>>> Official Black Friday DVD PLAYER Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

This is the official thread for Black Friday related discussion of DVD players, regardless of if the items are actually in ads or not.

This post will be updated with information about DVD players that appear in Black Friday ads as they are released.

As this thread will likely get very long, if you are responding to a specific question or comment, please quote that post to keep the thread easy to follow.

If you are looking for a deal before Black Friday on a specific DVD player, post in our Deal Finder Service board and others can help you out.

If you are looking for gift suggestions, please post in our GottaDeal Gift Finder board.

Threads posted about DVD players in the Black Friday Discussion forum will likely be merged into this forum, so to help out the admins and mods, please keep all discussion in this thread.

===================================

Ace Hardware Curtis 7” Portable DVD Player w/ Accessory Kit (Limit 2) $69.99

• 4 weeks later...

I need more $20 DVD players. You won't believe this but our pricey Sony died so were using the $20 one I got for the bedroom and the Kid's Dora one died so were using the other $20 one I got cause they were so cheap. My moms pricey sony 5 disk changer died but her $20 one is still going strong lol. PLUS I have noticed my cheapo DVD players tend to not care about region codes will play anything including anything I burn while my pricey ones were picky. Go figure right lol

Mara

I am looking for a portable DVD player capible of having two screens & headphones. I have two kids and would like to have the screens hang from front seatbacks.

Anyone have information on these?

Do these DVD players also play music CDs?

Thanks.

Stores should have car DVD players w/ either one or two LCD screens for BF. They'll be able to play music CDs, and most seem to even come with video games.

• 2 weeks later...

High definition discs are still a very niche market at this time, so do you think there will be any big sales on black Friday?

I was going to wait out the format war with Blueray but HD-DVD has such a big head start, cheaper players, and an over-all better selection of movies.

I don't think these will be on sale at all until the beginning of next year. The technology is too new. If they are on sale, it will be insignificant. There won't be any door busters on HD-DVD or Blue-Ray Drives.

That being said, I will wait anyway until the standards get ironed out a bit more or one technology or the other takes a clear lead.

I recently got an upsampling DVD player, and it was worth every penny. I bet there will be some good deals on those this season.

I don't think these will be on sale at all until the beginning of next year. The technology is too new. If they are on sale, it will be insignificant. There won't be any door busters on HD-DVD or Blue-Ray Drives.

That being said, I will wait anyway until the standards get ironed out a bit more or one technology or the other takes a clear lead.

I recently got an upsampling DVD player, and it was worth every penny. I bet there will be some good deals on those this season.

With the 2nd generation of HD DVD players coming out before Christmas, I was hoping to see some Black Friday deals on existing stock of Gen 1 units. The Toshiba HD-A1 is already available online in certain places for around $350-370. I wouldn't rule out a BF deal on the HD-A1 for something between $300-350. But who knows.

With the 2nd generation of HD DVD players coming out before Christmas, I was hoping to see some Black Friday deals on existing stock of Gen 1 units. The Toshiba HD-A1 is already available online in certain places for around $350-370. I wouldn't rule out a BF deal on the HD-A1 for something between $300-350. But who knows.

It is possible I suppose.

But I doubt that you will see many deals in the B&M stores. Definately nothing of the doorbuster sort.

I don't think that it will be the case that one standard will take a clead lead. I think that they will go the rout DVD+R and DVD-R went with players able to play both standards. Samsung is currently working on one. I think you will have a major movement when that happens. Most people are hesitent to buy right now for fear of owning a player that goes the way of the Betamax.

Blu-Ray is more expensive, but with the PS3 coming out for $500 with a built-in Blu-Ray player, that's going to give a big boost to Blu-Ray (yes, I know the premium PS3 is $600, but the lower model still has Blu-Ray and isn't that crippled compared to the low-end Xbox 360).

Yes, you can add HD-DVD to an Xbox 360 for just $200, making it the same price as the PS3, but not everyone who has a 360 will get the HD-DVD upgrade. Everyone with the PS3 has Blu-Ray.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me, I'll either have a player for each format (if I keep a PS3 and get the HD-DVD upgrade for my 360) or I'll wait for a player that handles both. It's a bit different from the betamax vs vhs wars, it wasn't possible for there to be a player for both (unless it had two separate mechanisms, ala a dvd and vcr combo).

Personally, it doesn't matter to me, I'll either have a player for each format (if I keep a PS3 and get the HD-DVD upgrade for my 360) or I'll wait for a player that handles both. It's a bit different from the betamax vs vhs wars, it wasn't possible for there to be a player for both (unless it had two separate mechanisms, ala a dvd and vcr combo).

I agree that the difference between the Betamax vs VHS wars and the Blueray vs HDDVD is that it is possible to create a player that will play both formats. I think that most people will wait till players come out that play both formats because they don't want to be stuck with a machine that only plays half the HD movies out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the difference between the Betamax vs VHS wars and the Blueray vs HDDVD is that it is possible to create a player that will play both formats. I think that most people will wait till players come out that play both formats because they don't want to be stuck with a machine that only plays half the HD movies out there.

Agreed and also dropping the price to the sub-$200 range.

I am looking for a deal on a DVD player/recorder to go with our HD plasma tv. This is what I want:

DVD player/recorder dual deck with VHS and I want it to have Upconverter.

Will such a thing exist on BF for around $200? The best deal I have found is a JVC unit for $229.

Portable DVD players needed here too. Two of them to be exact. I am torn now between Ace Hardware and Best Buy. The ACE store near us is locally owned, I think, so don't know if they will have a BF or not. Or if they will even have them. Best Buy is two hours away from me and not sure yet that I will even be able to purchase two of them by myself. I have always done Wal-Mart on BF but to get a good deal on the players, I thought I would shop around but this is confusing.

The $30 dvd player at bestbuy should be the number one target for this reason.....it has DIVX included for the same price. For those not familiar with DIVX, it allows you to watch movies that have been downloaded from the internet in the comfort of your livingroom! Divx takes video and compresses it so that a 4gig video is now 700mb, and storable on a single cd. The video quality is still outstanding, and your TV shows purchased through the internet can be burned to a single dvd for archiving, watching, whatever you need these files for. I only wish a divx player was in the portable section! Now that you have a taste of what Divx can do, go get one and double your fun!:yup::g_dance::gdthums::woot2::g_thumble

Quick help anyone? We have an OLD DVD player (2000 -- ack!) and my dad, who's well-meaning but electronically clueless, bought us a Coby portable model so he could show us his recorded home movies on DVD. Well, it read the format fine, but it's such a cheap-o model that it's already not working half the time. So we need a real DVD player -- not a cheap one, preferably upconverting, and one that will read all the DVD flavors (well, not HD -- we don't have a TV worth worrying about that).

I've checked the ads and just don't see one that looks decent for a decent price. Plenty of portables -- don't need 'em. Plenty of not-so-well-thought-of $20/$30 ones that don't appear to support DVD-R AND DVD+R ... And then there are $100-plus ones that are too much.

Any advice? TIA!

Looking for a portable DVD for 2-year old grandchild. Is Audiovox better than TruTech? Any suggestions or advice re. best brands. Target looks like the best bet thus far...but I'm open to suggestions. Hope someone out there has the time to answer this....I'm one confused granny!! Thanks