What store are you going to first?

alimfp

Great question! I'd love to see everyone's response to this.

With $434 in Best Buy Bucks to spend, I'm definitely going to Best Buy first. My sister wants a digital camera and DVD/VCR combo for Christmas, and with good doorbusters for both of these at Best Buy, it's a no-brainer for me. Office Max, JC Penny, Sears, Radio Shack, Target, Media Play, and Staples are all also on the tentative itinerary for me (not sure of the order yet -- and JC Penny is probably just for the free snowglobe).

--Mark--

What's a doorbuster?

I'll be going to Target first to try to snag some DVDs. I can't really see anything I need at BestBuy. I'll be heading to Costco at some stage and maybe Toys R Us!

But if I see something really good in the paper on Thursday, I might change my mind :

The term "doorbuster" refers to sales that are only good for the first part of the day, and are generally really good deals (and on Black Friday you pretty much need to bust down the door to be able to get them).

--Mark--

Doorbusters are also the sales that bring in the customers. When someone hears of a sale where laptops will be $499 and CD-Rs are free they'll sure as hell show up to check it out.

Me, my brother, and one of his friends have made up a plan to fan out over the stores (Best Buy, OfficeMax, CompUSA) with each of our shopping lists and buy all the items we want from those stores for eachother. That way we all get what we want. Then we'll just go over the receipts and pay eachother whatever money we owe eachother and sort out the rebates.

Doorbusters are also the sales that bring in the customers. When someone hears of a sale where laptops will be $499 and CD-Rs are free they'll sure as hell show up to check it out.

Me, my brother, and one of his friends have made up a plan to fan out over the stores (Best Buy, OfficeMax, CompUSA) with each of our shopping lists and buy all the items we want from those stores for eachother. That way we all get what we want. Then we'll just go over the receipts and pay eachother whatever money we owe eachother and sort out the rebates.

Good point -- the doorbusters lure the customers into the store, and while they're there, they spend money on all the other sale items.

I wish I had a team like you. It will just be my brother and me (he might bring his girlfriend along, but that wouldn't make any difference as she'll want to be by his side for the entire day). And while we can split out in two different directions, that's not enough to cover all the stores for the free trinkets, FARs, and other specials that we'd like. But oh well. You work with what you've got, right?

--Mark--

CompUSA is probably first - that 200GB hard drive for ~$96 is hot. (And I'm quickly running out of space on the drives I have.)

After that, who knows...I already bought myself a digital camera last month, so I don't need that (and the BF sale ones tend to be low-end stuff anyway). Also bought myself a DVD burner last month (and 100 DVD+R discs today), so don't need that. Picked up a photo printer in September. Supposedly having a 2001FP monitor coming soon, so don't need a flat panel on BF. The only other "big" item I was considering was a laptop - but I don't think I can swing it now (just spent $650 on the monitor, which I'd use quite a bit more). Not to mention, the deals aren't that great as far as nice laptops. I suppose I'll hold out hope for another insane Dell deal like the one last month that I missed out on. Then again, there's still the issue of "how much would I use it?"

Anyway, we'll probably stop by Best Buy later in the morning (i.e., after camping out at CompUSA if that's where we end up first) - at this point, the most attractive items to me are the 24 Season 1 DVD's ($13 or so) and the Man on Fire DVD (like $10). Isn't it sad that I actually have money this year, but there aren't any really compelling items on BF to spend it on? (Besides the hard drive, I guess.) You could argue though that I've already spent my money in the past month or so. :)

It's also possible that we might head up to Fry's in Austin (short ~70 mile drive) if they have any nice deals there too. But I guess it'll be Thursday before we really know what we'll be doing.

synth

before you get to excited about that 200 gig hd, its not really that good of a deal...

You can get a one for about $112 with free shipping and no tax from www.zipzoomfly.com...same brand maxtor, probably same or similiar item...and in serial ata format instead of the old ata 133... computer products/hardware are almost always cheaper or similiarly priced with sale items online....but if you dont really know much about computers, then by all means buy it from the retail store instead so you can return it if you have a problem...

best places to buy computer hardware online

newegg.com

zipzoomfly.com

buy.com (nice list of rebates here)

DH is heading to Office max for as many of the ~Western Digital 200GB Hard-Drive - $49.99~ as we can get, up to 4 we're hoping. i'm planning on going to best buy for the 24 season 1 set and alladin. but that could change i don't really see too much i want from best buy. so i might go to walmart instead for the trampoline/enclosure the spongebob table set and

~the cheap $3.99 dvd's, good christmas presents for the people not at the top of my list~. :)

I'm going to Kohl's first--they open at 5:30 and I want the vacuum cleaner, maybe the steam vac and a couple of the Cabbage Patch Dolls for my little nieces and some clothes for the other 2 nieces. Then Probably Office Max, although Staples is right next door to Kohl's.

I will probably go to Kohl's, get the dolls, and the vacuum then go to the other stores and come back to Kohl's LOL

I'm still not sure where I want to go first. I ve seen a few ads scanned I guess I'm still waiting to see the target ad. My daughter really really wants a new bike this year. We bought her a bike last year at walmart and someone in the neighborhood stole it and messed up the tires then threw it in a ditch. She was so heartbroken. So I might have to head to walmart first and get her a bike.

Lisa

I'm all about the toys. I think KB will be my first stop. We will be away from home so I've scoped out a mall with a KB and Disney Store. They also have a Toys R Us in the parking lot of that mall. ;-) So we will be hitting the Toy Stores first. I didn't even see the Kohl's ad but now I have to go back and look because we are after a blonde haired, blue eyed little boy Cabbage Patch. It's been months that I've been looking with no luck. Of course when I find him his name will probably be Peach Pear. LOl

Kohls! They have a 3.0 MP digital camera for $69.99 and the Leapster extreme pack which comes with 3 games for $89.99. Plus, I need two Luv Cubs, and even though they are the same price as most early bird sales (24.99) they are giving $10 gift cards for every $50 you spend. That is about $40 in gift cards that I can use later. :)

Meijer first here.. they have a 5" personal DVD player for $88.77 that'll be good enough for my 5 year old to watch. After I also get a couple of the coffeemakers they have for $4.44, I'm heading for Walmart for the Leap Pad at $20.00, then Radio Shack to wait for the Portable DVD Player w/ 7" LCD - $129.99 for me. :)

synth

before you get to excited about that 200 gig hd, its not really that good of a deal...

You can get a one for about $112 with free shipping and no tax from www.zipzoomfly.com...same brand maxtor, probably same or similiar item...and in serial ata format instead of the old ata 133... computer products/hardware are almost always cheaper or similiarly priced with sale items online....but if you dont really know much about computers, then by all means buy it from the retail store instead so you can return it if you have a problem...

best places to buy computer hardware online

newegg.com

zipzoomfly.com

buy.com (nice list of rebates here)

I appreciate the advice, but I'm already quite well-versed in the art of online hardware purchasing. :)

And actually, CompUSA's sale tomorrow has a 250GB hard drive for $99, which is even hotter. And yes, it's ATA 133 instead of Serial ATA, but that's not a big deal to me since it's not like being Serial ATA magically makes the drive faster. :P