>>> Official Previous BF Pricematching Experience Thread <<<

Brad

Hi everyone - new to the forum but an annual BF junkie! I am going to call my local WM. I live in a rural area and needless to say we have WM and that is it! The closest Target, BB, etc. is about 40 miles away. I went to our store a few years back (my last BF trip there) and PM about 10 video games in electronics - no problem. Got to the front register with my $10 Easy Bake Oven and the CSM refused to PM. I very politely told her that was fine (I did not have to have it) but that she should check with her manager for consistency because I had just PM 10 games in electronics. We have new management so hopefully things will be better. I have went down on Sunday morning to PM a game, movie, etc. I have seen in the sale papers and they will tell you they are out of stock on that item (I overheard a discussion between 2 associates regarding pulling the items that were on sale at KMart). Needless to say I don't shop at our WM very often.

P.S. - Have never had problems PM in the Knoxville area.

Is it possible to buy the BF doorbuster HP laptop at BB now and pricematch it on thanksgiving day?

Not likely for two reasons:

1) The BF laptop will probably have a special model number even if it has the same specs as another one they sell. They will not price match unless it is the exact same item. They do this to keep the BF items separate and to keep quick thinkers like you from working the system.

2) You have to go to the Customer Service counter to do the price adjustment. On BF the Customer Service counter will be used as a regular checkout until noon (when the special price is over). They do this to help the checkout lines move faster and...to keep quick thinkers like you from working the system.

In the past people have done this, but the stores are catching on. I was succesfull on that last year at Staples on some small items. I tried to do it on CC's laptop as well, but it didn't work. I knew exactly what model was going to be on sale from the leaked ads. I went to the store a couple days early and acted like I was browsing cluelessly. I found the BF laptop model behind glass under the counter and told the sales person "I want that model." They had no idea what they pulled out of the case and would have sold it to me, but the computer gave them a price of $9,999. Obviously I wasn't going to pay that, so they called a manager over who said, "Sorry, we are keeping those until Friday." Busted! So I came back at about 9PM Thursday night and I was first in line.

Here is a question: I just bought a shelf stereo system for my daughter for Christmas at Circuit City (yesterday). Now, I've seen Best Buy's BF ad and the same system will be $30 cheaper on BF. Circuit City's price match guarantee extends for 30 days, but it is a bit vague. Anyone have any ideas whether they will match the price? Thanks.

I did all of my price matching at Walmart, I had everything on Lay Away all I had to do was get my receipt adjusted...

Then I price Matched the 10 Oz Jars of Maxwell House For 1.99 from Walgreens at Walmart..

To bad thi year there is no layaway price matching.

I have to go to Kmart... :yuck:

Me too the coffee was Maxwell House with a limit of 3 on each for Walgreens add, Dh took 3 and I took 3 My dad was Very Very Happy when we got home... :fluffy:

The only store I could price match last year was Walmart. I took advantage expecially on the Walgreens ad. Got the instant coffee for 1.99 regularly $7 and the revon lipsticks. Also got price matched on some toys.

Okay, a very long reply about PM at Walmart. I'm surprised so many people say their local Walmart stores may not PM on BF. This will be my 6th BF working at a Walmart supercenter. Remember that price-matching is a CORPORATE policy... not a store-by-store or manager's-whim policy. Walmart stores do have specific rules to follow regarding PM and front-end employees, CSMs, and managers have to take the same exact computer training course(s) on that subject.

OK, so maybe some employees remember the PM policy better than others but they all have to pass the trainining on it & the computerized system keeps track if someone hasn't had the training by a certain deadline. Then store mgmt gets in trouble so they make sure everyone's getting all their training updates. Trust me, there are price-matching issues pretty much ever 20 minutes at our WM... I get asked to settle a bunch of the disputes. I'm still amazed at how many front end employees (including CSMs AND managers) don't understand the PM policy 100%... and it's not THAT hard. Although to be fair, different members of store management do give different interpretations to employees all the time.... we have to re-train some of the mgrs. on it sometimes & show them the written policy. :-)

On top of that, many of the employees seem afraid to make a decision on their own, even about a 50-cent price difference... so they drag a CSM over for petty PM questions because they feel they can't go out on a limb on their own. I don't have that problem. LOL I know the corporate PM policy and mgmt. never questions anything PM'd by me.

The last Walmart training course on PM specifically said that customers DO NOT have to have the ads to PM items. Yes, that's a written corporate policy but that's found in an internal document and not something stores post publicly. As some managers have told me before, it's up to Walmart to have their competitors' ads on hand, not up to the customers to bring the ads in. But good luck getting most employees to go along with that, especially any of the managers! Pretty much everyone at WM is going to ask you for the competitor ad. But that's because there are a LOT of people who try to scam the stores every single day over all kinds of purchases. And you know it's like with so many other things... a few people ruin things for everyone else.

Walmart's PM rules have been mentioned in this thread already... and they do not change those rules for BF or any other big sales.

No B1G1, B2G1, or any similar deal.

