Super Walmarts - Do they close for Thanksgiving and then reopen? < merged >

BFQueenofNY

Two years ago we could shop all night if we wanted but we could not touch any items on the pallets. Last year they decided it was too hard to watch all the grabbing hands and didn't have enough employees to spread around so they closed at 1 and opened back up at 5.

Here is my 2 cents, they close both sides at 2 am. From 2 to 6 they move all the "HOT" items into the center aisles pallet after pallet. Then at a quarter till they get ready to reopen. A word of advice, go with someone, and stand at opposite entrances. They open one side at a time and it is usually the longer line. We are experts at this. Wife and I hit the 3 major stores and never get left out. But rest assured it is all chaos and mayhem.

Here is my 2 cents, they close both sides at 2 am. From 2 to 5 they move all the "HOT" items into the center aisles pallet after pallet. Then at a quarter till they get ready to reopen. A word of advice, go with someone, and stand at opposite entrances. They open one side at a time and it is usually the longer line. We are experts at this. Wife and I hit the 3 major stores and never get left out. But rest assured it is all chaos and mayhem.

Ours stay open, they change where they put things every year, One year Everyting was in Lawn and garden, it was nice because you could put blitz things in your cart but couldnt leave lawn and garden till 5:00am. That only lasted one year as people didnt think that was fair.

Last year I was 9th in line for a lap top and I got there at 1:30 Am, Grabbed a chair and there I sat with the others in sporting goods. while my kids grabbed the blitz items at 5:00am, What I cant stand is the people who wonder up at 5:00am and try to get in the front of the line to get ahead of those who have waited so long

I agree with you. People breaking in line makes me mad. If they want an item bad enough, they should have to wait like the rest of us. I shop in Fayetteville, Georgia at a Super Walmart. They are open so you don't have to stand out in the cold. I go early and get the things I need to price match. They have blitz items on pallets with employees standing around them and roped off around the garden center and toy area. No one can get past the rope until 5:00 am. It is bedlum but I love it. I usually buddy up with someone else and get stuff for him/her while they are getting stuff for me. Works out great - I am in and out before Target opens at 7:00.

Last year I was 9th in line for a lap top and I got there at 1:30 Am, Grabbed a chair and there I sat with the others in sporting goods. while my kids grabbed the blitz items at 5:00am, What I cant stand is the people who wonder up at 5:00am and try to get in the front of the line to get ahead of those who have waited so long

My wife was in the laptop line last year and there were several people that tried breaking into the line. They were able to get a couple of employees over to run most of them out.

We are a new super center first year as a super center before we were just a store. As a super center we will not close on Thanksgiving this year. The store will stay open. They will bring the pallets out the pallets will be covered with black wrap. People as far as I know will be allowed to stand in line near the item they want.

Ours is open, but they kind of discourage people on Thanksgiving by limiting the entrance after midnight. I know in KC they actually locked the doors until the sale was scheduled to go on. I was shocked that it wasn't as busy as the ones down here in Wichita.

Our SuperCenter just opened in August and I am wondering what they are going to do this year. I think the fairest thing to do is close at 1am and reopen and give EVERYONE an even playing field...

But yes, I do get annoyed when people are waiting in line outside for an hour and when the store opens people arriving cut in line...

Last year our Super Walmart had all of the items on pallets and each pallet had one employee assigned to stand guard. At 5am they cut off the shrink wrap to allow access to the items. Last year I was around the Cabbage Patch Newborn pallet with about eight others and I swear millions behind us....we also lived the experience of just tossing the dolls back to those behind us because no one would let us out!!!! Man I love Black Friday!!!

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Last year they stayed open all night, and I hope they do the same this year. It limits the mayhem because people can trickle in instead of rushing and running. Also one can shop for other items really early, around 2-3am (earlier with laptops), before anyone else is there, and get out during the madness.

They didn't hide where the laptops or televisions were, they were in plain site, roped off.. so you could pull up a chair and just wait in line if you wanted. A few smaller lines right next to the products you want is better then one huge mad rush. Plus you can better control line skippers by creating road blocks with carts and such, set up chairs, and watch television, etc. :)

last year on the opposite side of electronics was the line for the gameboys that were on sale... those they were throwing around to the people in line like footballs. lol :D

I was extremely pleased with how the way they handled it last year, which is why I'm going to the same one again this year as long as there's a good LCD hdtv for sale.

Mine stays open & I am happy for that. It is nice to go in the store instead of having to wait outside in the bitter cold. If soemone is looking for a certain early bird bargain, just show up early & find the area where it will be & wait. Alot of people do this at my store. I think that is fair to do. Be just the same as showing up early & having to stand outside IMO. Usually I get to Walmart around 4am.

my store will be closing at 8pm on thanksgiving.

and reopen at 4 am for the groucery section tehy marked it off last year

so people could come in and shop for food.

when they let the ropae down

I swear it was teh running of the bulls.LOL

I will never forget it

I was at a regiseter where i could see every direction. it was wild.

we had some items we never got ried of everything.

evenhad them them for a few weeks later.

I am hoping they have a comp again.

planning to keep my coupon till that day.

and if not working to early I will be there.

I can get in early to.LOl

I can go to the break room and wait.

then when its time I just go out the door and at the electronics.

LOL

thats my plan.LOL

Mine stays open & I am happy for that. It is nice to go in the store instead of having to wait outside in the bitter cold. If soemone is looking for a certain early bird bargain, just show up early & find the area where it will be & wait. Alot of people do this at my store. I think that is fair to do. Be just the same as showing up early & having to stand outside IMO. Usually I get to Walmart around 4am.

Same here in louisville! It gets extremely cold this time of year and it makes BF sooooo much better to be in a warm place. Luckily, our WM does a real nice job of spreading things out so there isn't a ton of people in one place. Plus, all the employees have a map of where every thing is (on pallets of course) then you just go and stand (or sit in my case ;) )in line. People aren't really pushy or anything. It's actually kinda peacful compared to others as I read! Good Luck!!!! :gdfight: (don't let this happen to you!)

I know last year in Lavale, Md I was in the store waiting from 1:30 a.m to when we could get the doorbusters. A lot of stuff we could go and get but we had to wait on the doorbusters. At least we didn't have to wait outside.

Don't (not closing) close here, they bring the palettes out 2 employees on each one at about 5:30, at 6, they cut the plastic off and run.

The only bad part is they didn't move enough stuff IMO, there were 3 palettes of toys side by side in the smaller aisle right next to electronics....Zoo!

:smart: Hey, I live in so IL also. I asked the layaway lady if they would price adjust something I had on layaway if it was on sale on BF. She asked her manager and she told me that all I needed to do was bring in the sales ad, when I pick up my lawaway on Dec 8th, and they will adjust the price then. Sounds weird, but I got the managers name just in case.:smart:

in our store last year we had a place where they could get tickets for the itmes they wanted. they would take them tothe register and pay.

then they would go to the family fun center since it was closed and locked.

and all teh big items like the comps. they couldnt throw them around. people couldnt steal from baskets. it made it easier.

hope they do that again this year.

there is no super walmarts in new jersey because of the unions in new jersey so they are all close for thanksgiving and open at 5 am . one thing that is upsetting is that the employees get first dibs on the sale items i think that is true because i saw 3 employees with the laptop that were door busters without standing on line in the @#*@ cold they just walked in and the laptops were behind the cust. service desk is this the norm:confused: :confused: