Sewing machines

left210

All the one on sale so far on BF are really good starter machines. I like the kenmore at Kmart myself but the Brother at Walmart is a good one too. I have a $5000 sewing/embroidery machine and I am thinking about buying one of those myself for small sewing jobs as my machine is just huge and converting it from embroidery to sewing can just be a pain. I'll probably get the brother one at walmart though since Kmart is a ways away and my embroidery machine is a Brother and I have had one of those sewing machines before and it did hold up really well. I just got stupid and threw the old one out to save space when I brought home my monster. LOL Good luck, I'm sure she will love whichever one u buy.

Get her a good one. Not the cheapy kind they will only frustrate her and she will never sew. Check with your local sewing shop they might have some good quality trade ins.

I totally agree! I know others will say otherwise, but I swear by Singer (although they have cheapies, too). I have had my electronic machine for about 25 years, it was one of the first ones out there, and it is still going strong. I have only had one thing go wrong and it was minor adjustment. I just take it in for a good cleaning and overhaul about every 3 years and it's like the Energizer bunny.....keeps going and going. I have done TONS of sewing on it, everything from sheer fabrics to heavy denim and it works great. Even fleece didn't stop it when it had tons of lint in it. I just took the bottom off and cleaned it out a bit afterwards so that it didn't build up too much.

The cheaper ones out there now are mostly plastic and look really flimsy. I would go for something that is made better and it will last her a long time.

So, I am hoping to get a sewing machine for Christmas from my hubby for Christmas, I even dropped the not-so subtle hint that Wal-Mart had one on BF. But, I know absolutely nothing about them and just want one for odd around the house jobs. Will this hold up for that? Tried looking for reviews on this machine but had no luck finding anything. Hoping someone out there has some info for me that I can pass along to my husband, in another not so subtle way :D

The starter machines work great. I used one for 10 years.

She's 14, I'd go with the $49.99 Singer @ Meijer or the $55 Brother @ Walmart.

The Meijer one is on sale Thanksgiving day so you could buy that just in case you can't get the walmart one and vice versa.

Trish

I bought the Singer for around $89 at Walmart about 7 months ago and I love the ease of use. My other machine, that hubby bought about 8years ago for $400+, was a nightmare to use. The tension was never right and it constantly tangled the bottom thread. UGGGH. I think it is a Brother but right now it is in the bottom of the closet covered up with a least a half dozen things! LOL All the projects that I have put off for the last 2-3 years are now done!:D