whose family likes spicy stuff and made individual serving size containers of some "just add water" soups for ones that work in an office so they could take them for lunch. Yes, it was more work than I'm used to putting into gifts, but I know I put more thought and effort and heart into those gifts than all the others combined!:fluffy: [if you don't have the time to make your own mixes though, you can gather up a small collection of store-bought foods you know they like but would rarely buy for themselves.]

I too have trouble buying for my dad, but every year, I try to watch for something that he hopefully wouldn't think to go out and buy for himself, but that would help him. My dad fishes also and doesn't need any fishing stuff-- but what about stuff that would make it an easier/more comfortable fishing experience for him: a comfortable seat, a small cooler to keep his lunch or drinks in, his fishing license for next year (if applicable), a gas card if he has to drive a long distance to his favorite fishing spot, maybe even information about a new fishing spot you think he'd like to try.... I'm sure there are other fishing-related things, but these were off the top of my head!

HTH!! Let us know what you end up doing! And BTW-- I did the sundae basket for my niece, her hubby, and 2 young kids last year, and it was well recieved, too! :)

If they enjoy hot teas, Market Spice-Redmond WA, makes an excellent tea. It can be purchased direct from Market Spice (800-735-7198) or on Amazon (type in MarketSpice teabags). Box of 24 is $6.00; box of 50 is $10.50. Market Spice honey in a jar is also good.

I do a gift basket for my folks sometimes--this year I'm going to as well.

I put in lots of food/snack items that they love and other things--like a certain kind of olives, flavored gourmet coffee (they love coffees), chocolates, essential oil soaps, certain kind of hot sauce, movie tickets (they enjoy movies), tea, calendar, etc. I'll just see different things when I'm out and about that I know they like and I'll buy something here and there.

I started doing it from my grandma too--she loves dried fruit, nuts and teas--and always loves getting practical things that she would buy anyway.

I do this for my grandmother also. Just lots of food/snack items that she would not necessarily buy for herself, but she really enjoys. I get them from a local bakery that stocks Amish food items. :gdlicklips: I also get her a few B&B Works soaps.

LOL that's my mom!!!!!

This year I got her a deep purple terry cloth robe from Sears and a beautiful amethest circle pendant with chain also from Sears. That's her birthstone.

I hope she likes it. I know I would.

Good Luck.

My mom and stepfather are super hard to buy for and I bought them both robes, too. When we recently visited (they live 1,200 miles away), my stepfather was wearing the robe and I could tell that he uses it daily. :)