Ethical Question on pricing at WalMart

OK, was at WalMart early this morning and I happened to notice they had the wireless XBOX 360 controllers incorrectly stocked and priced. They're supposed to be $49 but were in the wired controller home at $39. The WalMart just recently went through a complete makeover and everything got moved so I'm sure this was just a slip up by one of their employees. Soooooo, do I go back and call them on this and make a fuss when I take it to the register and it rings up at $49?

:yup: or :no:

I'm leaning towards the :yup:

I once got some pj's for my daughter at Old Navy for $5 each. The regular price was $14.50 but they were hanging on a rack that was clearly marked 2/$10. There were lots of them on the hook so I knew that they were put there by an employee, not a customer. Well, they rang up as $14.50, I tell the cashier that the sign clearly says 2/$10, he says that's not possible but I'll go check. When he came back he apologized, said that the sign was put on the wrong hook and gave them to me for $10.

Did you get my answer out of all of that. Get them for $39.

If they have the price marked wrong make sure you get them to give it to you for that price, half the time at walmart they are too lazy (at my local store anyway) to freaking fix the problem afterwards anyway. I also love the way that they have the rule if the price scans wrong you get $3 off or if item is less than $3 you get it free I always cash in on that when they make a mistake

Usually WM is good about pricing mistakes, long as they're the ones that did it. If it's their mess-up where an employee tagged the stock wrong or placed 'em in the wrong place, make the associate at the register do a price check and they'll give it to 'ya for the better price. Plus, you'll alert 'em to the mess-up so no one else gets that price but you :D. Go for the :yup:.

I was in TRU this past weekend, and found all kid's shoes off 50% on a rack. They had several different kinds, decided to pick up a pair for my 4 year old. When I check out, it charges full price. I ask about it, the manager says that those pair are not included, they are a special value, because they end in 7. She said they knew about it a couple of days ago, I asked why they were still on the shelves marked 1/2 off. She said she hadn't had time to move them! Needless to say, they didn't honor the price, which is ridiculous.

I was in TRU this past weekend, and found all kid's shoes off 50% on a rack. They had several different kinds, decided to pick up a pair for my 4 year old. When I check out, it charges full price. I ask about it, the manager says that those pair are not included, they are a special value, because they end in 7. She said they knew about it a couple of days ago, I asked why they were still on the shelves marked 1/2 off. She said she hadn't had time to move them! Needless to say, they didn't honor the price, which is ridiculous.

This drives me crazy... isn't it false advertising and illegal? It happened at Mc Donalds for me... the manager didn't see that a sign was up, then when we pointed it out, he said "That shouldn't be there. It's old." Then pulled it. No sorry, no price correction, nothing. I was STEAMING mad. My husband didn't want to bother, but I was ticked :curse: :curse: :curse:

Joanne

Guest JeepMom

I thought that was illegal to do? I wouldn't think if a customer did it they would have to honnor it but if the employee did it they should.

What a load of garbage!:cheesy:

To the OP,:yup: do it!

If the controller had the same sku number, was actually labelled with the sku that rang up the price of the wired controller then yes wired controller price.

However, in Walmarts I have seen, they hang on a peg. On top of the peg is a sign with the upc/sku and description plus the price. If the tag on top does not match the product, why would you get it for cheaper? BUT if the tag matched the product but just said wireless, if the numbers were the same, then yes, 39.99.

If the controller had the same sku number, was actually labelled with the sku that rang up the price of the wired controller then yes wired controller price.

However, in Walmarts I have seen, they hang on a peg. On top of the peg is a sign with the upc/sku and description plus the price. If the tag on top does not match the product, why would you get it for cheaper? BUT if the tag matched the product but just said wireless, if the numbers were the same, then yes, 39.99.

Exactly.

It's not my fault the employees can't stock the merchandise correctly. Is it the customer's responsibility to match sku numbers and upc numbers on all tags? If WalMart hangs an item on a peg and puts a price on it I want it for that price. Simple as that.

I gotta agree there. That's wrong and just borderlining illegal to consumers. Looks like it's time for a lil' phone call to corporate. :mad:

I agree BUT having taken a business law class a couple of years ago I found out it is NOT illegal. They do not have to honor it by law BUT most places will because it is a way of keeping the customer happy.

It's not my fault the employees can't stock the merchandise correctly. Is it the customer's responsibility to match sku numbers and upc numbers on all tags? If WalMart hangs an item on a peg and puts a price on it I want it for that price. Simple as that.

I don't even know what to say to that...

You knew it was an incorrect price and you more or less knew it was on the wrong peg under the wrong price tag with no matching upc numbers and/or sku and you still thought you should get it for the less price?

IMO, then what would stop people from moving things to another peg and then pointing it out to the management. Or, why even move it? Why not just say, hey, found this on the cheaper price peg.

Today I was walking through a grocery store (not working, shopping) and an older gentleman stops me and asks..what is the difference between these decaf coffees? Both same brand name but one was 3.99 and the other was 9.89. The 3.99 was a sale price for the 26 oz container. The 9.89 one was 39 oz. But someone had put a 39 oz container in the 26 oz area. Who's fault is that? Should the store not allow customers to touch the product because they can easily put it back in the wrong place?

Must we lock up all merchandise and have no prices on it until it is scanned?

But someone had put a 39 oz container in the 26 oz area. Who's fault is that? Should the store not allow customers to touch the product because they can easily put it back in the wrong place?

This wasn't one controller put back on the wrong peg by a customer. This was 5 or 6 controllers filling up an entire peg. All surrounding pegs were also full so it was obviously stocked this way by an employee of WalMart. Again, if WalMart hangs an item on a peg and puts a price on it I want it for that price. Simple as that.

Any customer could have moved 5 or 6 items to the wrong peg. I think ethically, it's not Walmart's fault. It's the stocker's fault. By law, I would think that the price of the product is binded to the price that the sku has on the database and a peg with that sku.

Still, no harm in asking Walmart to honor it. The worst that can happen is they say no.

This wasn't one controller put back on the wrong peg by a customer. This was 5 or 6 controllers filling up an entire peg. All surrounding pegs were also full so it was obviously stocked this way by an employee of WalMart. Again, if WalMart hangs an item on a peg and puts a price on it I want it for that price. Simple as that.

Again, if Wal-Mart hangs an item on a peg and puts a price on it I want it for that price. Simple as that.

So why did you ask the question in the first place? From this it sounds like you were looking for affirmation/justification for what you had already decided to do.

So why did you ask the question in the first place? From this it sounds like you were looking for affirmation/justification for what you had already decided to do.

LOL I was just going to ask about the same thing. Sounds like from your last couple of posts that you feel you were entitled to the lower amount already, so why ask? -just wondering!

According to walmart policy, you would get it for $39. If there is more than 1 incorrect item in that slot, it is considered a pricing error. Also, a little known fact is that you will get $3 extra off if something is scanning the incorrect price. They usually won't give it to you unless you say something about the pricing guarantee. There should be a sign hanging in the customer service desk with info on it. Of course look for small print! If the cashier or anyone gives a fuss, ask for the csm, if they give a fuss go to management. They have to give it to you for that price. See I knew working at wally world would pay off one day!