mp4

pmdemey

MP4, a.k.a. MPEG-4, is dvd-quality audio/video file format, like the way that MP3 is CD-quality audio. An MP4 player is basically an iPod that plays MPEG-4 videos and movies. Pretty neat how it works the same way when you buy a song from iTunes: You buy a movie while connected online and it downloads to your iPod/MP4 player. :shock: Don't actually have anything like that (yet) but it's pretty kewl stuff. :yup:

The Creative Zen Vision (original, M, and new W) both support mp4's - which are also known as DivX videos. I own an original and that's one of the formats I can convert video files to.

So does the Toshiba Gigabeat, I believe, also the Archos player/recorders, and so will the new Microsoft Zune.

I love the Zen Vision although it's not really small and it's not really light. But the picture is great - and the 30 gig drive hasn't run out of space even with lots of my Tivo'ed stuff and 80-some albums. The ZV original is a 3.2" or so screen, the M is a tiny 2.2" screen, and the W is a 4" screen. The M is a little too small to see clearly - about the same size as the ipod video. I haven't seen the 4" screen, but the 3-something is the same size as a normal PDA and I don't have many problems with seeing things unless the original picture is really dark.

• 3 weeks later...