Buying the day before then returning on Black Friday to get difference?

rdtsmith

I read this somewhere online and now can't find it. I would just like to know if anyone has ever tried buying an item the day before (or days before) it was heavily discounted and then returning on Black Friday and asking for the difference back? I know that at one time, many years ago, I bought a video camera at Best Buy, saw that it went on sale a week later, and they honored the discounted price and gave me the difference back. This was not during a holiday week though.

Has anyone ever done this during the holidays? Does a store have to have in writing somewhere that they will not honor a price difference? Or does it just happen?

I did that last year at compusa for an external hard drive- no problem. This year I've already bought a 1 gig sd memory card at CC for $60- and they told me I could return it on bf (price after rebates then is $3). It's not a huge item, but I think they'll probably be gone by 6am on bf.

Are you saying then (from your experiences), if it does not specifically say on your ad that you cannot return previously purchased items for a price difference on Black Friday, you should be able to do this and the store would have no legal way of not honoring the price difference?

I would think too, items that are already in store shelves, this would be a good way to purchase those items and then to concentrate on true doorbusters or items the stores put out just for Black Friday?

I would imagine that this is up to individual store policy. Some stores will not give you the difference if an item goes on sale after purchase. Some stores give you 7 days. I would call the store you're planning on visiting and ask about the policy. I wouldn't let the store know that you "know" it's going to be on sale. I would just ask if you purchase an item and it goes on sale will they give you the difference back.

Does TRU do this? They have the Cinderella GBA game and Urban Reign PS2 game I want. Wonder if I buy it now then price adjust on BF? This way I don't have to rush there and miss other deals at the other stores

I did this a couple years ago at TRU. No problems then, but you do have to get there during the sale hours.

I did this last year at Target. You just have to make sure it is exactly the same thing they will sell on Black Friday. I tried to do it last year with the Doodle bear. They had special ones for black friday that had a bonus and they wouldnt adjust the regular one. Just a reminder!:D Great idea and timesaver!

So then the doorbusters are those items that they have very limited quanities of AND only put out on Black Friday? What exactly is the definition of a doorbuster?

Doorbusters are the items in a given store's circular that are available for sale for a 5-hour (or so) time period, such as 5 am-11am, that sort of thing (vs. all day). Sometimes there are only a few available at that price.

I was in Target today and they had the 7" under counter LCD with DVD player and the Jensen ipod clock radio featured in the electronics department. It is the same models that are in black friday ad. I asked girl at customer service if I bought item and then it went on sale would they refund difference and she said as long as you have receipt and it is within 14 days of purchase.

I was in Target today and they had the 7" under counter LCD with DVD player and the Jensen ipod clock radio featured in the electronics department. It is the same models that are in black friday ad. I asked girl at customer service if I bought item and then it went on sale would they refund difference and she said as long as you have receipt and it is within 14 days of purchase.

Hmmmm. I was at Target and asked the same question and they told me it had to be within 7 days.