Do you think Toys R Us will stay around??

leasey

I used to love TRU, but now there are 2 reasons I won't go there first for my toy shopping.:no:

1. You can't return anything without a receipt. If you dont have a receipt you cannot get store credit or even switch for the same.

2. Today I found out that they consider every toy with a battery electronics, which meansthe majority of their store falls under their electronics refund policy! Which means that you have 45 days to return instead of the normal 90 days. So Christmas purchase will be over the 45 days.

My mom made a comment to the cashier that this will be hurting their business and she said it already is.

Just wondering what you all thought??

I think their return policy stinks! Especially at Christmas time- Gift receipts are nice but if anyone is like me- I never include them in with presents... I guess I just never think about it! I had a hassle with the electronics return because of it being day #46! IT was ridicilous! I am definitely trying to stick to WalMart WHERE I can return things easily! I like the selection at Toys R Us but it's my last resort these days!

Guest Frieked

They have already closed most of the TRU around where I live.

There used to be 4 within 15 miles of me, now I only know of 1 that's still left.

They just aren't the same as they were years ago. Years ago when my DS was little, they had a complete train section with scenery and buildings you could buy and just tons of toys. Now, it seems their inventory is not very good at all.

TRU's new return/no return policy is definitely going to turn away a lot of customers. Although they displayed the new policy prominently at the time of the roll out, my guess is that the average Christmas shopper (not us BFers) does now know about the policy. But then again, there's only 1 TRU left in B'ham so most people are doing their toy shopping at Target or Walmart.

I had this problem too. I had purchased some items for the baby and then decided that I didn't want them and tried to take them back and they would not return them not even for a gift card and I had already registered with them for my baby shower so as you can imagine I did not put that in my invitations because I dont want to chance someone buying me something from there and giving it to me without a gift receipt. I told them they are going to lose a lot of business

I gotta agree, TRU doesn't seem nearly popular as it was. The layout of the store has change and it's very strange, not easy to navigate at all. I think if they don't start catering more to their demographic and make it a "fun" place again,( and I do remember the train section too!) then i think they maybe singing their swan song soon.

I think it depends on where your ToysRus is at..the one in Dublin is pretty good...navigating is easy. there for a while it was a disaster..it was poitnless going there..nothing new or stocked...but they had great clearance items tho..but now i think they got it going on...so i hoping they do turn around. If they go under...Target and Walmart's toy prices are going to jump....just a guess

I recently went to TRU to find a gift for a child and I couldn't find anything. The shelves were almost bare and it looked like they didn't stock properly or that they just don't recieve enough product.

Have you tried to return anything at Target? It's just like TRU at my Target.

My Target will return anything. Once someone returned bakery bread from Albertson's to Target! Stuff we don't even sell is back on the shelves taped up in the red tape that they use when an item is returned.

Another thing I hate is all the *trash* they try to pass off as clearance merch. If you find a great deal on something with a battery marked as clearance...DON'T BUY IT! I bought a ton of those watches that are made like rope bracelets for birthday gift throw-ins, but not a single one worked. :(

I started noticing our TRU going downhill when they put in a clothing line.

I rarely get to ToysRUs and rarely buy stuff there, but I got my NintendoDS Travel case there back in June. I got a copy of the new return policy then. If anything will hurt them, it'll be high prices. Or lack of carrying products that other stores have in stock. Things like that.

You'd think they'd remember that some people buy gifts ahead of time for Birthdays or Christmas and won't be able to return the gift within 45 days.

Being an ex TRU associate, I can give you guys a little in sight. The new CEO of the company is Jerry Storch. He is formally from Target. His game plan is to eventually run TRU like Target. All the Target stores in my area will not take anything back without a receipt. However, both stores have the ability to check their computers and reprint a receipt for merchandise that is paid for with a check or a credit card. All you need to do is give them your numbers. As for returns on electronics, the only merchandise that is classified as electronics are the products purchased in the RZone section and DVD's. If the service desk tries to refuse your refund ask for a manager and if that doesn't work call 1-800-toysrus. And I won't shop there anymore either they treat their managers and associates like dirt.

I normally do my TRU shopping OL, but the nearest TRU is about 15 miles away and just went through a renovation. In the renovated store, the baby department has like tripled in size! The store is very well stock. I got some great deals this past weekend with their addnl 20% off clearance coupon. I agree, a lot of the clearance items are "trash" but I was able to find some great things.

But to answer your question, I'm not sure. Have they parted ways with Amazon? If they have, I wonder why.

This thread reminds me that I want to call tru and complain. My DS got the $3 birthday giftcard and picked out a slinky for 2.99. He wanted to pay for it himself like a big boy with his gc. But they would let him because the gift card was for 3.00 and they said that he had to spend 3.00 in merchandise not 2.99. Now we are only talking 1 cent here, why couldnt they override it for him? I was still gonna have to pay sales tax. TRU better shape up!

I was told last year that the Pixter I was buying for my son had a 45-day return policy on it, because it was an electronic toy. So I'm not at all surprised that they're still classifying toys that way this year.

I do hope they stay around, though. They have a huge selection here, whereas Walmart and Target don't. I prefer to shop for toys at Walmart because it's closer and their prices are lower, but a lot of times Walmart just doesn't have what I'm looking for--and TRU always does.

This thread reminds me that I want to call tru and complain. My DS got the $3 birthday giftcard and picked out a slinky for 2.99. He wanted to pay for it himself like a big boy with his gc. But they would let him because the gift card was for 3.00 and they said that he had to spend 3.00 in merchandise not 2.99. Now we are only talking 1 cent here, why couldnt they override it for him? I was still gonna have to pay sales tax. TRU better shape up!

That is so mean! I cant believe they did that. Now I like them even less:mad:

Definately call them.

I love TRU. There are 3 with 20 minutes of me. And one on my way to work. ( I think it's the main store)

During the 12 days of christmas event last year I was out every night enjoying th edeals. I hope they do that again. It's the least they can do since they got rid of the green tag clearance. Which was awasome.

That is so mean! I cant believe they did that. Now I like them even less:mad:

Definately call them.

I called them and all they said was that it is a coupon and it says 3.00 off a purchase of 3.00 or more. I said it should say something about before taxes. And in reality they would have been making 1 cent since I was only spending 2.99. And they gave me a BS line about the manager couldnt have done anything about it. I shop ALOT and managers can override pretty much anything. So screw you TRU!