Can you take a laptop and use it in your car?

motoXmom

I don't know much about computers so please take it easy on me for asking. I was thinking about taking our older DS laptop with me on Black Friday to maybe do some shopping online or checking GD while sitting in my car before anyone else shows up. Now how do I do this? Do I need something to be able to use it in my Explorer? I've never done this so I have no idea. I've seen people with laptops in their cars before in parking lots- doing what I don't know but I know I've see it. Can anyone help me -in laymens terms! ;) He has a Dell if that makes a difference!? lol

Thanks!

Oh and one more question is it ok to leave it in a truck like that if it's really cold outside? Will anything happen to it? I don't want to mess it up.

Guest Frieked

You will need a way to connect to the internet, either a Wifi hotspot or a wireless card from verizon or something.

Other than that your only concern is running out of battery power unless you have a car adapter.

Personally, I don't know how comfortable I'd feel leaving a laptop in a vehicle once it's time to go in and shop.

If any theives saw you using the laptop in your car, then saw you go in a store on BF, they'd know you'd be gone for a while and your car would be prime pickins for a free laptop. Bust a window, snatch and grab and it's all over folks...

<--- Personal experience: I had a window busted out in a parking lot in Philly when someone decided to steal an old boombox I used to use because the car had no tape deck. I had taken the boombox from the passenger seat, put it on the floor and covered it with an old blanket. Someone must've been watching my car! http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Angry/vent.gif

It is possible. Either (as someone else said) be in a wi-fi hotspot, or use your cell phone as your dial-up. We use Alltell and Motorola phones, I've a cable that hooks my iBook to the phone, and software. It's very easy for me...but then I never take my computer shopping!

I'd be concerned about someone seeing that telltale blue glow and then taking the computer when you went into the store.

There is NO WAY I would take it. A guy that was behind us in line last year had a portable DVD player and movies with him all night. Then he threw it in his car on his "potty break". We ran into him in the parking lot and he was with the police filling a report. His window had been smashed and someone had taken his DVD player and his movies. They think someone saw him throw it in his car and waited for him to go into the store to grab it.

As for laptops w/o internet service:

You can still bring your laptop without internet service. You can use it to play games, do work, or whatever else to help pass the time.

As for laptop theft:

My former vehicle (a Saturn sedan) had the ability to secure the trunk so that items there could only be accessed by using the key in the trunk. If you have this setup, then you could go with that.

As for laptops in the cold weather:

Keep in mind, however, that it is inadvisable to let the computer sit in the cold for an extended period of time and then boot it up. You should wait 90 minutes after bringing it back into the heat before starting it up again. (The reason is that the cold switching to heat can create condensation on your computer hardware, and water and electronics don't mix. Giving the 90 minutes allows that moisture to dissipate.)

OK well it's stayin' home! lol I was thinking about using it before anyone gets there, like last year it was a couple of hours before anyone else showed up. But you all are right it's not worth the chance, you just never know who's watching you ( and now I'm offically creeped out! lol). Duh what was I thinking?! Thanks guys!

You can get car adaptors for your laptops that plug into the cigarette lighter for power. Far as internet access, probably have to have cellphone service with a compatable phone PC card or the proper phone cables. To keep it safe you can put it in the trunk or somewhere else nice and safe. Maybe even take it in with 'ya and have a manager put it behind the customer service desk or something. Never EEEEEEEEEEE-ver leave it in your car, even if you think it's covered up.

I plan on takin' mine with me to the waiting line at the WM where the wife works. We've already talked to the boss. They're gonna set up a tv or two around the line so we can hook up the old laptop (the one from last year's BF we're sellin' to my aunt) and all of us in line can watch DVDs while waiting for our new BF laptop. All six Star Wars movies should just about cover the wait. (That's 12 hours :shock: )