Need Ideas for 11 year old child who has everything!

My son is spoiled - extremely - but he knows it. He has a HUGE heart & realizes he has everything on earth. All he ever asks for lately is books.

I thought I was finished buying for the kids, but then I found out that 2 of our foster kids have been chosen to receive over $200 worth of toys from an agency. We are not sure what exactly they will buy, but we were told that maybe a scooter, Heelies, etc - over $200 of TOYS plus they got all of the clothing sizes & we were told they normally buy TONS of clothing as well.

I hate for it to be so unbalanced, so now I am at aloss for what to get my son to "even" it up - we had already bought tons of gifts for the other kids as well.

So far, they are all getting:

Portable DVD player (some kind of fancy headphones, bag, DVD case, etc)

DVDs (2-3)

GameBoy Games (3 each)

Books (2-3 SETS each)

Travel games

MP3 speaker pillow

Jigsaw puzzles

My 11 year old is also getting:

scooter

some GameCube games

I guess I should say, we do NOT do gift cards. He will also get gifts from his dad, but I have no clue what he will get there since we never see him.

He has PS1, PS2, Nintendo 64, GameCube, 3 different types of GameBoy (no DS or DS Lite, but he says he does not want one), Xbox, & a PSP. He has bikes & skateboards. He has a computer & all the software he has ever even mentioned liking. He has an IPod & still has downloads he has not used.

The only thing he has ever asked for & not gotten is the FlyPen, but he has not mentioned that in a long, long time - since before his Bday in April. He does not like to get clothes for gifts.

I have bought all the books he has asked for and he is so darn picky about his books - he reads on a 10th grade level in the 5th grade.

Darn it, he is tough!!!!!!!

Christy

its a good idea..but she said no gift cards so that will make it hard.

i know ill get slammed for even thinking of suggesting this but... maybe split stuff up that you planned to give to the others and give it to him,, i know the poeple/agentcy who are giving to your foster kids wanted to have them get a fair share.but if they get something that your son might like give him that...(its not like you didnt get for all the kids the same.you bought for the foster ones too)

or go get him the fly pen thing,, or a book shelf.

He seems like a well rounded kid with technology. I love the idea that he wants books. I wish more kids asked for books.

You should be able to tell what his interests are. I love catering to interests. Especially those that help expand the mind.

If he likes a certain movie genre get him some box sets. Or sets of books to his liking.

The magazine subscription idea is great. It'll keep him waiting for his next one.

Don't cop out and get this kid toys. He deserves something more rewarding, even if it means it isnt as flashy as other gifts.

I am trying to get him to give me some more ideas - for books or magazines - so far, no dice. He likes to read sci-fi or fantasy. He just finished the Lord of the Rings Trilogy & is reading something about dragons (I think).

He has most of the stuff mentioned. This kid was an only child/only grandchild until 3 years ago - he is still the only child for his dad's family & the only grandchild. I guess I really should not worry about it being "even" since he has what is more important - a stable family, but we are planning to adopt the other 2 kids as well, so they have us, too.....

Maybe a magazine subscription. Dh mentioned the Discovery internet science subscription, so maybe something like that.

My MIL is knitting all the kids an afghan & my parents are going to get him a rifle (against my wishes). I think he is getting a new laptop from his other grandparents, etc. So like I said, it is not like he will be without anything - this is just divorced Mommy guilt..........

Christy

I'm not sure where you live, but could maybe you and him take a day trip somewhere? I'm not sure how that would go over with the other kids - but as a present maybe a daypass to a museum exhibit or a concert?

An autographed book?

A musical instrument?

A star that he can name himself?

Stocks? Or set up an account with so much money and let him pick his own stocks?

Sounds like he has similar book interests as my boys...there are 3 Eragon books out (actually #3 is either just released or will be soon). There are also 3 books in the Inkheart series. . All 6 of these are fantasy/dragon books.

He may also enjoy The Bartimaeus Trilogy or the Artemis Fowl books

1 more series...Dragons of Deltora

My sons are 10 and 13 and both of them have read these.

Hope this helps

A telescope is a good idea. My son got one when he was 10. He still loves it.

A metal detector is always fun. (thinking of interesting gift ideas lol and your son sounds like mine by the way)

CSI science kit or lab toys

Smithsonian toys are also interesting. My son has about 5 of the sets. He loves them

my ds is almost 12 and we have the same problem (he is spoiled do to grandparents tho)

anyway this year he wants a remote control car,books,new shoes,jeans,and a game for his ps2.

I like the idea of a magazine subscription. My ds got this one year from my grandparents and loved getting mail just for him once a month.

Thanks for all the ideas - I bought a series of books (now I forgot what they are & I have wrapped them) and I am thinking about buying a couple of video rockers, but not sure.

If I can find out that the new book in the Eragon series is coming out before Christmas, I will get that - we have the first 2. He is reading one of the books in the Inkheart series now. I love to buy books, but his tastes are so different form mine & he is so fickle - he did not like the Artemis Fowl books at all.

It may not matter - if the playroom is not cleaned up this week while they are out of school,

I am cancelling Christmas!!!!!!