No % off

No instant rebates

No get $10 in free groceries if you spend $50 kind of stuff

No matching of store loyalty card ad prices (you may get lucky on this though)

Ad must have a specific price on it... not vague like 30% off an unprinted price

Ad for generic brand grocery items can be PM'd for Walmart 'Great Value' generics

You don't have to prove another store has something in stock. If it's in the competitor's ad, it's assumed the item is in stock and you could go buy it there instead of Walmart.

We don't use a mileage range for nearby competitor ads... but I don't think there's anything for or against that in writing and you may hear different individual store policies about that. You may have luck with 1-800-walmart asking if stores can set their own PM-matching mileage policy. We're in a suburb in major metro area so many competitor stores are very close and it could be handled differently in a smaller town with few competitors. Kind of curious to know if each store can decide about PM mileage radius for themselves though.

Some PMs may require someone with a key for approval. This is because the registers automatically request a CSM if you're doing a PM for something that's a significantly lower price. It used to be when your PM price was discounting more than half the Walmart price or if it was more than $20-30 difference on a big ticket item. That actually just changed very recently and sorry but I can't remember exact amount now. I think it still asks for key-turn if PM is more than half off the Walmart price but now a PM on big ticket item won't ask for key-turn up to $100 in price difference. (I think that's the new amount but it's so new I haven't seen it come up yet. LOL) Of course, a cashier still may drag a CSM over if they don't know the policy well or are afraid to make a decision on the issue.

Don't feel guilty 'holding up' a line to get a better deal. It's not your fault if a cashier is a bit rusty on that stuff. As a matter of fact, you should nicely mention it to store management so they can get that person some remedial training! It's not your fault the person behind you in line is glaring because they think there should never be anyone ahead of them in a line. Be polite but firm about your PM ad prices. Always better to be helpful about it than overbearing... it's that old honey-vs-vinegar thing.

Question about the supercenters that are open all night - I know they won't let you put the items into your cart til the stores open, but can you shop for the items from the other ads that you are planning to price match and put them in your cart?

Yes, you can put the things that you are PMing in your cart before hand. They dont let you get their BF stuff untill 5:00 though. At my store they have black plastic wrapped around everything and cut it @ 5:00. They do hand out maps though so you can figure out where you want to stand. I usually take my brothers with me and we split up. :)

I have had experience with this in the past WalMart and Meijers will do this just make sure you have the add also remember if the store is a 24hour unless it is a morning only special the day after begins at 12:01 am. I have done this in the past and had the best selection of items! Happy Shopping and Good luck to all!

I did the pm last year at walmart and had no problems...works out great and cuts down on time. Also if you go to 24 hr store (walmart/meijer) before they start their early birds you can get the items that you want to pm and have them in you cart before the earlybirds start. Just remember you have to buy them during the time frame they are offered.

I live in a town where the only store is walmart(no kmart,CC,BB and so forth)and I asked two different managers about pm and the said they wouldn't because they have no competition.(the mayor and city council must be in walmart back pocket)So I will just get up extra early and go to the next town.It stinks to live in a small,backwoods town.

I live in a town where the only store is walmart(no kmart,CC,BB and so forth)and I asked two different managers about pm and the said they wouldn't because they have no competition.(the mayor and city council must be in walmart back pocket)So I will just get up extra early and go to the next town.It stinks to live in a small,backwoods town.

Read Post #105

They HAVE to PM, it is a corporate policy:2cig:

Bad News....I was just at a BB an hour ago and asked the manager about price matching on BF and they said that BB corp just revised there policy to put in a BF clause that will forbid people from price matching on BF. The manager showed me an email that was sent out from the VP of BB.

Bad News....I was just at a BB an hour ago and asked the manager about price matching on BF and they said that BB corp just revised there policy to put in a BF clause that will forbid people from price matching on BF. The manager showed me an email that was sent out from the VP of BB.

IMO, that's good news. That will ensure that they won't be out of stock on any items at 5am! People that buy the Fri-Sat sale items a couple days early take the fun out of BF morning!

I always price match @ Walmart. I get there early with my other ads and find a manager and ask with ads in hand. I never have any problem. I get there at about 3:30 a.m and go ahead and get the things I am price matching so all I have to do after blitz starts is go to the check out line. Sometimes there is a certain item that can only be gotten at a particular store and then we have to go to that store as well. My mom and I have been using this system for years and last year we were checked out of WM by 6:20 :smart:

BTW, I love this idea.

I priced matched some dvds last year at walmart. Had a small hassle b/c they were so much cheaper than they normally are. Sessions 1-4 of 24 for under $25, but after they checked the ad a few times...they gave it to me.

I try to price match at walmart as much as I can. This way, I know I will get what I want and not have to worry about the store running out before I can get there. Plus if it's a really good deal, walmart will match and beat it anyway.

FYI .. Just noticed on Best Buy's BF ad it states:

"Best Buy's price match policy does not apply to items in this ad and is not valid on prior purchases."

I guess Best Buy is definitely out of the price match picture for this year --and-- it appears they will not refund the difference if you purchased the same item within the last 30 days.

:(

Greedy butt heads!! :yuck: